• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Histamine Elimination Diet

I am looking to start a very strict histamine elimination diet to see if it can help me. I want to eliminate as much histamine as possible. Looking online I find much of the info to be very conflicting. As of right now I am planning on eating fresh steak and chicken, with rice, and the tolerated veggies for every meal. Do this for a week or two, see how I feel, and then begin to slowly reintroduce foods.

Does this sound like a good plan or would you recommend I use other foods for the first 2 weeks of the elimination phase?

camas

I'm not sure. Are you also trying to eliminate foods to which you might also be allergic? If not, I'd just follow a basic low histamine diet for awhile and see how I felt. I've been following the diet in my signature for about a year now. My improvement was slow and cumulative, but I could tell within a few weeks that I was feeling better.

If you are trying to figure out food allergens too, I can recommend an UltraClear fast. It's a medical food that is rice based and with it they send a booklet on how to slowly start reintroducing foods. Unfortunately it's a bit pricey, but it did help me pinpoint my diary and soy allergies.

Helen

Hi @Xhale19991 ,

If you want to check if you are sensitive to histamins and biogene amines you can also buy the supplement DAO enzyme and take this 15 minutes before meals.

If you have had reactions to food high in histamine before, and don´t get problems after taking the DAO enzyme you have the answer.

Martial

I am looking to start a very strict histamine elimination diet to see if it can help me. I want to eliminate as much histamine as possible. Looking online I find much of the info to be very conflicting. As of right now I am planning on eating fresh steak and chicken, with rice, and the tolerated veggies for every meal. Do this for a week or two, see how I feel, and then begin to slowly reintroduce foods.

Does this sound like a good plan or would you recommend I use other foods for the first 2 weeks of the elimination phase?

You can try a supplement called Neuro potek, this will stop the allergy response of the body and is mainly used for cell mast activation disorder, however is just as useful for this.. This will stop both the H1 and H2 receptor for allergy response and make things all around easier for you.. It is a highly recommended and well known product here as well.. Just too damn expensive :/

Here is some info on histamine diets too.. Helen also gave a great suggestion!

The other thing to do is just avoid obvious offenders like gluten, all forms of wheat, processed sugar, vegetable seed oils, lactose containing dairy, and eggs if you think casein can be an issue.

Just out of curiosity did you ever try Dr. Shoemakers protocol for Myco toxins? I know you talked about a moldy environment before. If that is an issue that protocol can clear that crap out in as soon as two weeks, stating of course you are not currently re exposing yourself.

Also how is the methylation protocol helping you so far?

Thinktank

Reducing histamine intolerance needs a multifactorial approach.

Reduce foods high in histamine
Avoid foods that trigger mast cell degranulation
Avoid probiotics that increase histamine
Avoid fermented food and supplements
Avoid stress triggers
Avoid supplements / vitamins that increase histamine and trigger mast cell degranulation
Add supplements like low dose vitamin C (around 500mg), quercetin, mangosteen etc. that either stop a histamine
reaction or have positive effects on mast cells.
Add neutral probiotics and probiotics that crowd out the offenders

About your diet choices, too much meat like steak may cause problems, histidine -> histamine. Just try out a few things and keep at it for at least 4 weeks, n=1

sregan

Hi @Xhale19991 ,

If you want to check if you are sensitive to histamins and biogene amines you can also buy the supplement DAO enzyme and take this 15 minutes before meals.

If you have had reactions to food high in histamine before, and don´t get problems after taking the DAO enzyme you have the answer.

Helen, are you referring to "Histame" here or something else? Daosin, D-Hist, Histamine Block, HistDao...

Found here: http://www.amazon.com/Xymogen-HistDAO/dp/B009SE72Y6/ref=sr_1_6?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1396032967&sr=1-6&keywords=dao+enzyme

If anyone has experience with any of these please chime in...

Seven7

Seven
Here is the tricky thing, if you have food allergies (Like I discovered) then any try on food will be faulty, the more I tried it got worse for me (since I was migrating to most of the food that I was allergic too). So not only do you have to eliminate the allergy foods, raise histamine ones and the ones u are sensitive to. I am allergic to beef, Celery, most nuts, Rice, wheat, banana, green beans......... Chocolate, coffee :)nervous:)

I never got gut symptoms except inflammation and joint pain. At the exception of banana that I figured gave me allergies (sneezing and runny nose next day) and celery gave me diarrhea.

Helen

Thanks for your help guys. I bought the redwine headache cookbook and will be doing the vegetarian diet she suggest for a month. If it helps I will continue.

I also bought zyrtec and zantac. Was wondering if it mattered when I took these and what doses you'd recommend. Do they need to be taken at separate times during the day?

sregan

Thanks for your help guys. I bought the redwine headache cookbook and will be doing the vegetarian diet she suggest for a month. If it helps I will continue.

I also bought zyrtec and zantac. Was wondering if it mattered when I took these and what doses you'd recommend. Do they need to be taken at separate times during the day?

Zyrtec affected my sleep, be on the alert for that. I took it in the AM

Critterina

If you are trying to figure out food allergens too, I can recommend an UltraClear fast. It's a medical food that is rice based and with it they send a booklet on how to slowly start reintroducing foods. Unfortunately it's a bit pricey, but it did help me pinpoint my diary and soy allergies.

NO! It is pricey, and it is a medical food, but it's the wrong thing in this case. The MetaGenics UltraClear (peach flavor) that was sold to me included acetylcysteine, which is contraindicated by histamine intolerance. If you have HI and use this (like I did) you may get really sick! Fortunately, it only took about 3 days to get better.

Anne

I've been researching low-histamine diets and I'm finding so much conflicting information.

Some interesting blog posts:

https://mastcellblog.wordpress.com/2013/07/21/histaminediets/

http://alisonvickery.com.au/histamine-intolerance-which-food-list-should-you-use/

https://healinghistamine.com/histamine-in-food-lists/

In the end, I'm left with so many questions....

So I wanted to ask the rest of you about:

- coffee - what have you read and what are your experiences

- cacao - what have you read and what are your experiences

- chick peas in a tetra package - what have you read and what are your experiences

Grateful for hellp!