• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High methylmalonic acid (MMA) test result

Hello.

I did the serum methylmalonic acid(MMA) test and it comes at 0,62 umol/L, Ref: 0,08 – 0,56.

So, my MMA is out of range.

Serum B12 comes at 997 pg/ml, without suplemention, and Homocysteine at 4,7 umol/L. Folic acid at 21,3 ng/ml.

Is this a diagnosis of active b12 deficiency?

I have Country Life, Methyl B12, 5000 mcg; Source Naturals, Dibencozide and methyl folate 400 mcg.

I started at 1 tablet of methylb12 and half of dibencozide and fell sleepy, tired. Is this normal at the beginning?

I had the MTHFR 677CT Hetero mutation.

My symptoms are:

- Fatigue

- Brain fog

- Depression

- Low body temperature

- Hair loss

- Tremors on head at day, legs and hands when sleeping

- Periodic movement limb disorder at sleeping

- No - Refreshing sleep

- Constipation

- Joint pain and weakness on legs

- Low stomach acid

These symptoms correlate to b12 deficiency?

How much methylb12 and adenob12 should I start to take?

Thank you very much!!

pogoman

Your symptoms correlate with B12 deficiency altho they are shared with many other diseases and syndromes so you may have more than one issue.

High MMA along with normal/high serum B12 levels may indicate a cellular B12 deficiency issue such as transcobalimin 2 deficiency.
Hydroxocobalamin B12 orally or injections are listed as a treatment so that may be better for you if your have bad reactions to methyl types.
Also, lithium orotate may help transfer serum B12 into cells.

http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/transcobalamin-deficiency
http://www.aafp.org/afp/2003/0301/p979.html

Thanks’.

But since I don’t get anxious, insomnia, but fell tired and sleepy, this is a symptom of under methylation instead of over methylation?

pogoman

Have you talked to a doctor about your health issues?
Its possible other things like the mitochondrial or endocrine systems etc are subpar and B12 is not working very well.
But I would suggest talking to a doctor to see if other tests should be run, taking supplements blindly just gets expensive.