• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

HLA DR in 23andMe Gene Set

Valentijn

Does that mean the other HLA genes have more meaning??
Typically yes. There are associations between most HLA types and various diseases. But the strength of that association can vary quite a bit. You can look up your HLA types to see what they are associated with in real research.

So for instance, is the first/last string dominant, or is the correct gene a mixture of the two? :s
There can be two types, one from each parent. So both are pertinent.

You're also referring to a DRA gene. Is that an amalgamation of the ones I have above, or just a different gene that wasn't tested for me?
The HLA genes include DRA, but also (from the results you listed) HLA-A, HLA-B, HLA-C, DRB1, DRB3, etc. There are many HLA genes, but mostly clustered close together from what I recall.

@misery guts,

To answer your question, your two 'shoemaker' HLA-DR haplotypes are:

15-6-51 - Post Lyme/MS/Narcolepsy
17-2-52A - Mold Susceptible

The correlation between 15-6-51 and MS, as well as narcolepsy are well supported in the literature. Links to source papers can be found on this SNPedia page:

http://snpedia.com/index.php/Rs3135388

You also possess a haplotype that is linked to susceptibility to Coeliac Disease.

I'm not sure whether the link to Lyme is supported by peer review or not, and the links to mold susceptibility are supported only by Dr. Shoemaker's own correlations.

I highly recommend you read this thread and others, as @Valentijn makes excellent points about the lack of concrete science behind the correlations.

SuzieSam

I get the impression that all this 23and me stuff is a total waste of time and energy. It seems like a wild goose chase. Looking back over threads, people went nuts over it in the early days, only to find a lot of things were wrong or not actionable.

Has anyone really found anything they could use to improve their health? :oops:

Valentijn

Has anyone really found anything they could use to improve their health? :oops:
Yes. We just have to ignore a bunch of crap on the internet (mostly Yasko-related) and find good sources or read the research. I have a program which automatically pulls out very rare results and compares them to the NIH's dbSNP databases to label genes and mutations, etc.

But I don't think data from 23andMe is going to cure anyone, unless there's been one helluva misdiagnosis :p

SuzieSam

Thanks @Valentijn. I've been working during if there's something to it, but it's too vast for me to comprehend right now. So, good news for the intellectually compromised if we don't have to delve into it... :p

...but shame that it's turned out to be a load of junk.

btdt

@@Valentijn

I was dx with mcs this year after having fibro cf dx since 94... so you think the Yasko stuff if whooy? I was thinking I should do her testing did 23 and me and ran it thru a few things but can't think well enough to sort it most days.
Two hints from 23 and me and mcs are alpha 1 antitrypsin and the detox genes. Do you have any thoughts on either of these.

I had been thinking the yasko methylation may help me to detox if I could get it right... I think I was just getting it sorted when an infection took me down a couple of months... now I can't recall and have to start over. If it is a waste of time why bother...

Is there any use for 23 and me relating to cfs mcs... I got a list of things you pick... I am not too fussy on the dx at this point.

btdt

I had thought kids with autism were getting better using her ideas but I may recall that wrong... I have her book on my list of books to buy later. more books I can't make sense of seems a waste of money.. really... I have a lot of books.

Is it just her detox you think nonsense or all of her work? I don't want to through the baby out with the bathwater if there is something potentially helpful there.

Valentijn

I had thought kids with autism were getting better using her ideas but I may recall that wrong...
She hasn't published anything to that effect. And her forum prohibits any "negative" discussions, so it wouldn't include failures of treatments to have an effect.

Is it just her detox you think nonsense or all of her work?
I haven't seen any "work" from her of value. A couple of the SNPs she lists do have a significant impact, but that's nothing she contributed to the knowledge of, and she's substantially undercut that work by introducing so much quackery into it.

btdt

I can't recall what I seen there but I was going to buy some supplements from her site... b12 adenoise something like that .. I have a defect in a glutathione gene think there was something to treat that and BH something or other... methylation...

I should be reading it over again as I have it all messed up...
What do you think of genetic genie?
I did that too... I think it was from gg I ended up on the yasko site...

it is hard to cut thru it all...
Thanks for your opinion I will hold off ordering anything till I know what I am doing that may take some time... I tend to get desperate and buy stuff to try .. lots of bad choices in my past some how I will bet I am not alone in that one.
Thanks for you help

ivorin

I've been looking into these recently, since they're pretty interesting. Basically the HLA genes are more actively evolving than other genes, hence it might be a place to look at regarding "new" diseases. It's pretty wild, since they've got missense mutations all over the place, and it's quite common to see SNPs there with 3 or 4 possible alleles, instead of the usual 2 (or 1).

From what I can see, HLA phenotypes are completely determined by SNPs. The primary ones looked at for disease risk and transplant rejections are DRB1 + DQA1 + DQB1. Though I've also seen phenotypes listed for DRA, and was able to determine full DRA phenotypes for 6 ME patients based on their 23andMe data, and narrow it down to three phenotypes for the remaining 5 ME patients, of which each would have two different ones:
Patients A & B: DRA*010202 (homozygous)
Patient C: DRA*010101 (homozygous)
Patients D, E, & F: DRA*010101 + DRA*010203 (heterozygous)
Patients G, H, I, J, & K: Two of DRA*010101 or DRA*010201 or DRA*010202 (heterozygous)

Unfortunately DRB1 is exponentially more complex, and the 23andMe testing on the gene is extremely superficial - just 5 or 6 out of 200+ relevant SNPs are tested. And the ones that are tested aren't the useful ones! But it's possible that some of the 23andMe SNPs near the gene will indicate which alleles we have in the relevant SNPs. DQA1 and DQB1 look similarly complex and sparsely tested.

Valentijn, are you able to tell me of my susceptibilities according to my file? If you don't have time I am willing to pay for it. I am in Croatia and have so many health problems with no help, I think it may be the mould. This is my 23andme set uploaded. I can barely look at computers. Please help and thank you!

Attachments

• genome_Orin_Ivan_Vrkas_v4_Full_20170418065231.zip
    5.1 MB · Views: 12

anniekim

I took a look at the missense mutations, but there's no smoking guns, unfortunately.
I took a look at the missense mutations, but there's no smoking guns, unfortunately.

@Valentijn can I be cheeky and ask if you could do the same for me? The only problem is I have tried to upload my raw data file from 23andme but I can't seem to upload the file on here. I am on an iPad I don't know whether that makes any difference. Is there a way I can just copy and paste the Missence mutations data to you? How would find them in my raw data on 23andme? Thank you very much.