• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High Iodine supplementation - Iodoral/Lugols

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
If you have been around the block for some time, you should have read about Iodine supplementation in high doses (or actually in reasonnable doses) in health forums.

Anyone have had improvements with these? The theory and some people experiences convinced me long ago and I will probably try with 25 mg or 12,5 mg of Iodine soon, together with the methylation protocol, to avoid lithium messing my thyroid more also.

Did you know that in some studies they discovered that the first day of "overdosing" with Iodine the urine excretion of several metals multiplied? And that a month later aluminum starting coming out? Not to mention the noted improvements in thyroid conditions. Pesky aluminum I have to get you out! With your shill, Fluoride! :D

http://betweenthetemples.com/2011/08/01/iodine-supplementation/

caledonia

I've done some iodine supplementation but could never get beyond miniscule doses (like fractions of one drop of Iodoral) without feeling revved up and overstimulated. I have autoimmune thyroiditis.

Soooo, I would be very cautious.

Methylation + killing off gut bugs will make metals come out.

I've had a 50% improvement in thyroid function from methylation alone.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Good stuff caledonia, this is why is always interesting to ask first with people that has similar issues to you. I have had high thyroid antibodies so lets be cautious yes!

Any experience with killing gut bugs? I think mine must be quite devastated after drinking raw ginger, onion and garlic, all them have showed strong antibiotic effects in studies.

Regarding this topic, justy wanted to know the details of your theory about glutathione depletion causing HPA dysfunction and hence low thyroid/adrenals. You told me once and it sounded fascinating and possibly true. It would go in the line of Rich´s theory...

caledonia

Good stuff caledonia, this is why is always interesting to ask first with people that has similar issues to you. I have had high thyroid antibodies so lets be cautious yes!

Any experience with killing gut bugs? I think mine must be quite devastated after drinking raw ginger, onion and garlic, all them have showed strong antibiotic effects in studies.

Regarding this topic, justy wanted to know the details of your theory about glutathione depletion causing HPA dysfunction and hence low thyroid/adrenals. You told me once and it sounded fascinating and possibly true. It would go in the line of Rich´s theory...

I had high thyroid antibodies and got them to come down by chelating out mercury and taking high dose vitamin C to "clean off the iodine receptors". The theory being that the iodine receptors can become clogged by chlorine, flouride (both in water) and bromine (in breads).

I'm just getting into doing some stool testing and killing off gut bugs. The Metametrix GI Effects Stool Test Interpretive Guide has awesome info on what herbs kill what bugs. http://www.metametrix.com/files/test-menu/interpretive-guides/GI-Effects-IG.pdf

You need to do a stool test to make sure what bugs you have and then retest to see if you really killed them off. Yasko says to use 7 herbs so the bugs don't get used to them.

I actually got the thing about glutathione depletion causing loss of signally to the HPA axis organs from something Rich posted (so that's why it would be in line with Rich's theory ;)) . But heck if I can find the original source. It might be in one of his papers.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
I see! I will try to find that in his information then.

Did you chelate Cutler style right? Where did you get that theory of the Vit C from?

Helen

Beyond and caledonia
Rich described his theory about this also in the seminar he had in Sweden
http://iaomt.media.fnf.nu/2/skovde_2011_me_kroniskt_trotthetssyndrom/ I think it is in the first part at the end, or in the beginning of part two.

Helen

L'engle

moogle
I would be really careful about iodine if you have autoimmune thyroid problems. I've read people having trouble on various forums, with things that stimulate thyroid if you have antibodies.

Hip

I find iodine boosts my energy and motivation a bit, though you need to take iodine for around 10 days before this boost in energy manifests, I have found.

The dose I take is around 15 mg of elemental iodine a day (though I would suggest starting on a lower dose for the first couple of days).

I don't use Iodoral, as this seems a little expensive compared to the iodine solutions you can buy in your local chemist.

You local chemist should stock either:
Tincture of iodine, which is a solution of 2 to 7% elemental iodine plus potassium iodide in ethanol and water, or:
Lugol's iodine, which is a solution of 1 to 5% elemental iodine plus potassium iodide in water.

A 5% w/v solution of either of the above contains 50 mg of elemental iodine per 1 mL of solution (note that w/v = weight-in-volume).

You can put your iodine tincture into a glass of water and drink it, but the taste is not great. So what I do is simply put my iodine tincture by pipette drops into an opened supplement capsule, close capsule, and immediately swallow it.

(The potassium iodide is included in these solutions as it helps to increase the absorption of iodine, and potassium iodide has some health benefits of its own; for example potassium iodide is an good treatment for urinary tract / kidney infections. Iodoral tablets also include potassium iodide).

Note: never take povidone-iodine internally, as this is toxic if ingested. Povidone-iodine is only to be applied topically on the skin.

And iodine supplementation in those with autoimmune thyroiditis (such as Hashimoto’s) is definitely not advised. Reference: here.

GracieJ

Iodine rocks! Determined to reset my system, I researched ways to naturally balance the thyroid, even with Hashimoto's. I learned that a "normal" imbalance could reset within six months.

Fast forward 2 1/2 years. It has taken that long, on an excellent, balanced plan of iodine/iodide, B2, and selenium to see real results. Some energy came back quite quickly. Last month, my metabolism definitely kicked back in, with positive changes in appetite level. I am now seeing more mental clarity, and last month, excess weight began slipping downward with no effort on my part. I think it took this long because the thyroid changes slowly, and it takes time to displace chlorine, bromine, and fluoride off iodine receptor sites throughout the body.

I tested for 120mg daily. This shocked me! On further reading, I discovered that 1) one bad study gave iodine a bad name as a "poison" to be avoided (one nurse told me I would die if I took more than the RDA in mcg because "iodine is a poison") and 2) that doctors in the 30s were prescribing up to 300mg daily of an iodine mixture similar to Lugol's with good success, even with Hashimoto 's.

Not able to afford the 120mg daily, I went with 75mg daily. I will soon start to wean down, very slowly, to a health maintenance dose of 12.5mg daily, which is what the average Japanese person consumes and proves right off that iodine is "safe."

A note on the previous paper cited, regarding Hashimoto's: The wrong kind of iodine, to be sure, is definitely a big mistake. The right combination, however, is just what the doctor should be ordering. The paper abstract did not indicate the form of iodine used. The wrong form would skew results considerably.

I know for a fact that bromine is messing with my thyroid. I have all the symptoms of an underactive thyroid + cherry angiomas. Also, when I tried Acetyl-L-carnitine all my symptoms were exacerbated. I should have researched it better...

However, when I tried potassium iodide I had one of the worst nights I've experienced since I've been sick. Felt like I had been poisoned.

Eventually, after finding the courage, I decided to give brown seaweed extract a go. I slowly worked myself up, and 4 weeks in I begin to sweat for the first time in 2 years. I also had an obvious bromine rash across my lower back. I also crashed hard - haha!

I'm gearing up to give it another go - but it's expensive - so I'd dearly love to give Iodoral a crack...

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
GracieJ Are you telling me basically that you cured hashimoto´s/hypothyroidism with Iodine? Because as strange it may sound, one of the reasons I became interested with this stuff was because there is a blog in spanish were a woman explains thoroughly how she cured Hashimoto´s curing leaky gut, doing a few other things and especially with high Iodine therapy. She had to pay an international expert doctor for getting that info but she was putting it there for free.

How did you "test" for Iodine? Muscle testing?

I think that when you are too toxic, Iodine can be harsh, since it encourages metal/halogen detox from the first day, so we will see. I know my problems are because of toxicity and my neurology is very reactive. One day taking a wrong blend of methyl supplements made me became insane and agressive, so much that I was planning asking my family about getting me into an asylum.

GracieJ

GracieJ Are you telling me basically that you cured hashimoto´s/hypothyroidism with Iodine? Because as strange it may sound, one of the reasons I became interested with this stuff was because there is a blog in spanish were a woman explains thoroughly how she cured Hashimoto´s curing leaky gut, doing a few other things and especially with high Iodine therapy. She had to pay an international expert doctor for getting that info but she was putting it there for free.

How did you "test" for Iodine? Muscle testing?

I think that when you are too toxic, Iodine can be harsh, since it encourages metal/halogen detox from the first day, so we will see. I know my problems are because of toxicity and my neurology is very reactive. One day taking a wrong blend of methyl supplements made me became insane and agressive, so much that I was planning asking my family about getting me into an asylum.

Yes, I used muscle testing. It is amazing. I now test just above the 75mg so will be watching that.

I started the iodine therapy at a great time, having done some major detoxing previously. I do not think the results would have been as good otherwise. I have had no reactions at all from day one, and just had to be patient and go on faith that it would do its job in time.

I do not claim to be "healed" from Hashimoto's at this point. I just know I am seeing some great changes and I am sooo glad I did this protocol. What the full picture for me with hypothyroidism and Hashimoto's is at this point I can only guess. I have not had blood tests for a while. My belief is that it is on its way out. My need for thyroid medication dropped to 1/4 grain, and I no longer use it. I anticipate not needing any for the rest of my life. We shall see. It is supposed to eradicate both conditions permanently.

I was inspired to go this route by similar stories like the one you mentioned.

GracieJ

Note on above: I started with 12.5mg daily for weeks, and very, very slowly upped the dose every six weeks or more to reach the 75mg level. It is important to take it up as slowly as possible, and I will go back down just as slowly.

I found iodine helpful at 1mg doses in the past. I'm open to the idea, but have a few reservations based on things I have read. I don't have the scientific knowhow nor energy to effectively verify what is true.

Fluorine and chlorine are supposed to be more reactive than iodine and bromine. Bromine was also used as a drug until the 1960s without reports of thyroid inteference. I thought bromine was getting most of the blame, but I may be wrong here?

A lot of the iodine protocols I've seen call for high doses of salt; is this not just flushing out the iodine?

I am interested in the claims that TSH rises temporarily, while free T3/4 levels remain more steady. Has anyone followed their own levels while trying this therapy?

The claims that it stirs up heavy metals in the body concerns me that they might just bounce around causing a lot of damage on the way out.

merylg

Some good info here on Iodine and Bromide.

http://breastcancerchoices.org/iprotocol.html

I'm on prescribed t3 Tertoxin 10 mcg and Iodoral/Iodide 12.5 mg. Am having thyroid function monitored.
Also have no pre-existing thyroid antibodies.

Urinary Iodine test showed a 'mild iodine deficiency' before I was put on Iodine, after being on t3 for about a month to treat 'Body Coldness'.

Feeling quite toxic since starting the Iodoral and suspecting a lot of general exposure to Bromine/Bromide. So am interested in the 'stop iodine & do salt loading' to help remove bromide.

Rand56

Bump

I'm currently doing some high dose Iodine therapy and have been able to ramp up pretty quickly without complications.

Just wanted to revive this thread to find out other people's experiences who are trying this.

I recently re-read the book I read awhile back "Iodine...why you need it..why you can't live without it" by David Brownstein, MD and just finished reading another book "The Iodine Crisis..what you don't know about iodine can wreck your life" by Lynne Farrow.

Reading these books and perusing over the curezone.com iodine threads again, it's just hard for me to believe that many people aren't iodine deficient these days.

Rand

GracieJ

@Rand56

Hi again. Took a few days to get back to you because I was too brain-dead to find the thread!!! :thumbdown::rofl::eek:

I am still using high-dose iodine. I now test for 50mg a day and will continue for as long as it takes to get to a healthy maintenance dose of 12.5mg daily. IMHO, that is the required daily allowance, not the "RDA" in mcg.

David Brownstein's materials are wonderful. I did not find them until well after my own personal research, but what he has to say in his books confirmed everything I have come across and since used.

It will be interesting to see further writings and research on the theory that if you have a thyroid issue, you have an iodine deficiency. It is an intriguing idea, and like so many others, was sidelined with the studies "showing" iodine as a poison. My personal take on this was/is that if doctors can experiment on me with dubious "white powder poisons" unproven, I can "experiment" on myself with sound historical information from the 30s and 40s as well as the recent revival of that information.

I will update again here in a few months. Right now, I am battling nasty symptoms of corn allergy, and it has been a strange battle. When I have more time, I will start a thread on it.