• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High intensity interval training appears to be working for me

Just a quick update.
Two weeks after my initial post and I'm still good apart from occasional days where I get the nagging headache that's been part of my symptoms from the beginning.
This I can handle with ibuprofen or it wears off in time.
The main thing is, I've still yet to experience the fatigue so I'm very happy about that.

HowToEscape?

It’s not crazy at all, it’s well adapted to the weaknesses we have. Some type of activity and conditioning is absolutely essential for us, because the deconditioning is severe and the effects of that or no secret.

I keep meaning to start HIIT myself, and then being to demoralized to actually do it during the windows when its possible. I have learned, like pretty much everyone else here, not to drag myself through an activity when my body says “leave me alone I want to lay down.” But we do need to seize those intervals when we can do a little more, and get microdoses of exercise. It seems intense exercise builds mitochondria, among other things. Much props to @friendlycat for actually doing it.

HowToEscape?

Just a quick update.
Two weeks after my initial post and I'm still good apart from occasional days where I get the nagging headache that's been part of my symptoms from the beginning.
This I can handle with ibuprofen or it wears off in time.
The main thing is, I've still yet to experience the fatigue so I'm very happy about that.

HIIT is much less crash provoking then other types of activity... , (edit) it might not be safe for everyone here! Standing in line for 15 minutes will provoke a crash which could exceed a week (don’t try it). HIIT off & on for 10 minutes might knock us out for a couple days, half a day, or for some of us even less. HIIT has benefits, while standing time has absolutely none. Smart move.

Last edited:
Yes, it's odd isn't it, when I'm unwell, even a gentle cycle to the shop can wipe me out.
For the record, I started the HIIT with only three minutes (one minute followed by a minute rest) per session although I'm now doing the recommended five minutes three times a week.

Yesterday was my first big test of where I was at by going out with my better half for her birthday in London.
Started with a quick trip out to our local urban wetland (although it was closed due to the snow), followed by a trip to the tate modern then lunch and a glass of wine.
I was flagging by the time we got back so had to have a twenty minute nap but after that I felt ok and we went out again for a bit of night photography.
Today, I feel fine despite that being the most continuous activity I've engaged with for a long time.

OK, another couple of weeks have passed now and on the whole I'm still good.
End of last week I did have a return of the fatigue symptoms which coincided with me slacking on the HIIT (usual caveat about correlation and causation here).
Got back into more disciplined approach however, and general well being has returned although the occasional headache day seems to be something I can't yet shake.

Managed to spend four hours playing drums last night with the dad band I'm a member of and which is the first time in about two years I believe.
Bit stiff and tired today but not really any more so than I would have been before the illness.