• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

high mercury, low glutathione, poor detoxer (α-Ketophenylacetic Acid, α-Hydroxyisobutyric Acid)

A recent nutraeval test I revealed the following:

1) mercury is 6 times the upper limit
2) glutathione is rock bottom
3) 'Toxin & Detox Markers' α-Ketophenylacetic Acid (from Styrene) and α-Hydroxyisobutyric Acid (from MTBE) is borderline high

Is a mercury serum RBC test just as valid or more valid than a hair sample test?

I'm not sure what to address first. Clearly all three problems are connected.

Hanna

Serum RBC will be usefull to verify if there is an acute mercury toxicity, not a chronic one. Heavy metals escape the blood and have great affinity for tissues (especially those who are loaded with lipids, like the brain).

Generally, you have to do a provocation test with DMPS to delocate mercury, and then measure it in urine, but it may be very uncomfortable in the case you are loaded with heavy metals.

Hanna

I don't know. I had a hair analysis done several years ago. The result showed a very heavy load of lead, which is completely logical with years of handling lead pigments without protection. So I tend to think it is somehow useful.
You have to follow good guidelines in order to minimise bias (like not using types of shampoos etc. I don't remember, sorry, but you may find some more info on previous threads).

Johnmac

Hair tests are regarded by Dr Cutler as the closest thing to a reliable test for mercury toxicity. But they require skilled interpretation. This is available on the Frequent Dose Chelation Yahoo group - which is the best place to be for mercury questions.

Injected provocation tests can be dangerous: dmpsbackfire.com