• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

HIgh Vitamin B12

Freddd

Hi Freddd,

I am new to this site however your post caught my attention. I have been going through test after test to see what is affecting my symptoms. In some recent blood tests I have high B12 and Selenium. I do not supplement for either. My folate test was not flagged high but is greater than 24. In addition to fatigue sympoms I am having some strange issues with my mouth/gums. My bottom gums are uniformily receding rapidily like they are just eroding away. I have been all over to dentists & Perios with no explanations and my doctor can offer no help either. My teeth are healthy, never had periodontal disease and have had my teeth cleaned twice a year for years. This started happening over a year ago along with my other CFS symptoms. My whole bottom gum line has receded and alot of my bottom teeth have shifted over the past year. I fear they will get loose and start falling out. Your post was interesting as to the copper inbalance, I have not had that checked. Just wondering if you have any additional incite as I am desperate for help.

HOW HIGH is your B12. The number is what is needed. Send me a private message please, This sounds serious.

my tests never even looked into b12 or Im learning lots of things. I guess I need to go to my doctor and get alot of this newly tested.

I am new to the site not sure how to private message?

I have had thyroid checked by my primary and told all normal. I have moved to a functional MD who is checking more into my thyroid levels and so far they are coming back normal. But I will be meeting with my doctor in a few weeks to discuss results.

Freddd

I am new to the site not sure how to private message?

I have had thyroid checked by my primary and told all normal. I have moved to a functional MD who is checking more into my thyroid levels and so far they are coming back normal. But I will be meeting with my doctor in a few weeks to discuss results.

A high B12 level without supplementation can indicate liver problems for instance. However, 1500pg/ml, above the 95% line is "high" but says more about diet and serum half life that anything. but 7000pg/ml could be liver damage. Low B12 MAY be a cause for Hashimoto's thyroiditis. The thyroid contains normally a lot of AdoCbl in mitochondria to power what it does. Some people have had thyroid recovery with B12 and cofactors during an apparently active stage.

Go to your INBOX.

There are likely a lot of factors affecting your gums. Maybe you can stop it before you loose all your teeth. I lost half of mine, uppers and I got started in time and saved my lowers so far.

Eastman

@ashleysky10

You may also want to check out vitamin B1/thiamine. The following excerpt was taken from an article by Dr Derrick Lonsdale, Are High Folate and Vitamin B12 Linked to Low Thiamine in Autism and Other Disorders?
Many years ago I was confronted by the case of a six-year-old child who had been suffering from an extraordinarily common problem for approximately two years. He would develop a sore throat, fever and swollen glands in the neck... his diet was appalling, full of sugar, so I had a blood test performed that showed that he was vitamin B1 deficient. But there was another strange association. Folate, a B vitamin and vitamin B12, also a B vitamin, both had very high concentrations in the blood...

...Because of the sugar association and the finding of vitamin B1 deficiency, I treated the child with megadoses of thiamine (vitamin B1) and sent him home. To my great surprise, not only did his health improve drastically, his feverish episodes ceased and the repeat of the blood tests showed that the levels of folate and vitamin B12 had fallen into the normal range.

As for your gums, I think copper was what helped Freddd's gums.

Incidentally, copper deficiency may be associated with thiamine deficiency, at least in ruminants. The paper, The effects of copper status on thiamine metabolism in sheep fed a high sulfur diet, concluded:
Copper status likely plays an important role in the metabolism of thiamine. Copper deficiency in ruminants could predispose an animal to thiamine deficiency, particularly in regions where animals are exposed to excess S in drinking water of feeds.

I do have a 3 year old son who was diagnosed with Autism this year. He is non-verbal but understands everything and very smart and social. All of this is so concerning and scary.

bread.

HI Schesche69,

I'm very sorry that Rich isn't here either. Here is the deal on the glutathione best as I can. The response I had to glutathione is a "hallmark" symptom of adult onset CblC disease that is of unknown frequency. The big question is how much of that effect is due to quantity. My B12 serum level, based on 3x10mg subcutaneously daily, is >220,000 pg/ml. Now that is high. High enough to maintain my failing CNS pretty well. The "official" symptomatic treatment with CblC is HyCbl, folic acid and ALCAR. According to the literature it works poorly at best with adults. The MeCbl, AdoCbl, L-methylfolate (30mg/day) and L-carnitine fumarate makes my body almost normal and works very well. However, what clobbered be lately was refeeding syndrome, a series of induced deficiency symptoms from continuous attempts at healing. I became low on copper, my gums disintegrated and low boron causing uncontrollable tooth decay and I had all my upper teeth out. FMS, CFS and similar things if interpreted as refeeding syndrome and a person makes the right suppositions of what is causing the change in symptoms, is mostly correctable. Almost everybody with these symptoms appears to have a 4 way deadlock involving both active b12s, active folate and whichever form of l-carnitine that is genetically most suitable for the person. It's not easy, is very complicate. That list of symptoms from refeeding syndrome is now expanded to 8 items. that I can positively identify. Too bad nobody could recognize copper and boron deficiencies from symptoms before I lost my teeth and had more nerve damage. My lower teeth have been saved for the time being as my gum color abnormality and damage stopped short when I started copper and boron, manganese and molybdenum..

Hi Freddd, I hope you are very well, is there any chance that we could get in contact via mail or skype or anything else? Best, Christoph