August 8th, 2016: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Jody Smith joins with other ME voices in honor of Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Histamine reaction: Methyl-B12 vs Ado-B12

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by PeterPositive, Jun 23, 2014.

1. PeterPositive

PeterPositive Senior Member

I tend to have problems with histamine, especially with cold dry weather, and I think I have noticed different reactions to Methyl-B12 vs Ado-B12, where the former seem to cause an increase in histamine symptoms while the latter doesn't at all.

I have observed this for several months. 3000-5000mcg Ado-B12 don't seem to cause any histamine reaction while even 1000-2000mcg Methyl-B12 often times do.

Is this somehow expected? Or is indication of anything in particular?

My methylfolate dosage is always the same (1200mcg) so I don't think it can be part of the problem. Also the other supplements I am taking haven't changed.

thanks

2. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    Histamine is affected by methylation. Adenosyl doesn't affect methylation like the other forms of B12. It does help the mitochondria though.

PeterPositive likes this.
  3. PeterPositive

Thanks. I guess it makes sense although I am still not clear of how this works exactly.

When I came on this forum I learned the differences of action between the two active forms of cobalamin. At the time I had very high homocysteine ( > 90 μmol/L ) and was taking a multi-B complex that had folic acid and adenosyl-B12.

Even though it was the "wrong" form of B12, my Hcy levels went down very rapidly anyways. I guess probably my body was able to methylate it anyways... That's curious because I am also MTHFR C677T++ ... LOL :) So against almost all recommendations, those vitamins worked anyways. At least to bring it down from 90+ to 15-ish.

When I finally added methyl-B12 I didn't see any huge differences as regards Hcy levels, it went down a couple more units but I did have some other benefits.

4. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    Hi Peter. Here are some comments from Freddd...oh, I might have already posted the last one to you...

5. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
    @PeterPositive Could you tell me exactly your histamine symptoms are? Thanks

6. PeterPositive

@ahmo Thanks, nice recap :)

@minkeygirl mainly it is a feeling of "pins and needles" in the torso, feet and hands. There are some foods that trigger this reaction for me such as tomatoes and spinaches. Oddly enough this doesn't happen with fish such as tuna or shrimps. And it usually gets worse in cold dry weather and after intercourse :(

7. minkeygirl

Left Coast
    @PeterPositive Well at least you're having intercourse! A small price to pay? Thanks, I'm always trying to figure out some of the crazy "things" I have.

8. PeterPositive

Seems like Adenosyl-B12 has helped quite a bit in that department, especially for recuperating after any sort of physical exertion. Zinc, B6 and Arginine also seem to help with libido.

At the moment I am taking around 4000mcg, of Ad-B12. I am building it up pretty slowly. How much do you guys take?

9. minkeygirl

Left Coast
    I have no hormones so no amount of arginine is going to help. I'm on MB12 and HB12 right now, 1000 mcg. When I run out my doc wants me to go with 1000 ADB12.

See more popular forum discussions.