• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hormone Chaos/Depression/Feeling Crazy.. help please??

Misfit Toy

@WoolPippi -if you are noticing that zinc is making you a little better, there is a major clue. Women with PMDD usually have too much copper. Zinc balances and rids one of copper and so does B6.

I've had horrible PMDD now for 27 years. I'm estrogen dominant with PCOS, endometriosis and now a fibroid. Hormones make me worse, DIM did zip and I'm due for my period now and waiting to turn into lucifer. Lol.

Anyway look up copper overload in the body. It happens to women primarily and most of us have horrible menstrual cycles, migraines and PMDD is huge.

WoolPippi

@WoolPippi -if you are noticing that zinc is making you a little better, there is a major clue. Women with PMDD usually have too much copper. Zinc balances and rids one of copper and so does B6.

I've had horrible PMDD now for 27 years. I'm estrogen dominant with PCOS, endometriosis and now a fibroid. Hormones make me worse, DIM did zip and I'm due for my period now and waiting to turn into lucifer. Lol.

Anyway look up copper overload in the body. It happens to women primarily and most of us have horrible menstrual cycles, migraines and PMDD is huge.
So interesting.
As soon as the Zinc had effect I suspected Copper levels too. Two years ago I did a deliberate Copper Dump because my Zinc levels were way too low. It was an awful experience but I persisted and got my Zinc levels up.

This current episode did not feel like the Copper dump did two years ago.
But it might very well be Copper related nonetheless. One experience is not enough and the Zinc does seem important now. Thank you and good luck with the sulphur-rich transformations :devil:;)

(I'm going to take my Zinc for today, now.)

WoolPippi

just got back from the dr.
he prescribed Bupropion even though that's a NDRI which is not so good when MAO A is compromised. But it boosts dopamine which we determined is the one I lack the most, not serotonin.

(noradrenalin = alertness and energy; serotonine = obsessions and compulsion; dopamine = motivation and reward)

He had his coassistent make a list of all anti depressants and how they compare for noradrenalin, serotonin etc. : antidepressants overview.jpg

My AD is meant to be one of the anchor points for when things get really bad. The day I'm about to call the suicide help line I can take (part of) a pill to see whether it helps. He hadn't heard of PMDD much but accepted my explanation and how AD works on it in a different way from chronic depression.

He said that with my faulty enzymes and weird brain chemistry there was no predicting what would happen but it's a good thing to have anchor points.

He then asked if I can test drugs and supplements without taking them, just by holding them in my hand. I can. I can "feel" if something is good for me. Or too hyper (for example vegetable oils).
He suggested I might want to keep a pil in my bra instead of digesting it. See if it's just it's "influence" I need.
(before you laugh at me and my run of the mill GP, think of muscle resistance testing and water dowser. It's the same principle. Small changes in the micro electromagnetic field of (muscle) cells.)

He said there are three supplements known to stabilize PMS moods:
- krill oil
- Taurine
- Magnesium
He also suggested bio-rhodiola.

We also mused about what's happening in the hormone cycle. We know Progesteron and Estrogen are to be in balance. But the same goes for Cortisol and DHEA, he said. With stress cortisol rises and DHEA tanks. Who knows how this influences the mood. For production of DHEA lots of Zink is needed. He was therefor not surprised I feel better with a bit of Zink.
I think he advocated I take some DHEA but I'm not sure. He did show me a pharmacy that compounds it.

He then whipped out one of the methylation cycle images and we poured over that one for a while :)
He's been studying it for a year now, he said :thumbsup: and started to get a grip on how things work.

I've ordered (new) Lithium, GABA, Zink, Magnesium, Taurine, Niacin and Krill oil. And he wants to test my blood for liver enzymes CYP2C19, CYPsC9 and CYP2D6 but I might just as well look those up on my 12andme file ;)
the reason he wants to know is of those CYPs fail progesteron supplement fails too.

I'm on Day 14 of my cycle, keeping my fingers crossed. (I use PeriodTracker, a wonderful app.)
PS Buproprion is also the anti depressant with the least effect on libido. I have a "dead bedroom" on which me and my partner work and I cannot afford to have my libido reduced.

Thinktank

He then whipped out one of the methylation cycle images and we poured over that one for a while :)
He's been studying it for a year now, he said :thumbsup: and started to get a grip on how things work.
Am i reading that correctly? A GP... in the Netherlands.... studying methylation and supplements??? :jaw-drop::jaw-drop::jaw-drop:
Congratulations!

WoolPippi

Am i reading that correctly? A GP... in the Netherlands.... studying methylation and supplements??? :jaw-drop::jaw-drop::jaw-drop:
Congratulations!
he is going to do it full time even. He's giving up General Medicine and will be devoting all his time to the methylation cycle, DNA involvement and nutritional supplements.

He's cutting back on GP starting 1st of April and stops altogether 1st of August. Which means my visits to him won't be covered by insurance anymore. So I'm taking what I can get until then.

Today we looked at various blood panels, to see if I'm screwing things up too much with my cortisol supplements. I'm not, I'm doing fine. DHEAS is alarmingly low though.

We looked at my faulty DNA. My CYP2C19 is broken, making me an ultrafast metabolizer for this liver enzym. This means any Progesteron I produce (or supplement) is broken down way too fast. It's been causing oestrogen dominance all my life, he concluded today. No use trying to balance oestrogen by DIMsupplement (which I can't take anyway because of its sulphur content and my broken MTR/MTRR), people who are homozygous for CYP2C19*17 should just take adequate amounts of bio-identical Progesteron and other hormones.

He also looked at MTR/MTRR and wants me to investigate ways to boost BMTH, the other path to methylize stuff. He quoted Yasko's document "Genetic Bypass" nearly by heart and is really looking at his patients for confirmation of her findings.

We are investigating my low DHEAs. Is production supressed because of high cortisol supplementation? (ACTH suggests not since it's at 13 in a 0 to 40 range, meaning my brain still asks my adrenals to produce cortisol, I'm not maxing out on supplementation).
Or is it low because anything I do produce is lost to the production of other hormones? Which my CYP syphons away as soon as possible.

Results of Testosteron and free Testosteron will be in soon and will give some idea. (High T = enough DHEA to go around. Low T = not enough DHEA)
Renine will give more info on the cortisol. I probably need to take some fludrocortison as well, to aid the Aldosterone (and low blood pressure)
Thyroid looks good! It all righted itself once I started supplementing Progesteron and Hydrocortison (=Cortisol).
Perhaps if I get the Progesteron/DHEA/Pregnenolone right I can lower Hydrocortison

It's amazing to be able to look at this puzzle with someone who has so much experience as a doctor and who is so genuily interested. I'd never thought of CYP in relation to hormones.

Now that I'm in recovery from ME I can make distinctions in symptoms. ME-symptoms are different from hormonal symptoms (which I learn to divide in blood sugar/insuline symptoms; adrenal symptoms; menstrual cycle symptoms; Progesteron (as a neuro transmitter) symptoms and stresshormone symptoms)

to me, ME symptoms focus on that tiredness that radiates from your very cells. The overwhelmedness every cell seems to feel. Seems to scream it even. And its connection to the bodily stress system involving adrenals, wiredness, feverish thinking and a body that feels under threat. The feel of these symptoms are different than the one I describe above.
(and to complete the list: thyroid-coldness seems to come from within your bones. That and sluggishness.)