• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Histamine free or histamine low diet. (Bowel troubles)

Hey there everyone,
Anyone else here following a histamine free diet?
I wanted to share it because it has helped me, maybe it can help someone else as well.
English is not my native language, so sorry if I make odd mistakes :)

I still suffer from chronic fatigue, but in the past I have had severe bowel troubles that I have found a solution to.
What I had was: (sorry for the distasteful part)
- overal pain in the bowels and stomach
- bloated bowels, not because they where full but because they where irritated/inflamed
- very soft but sticky stools, so bad that it would not come out, sometimes for 14 days, which made me really miserable. Inflamed bowels that are so full just hurt like crazy. Things the doctor gave me caused pain and sometimes even blood.
- stomach pains during the night but also pain in my left shoulder and under left ribcage (probably because everything was pressing against everything)

Nothing helped, I have had this a 'long' time, years. I tried many diets, had a doctor look inside my stomach and bowels, and had a bowel and stomach biopsy. Went to an allergy doctor who tested for countless of allergies and found nothing, went to an internist who did nothing :p lol, we all know doctors like that probably.
I had no IBS, no gluten troubles, no bacteria, and so on and on.
It was unsolved and hopeless until the allergy doctor shrugged her shoulders and said she did not know what it was, and then asked me if I was willing to try a Histamine free diet (HIT diet).
I was very willing of course.
I already followed a lactose and dairy free diet.
And it finally helped. It took a couple of weeks for me to find out how to cook without histamine foods, but I managed. Within a week I started feeling better and within a month my bowels started to sort of 'normalize'. I follow it for two years now and I actually found out that I can eat some of those foods again without troubles.

If you suffer from bowel and stomach troubles like the above, and the doctors cannot help, this diet might be worth a try. It cannot really hurt if you do it for a little while. I could notice a difference in a week, so I would say that trying it two weeks might be enough to find out.

-----------------------
I have not found a good/complete food list in English yet, if anyone is interested I am very willing to translate my own list given by the allergy doctor. Here is one that comes a bit close to what I do, but its not complete, mine is a bit more strict. Feel free to ask questions.
http://chronichives.com/useful-information/histamine-restricted-diet/

Thanks! And for the link also, I will check it out for sure :)
I was wondering what diagnosis you had, and if you had one. My allergy doctor did not understand what I had, so she did not 'diagnose' me. Which was ok at that time, I was already over the moon because following the diet helped. But no specific diagnosis, and I have found that I am not a typical case of histamine intolerance. (or so it seems so far).
Your link is awesome (was just checking it in between lines :p) there is more in dept information then what I have found so far I think.

Gingergrrl

@JuliaMaple Your link to the low histamine diet that you follow is pretty similar to mine except mine is a little bit more strict b/c of the level of reactions that I had. Although there are a few foods on the 'No" side of the list that I can tolerate and we are all so different. The SIGHI list that ahmo posted is actually the basis of the diet that I follow. It was a free group but now you have to pay to join which I tried but was too complicated to do from the U.S.