• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hope for ME sufferers (Malta)

Ember

Sunday, May 12, 2013
by Claudia Calleja

Health Ministry says that it will ‘seek the way forward’ for debilitating illness

Sufferers of the debilitating illness ME are inching closer to obtaining the Government support they have long been fighting for as the Health Ministry said it would “seek the way forward” to help them.

“We have to study ways how the ministry supports these patients from a more holistic point of view,” a ministry spokesman said, adding that Health Minister Godfrey Farrugia recently met an ME sufferer to better understand their plight....

In Malta, ME and FM are not recognised as a disability which means that sufferers do not have free access to medication and therapy they may need to live better lives.

ME sufferer Rebecca Sultana, founder of support group ME Sufferers Malta, has long been fighting for this recognition and was glad to hear that the new Government planned to address the matter.

“Our plight has been ignored for the past 12 years. Patients have been ridiculed and left to deteriorate, many live below the bread line and all have heard more rhetoric than they could stomach. I sincerely hope that, unlike others, this government really turns his words into action,” she told The Sunday Times of Malta.

Last year, the Health Ministry said it was assessing the possibility of training local professionals to deliver therapies to focus on treating the illness as a psychological/psychosocial condition.

This sparked outrage among patients who said such statements reflected the lack of proper awareness in the health sector and further accentuated the myth that ME was “all in the head”.

Actor Kevin Drake, also an ME sufferer, stressed it was important that the authorities recognised it as a neuro-immune condition. In 1969, the World Health Organisation defined it as a physical, neurological illness.
Attached to the article are "Excerpts from a diary sent to The Sunday Times of Malta by an ME sufferer. Full diary can be seen in the pdf link below.”

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20130512/local/Hope-for-ME-sufferers.469377

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
We have a member here from Malta who is involved with this--maybe she will tell us more.

Sushi

ukxmrv

"Holistic" sounds as if the government intends to rollout it's earlier promise of training of local professionals to treat it as a psych disease. Or dress up that earlier promise in some way that patients will be fooled into thinking there will be real physical treatments available them a la the UK government and it's "cfs clinics".