• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Homeopathy for mental fatigue: lessons from a randomized, triple blind, placebo-controlled cross-ove

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
just for you, Esther12 ;)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23025450
free full text:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3517425/

BMC Complement Altern Med. 2012 Oct 1;12:167. doi: 10.1186/1472-6882-12-167.
Homeopathy for mental fatigue: lessons from a randomized, triple blind, placebo-controlled cross-over clinical trial.
Dean ME, Karsandas R, Bland JM, Gooch D, MacPherson H.
Source

Dept. of Health Sciences, University of York, York, UK.
Abstract

BACKGROUND:
Difficulty in controlling attention can lead to mental fatigue in the healthy population. We identified one trial reporting a benefit in patients' attention using a homeopathic formula preparation.

One component of the preparation was potassium phosphate, widely available off the shelf as Kali phos 6x for cognitive problems.

The aim of this exploratory trial was to assess the effectiveness of Kali phos 6x for attention problems associated with mental fatigue.

METHODS:
We recruited student and staff volunteers (University of York) with self-reported mental fatigue, excluding any using homeopathy or prescribed stimulants, or with a diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome.

In a triple blind, cross-over, placebo-controlled clinical trial, 86 volunteers were randomized to receive Kali phos 6x or identical placebo 10 minutes before taking a psychological test of attention (Stroop Colour-Word Test). One week later they were crossed over and took the other preparation before repeating the test.

RESULTS:
We found no evidence of a treatment effect in a comparison of Kali phos 6x with placebo (Kali phos minus placebo = -1.1 (95% CI -3.0 to 0.9, P = 0.3) Stroop score units, Cohen effect size = -0.17) even when allowing for a weak period effect with accuracy scores in the second period being higher than those in the first (P = 0.05).

We observed a ceiling effect in the Stroop test which undermined our ability to interpret this result.

CONCLUSIONS:
Kali phos 6x was not found to be effective in reducing mental fatigue. A ceiling effect in our primary outcome measure meant that we could not rule out a type II error. Thorough piloting of an adequate outcome measure could have led to an unequivocal result.

CURRENT CONTROLLED TRIALS: ISRCTN16521161.

Esther12

Thanks Willow.

This study looks too well conducted to be of interest to me though!

I wanted a usual care + homeopathy vs usual care alone for fatigue. Triple blind placebo control means that they will have done a good job in accounting for all the biases that I'm interested in... and objective outcome measures too! This study is sadly incomparable to the psychosocial CFS guff we have to put up with. Maybe one day we'll get some research as credible as that done by homeopaths.

Esther12

Thanks Willow, that looks more like it. Don't put yourself out though... I think it's unlikely that we'll stumble upon one that really allows us to make a compelling point. Interesting that the one you just posted showed an improvements for self-reported fatigue and QoL, but not anxiety and depression. Too tired to have a good look now though... night night.

taniaaust1

One thing about homoeopathic meds which doesnt seem to have had any consideration here is they shouldnt be prescribed like ordinary meds where as a certain med is given for one symptom. With homoeopathic meds it is very important to properly match the homeoopathic med with the "person" being treated (not just with a symptom), it isnt a case of one med for all with a symptom and a vaguely described symptom at that.

A more though matching of a homoeopathic med would look at that symptom in more depth too then just "mental fatigue", its too vague.. A good homoeopath to prescribe a drug for this would also be looking at things like is the mental fatigue worst in the morning? worst at night? worst with exercise? worst after eatting? etc etc to help come to a suitable homeoopathic match.

If you want to seriously try a homoeopathic med, see a good homoeopath who can individually tailor what is most likely to help you.