• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High Prolactin Causes Severe Fatigue.

Ema

It sounds like stress can cause mild elevations in prolactin, and it often occurs in concert with hypothyroidism.

"Stressant conditions might be per se able to increase PRL plasma levels in most of the patients with hypothalamic amenorrhea, although in a certain part of them, PRL levels are normal or at the lower level of normality.

PRL excess can be due also to an abnormal thyroid function. In general, both PRL excess and thyroid dysfunction are affective in inducing an impairment up to the blockade of the ovarian cycle. On such basis, it becomes evident that if PRL or thyroid disturbances are present, they have to be eliminated.

Hypothyroidism is frequent, and it is characterized by the elevation of both TSH and PRL plasma levels. It is relevant to evaluate both hormones together since hyperprolactinemia together with a normal TSH levels (i.e., below 4.5 μIU/ml) is highly suggestive for a stress-induced hyperprolactinemia (with PRL below 30–35 ng/ml) or for a pituitary micro adenoma (with PRL above 40 ng/ml)."

Frontiers in gynecological endocrinology. Volume 3, Ovarian function and reproduction - from needs to possibilities /: Pharmacological and Integrative Treatment of Stress-Induced Hypothalamic Amenorrhea

Pyrrhus

About the Buspirone/Prolactin challenge test:

John Richardson's buspirone/prolactin challenge test may suggest a possible problem in the hypothalamus:
ETA: from Charles Shepherd's book, Living with ME: (not going to write it all)
"When people with ME/CFS were given busprione, their output of prolactin far exceeded that of the control group (as well as that of a group with depression). This type of experiment has also been repeated by other researchers, most of whom have reported similar findings (see refs 156, 158, 172, 173 & 178).

It has also been suggested that a buspirone challenge could become a use objective test for monitoring progress in ME/CFS,or even a diagnostic test. Levels of prolactin before administration of buspirone are, incidentally, quite normal in people with ME/CFS. A raised level of resting prolactin may indicate the presence of a pituitary tumour."

See also:
Relationship Between SPECT Scans and Buspirone Tests in Patients with ME/CFS (Richardson, 1998)
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...ship-between-spect-scans-and-buspirone.10441/
(only available to Phoenix Rising members with more than 100 posts)