• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

high ferritin level ??? give blood donation???

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
I think it would be helpful to get unbound excess iron out of the body??
You would have to convince a doctor that this was necessary. The name for the procedure is "therapeutic phlebotomy."
http://www.centralbloodbank.org/don...pes-and-qualifications/therapeutic-phlebotomy
Therapeutic phlebotomy is a blood draw procedure usually prescribed by a physician as part of a treatment of various medical conditions associated with accumulation of excess iron in the body. Common examples of such conditions are hemochromatosis, porphyrias and polycythemia. The procedure involves donation of a unit (about 500 cc) of blood on a regular basis. The blood draw stimulates the body to make new red blood cells, which require iron. Therefore, the process depletes the iron stores in the body as new red blood cells are made.

A survey of phlebotomy among persons with hemochromatosis.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10378847

Thirty-seven percent of respondents reported being voluntary blood donors prior to diagnosis. The mean rate of therapeutic phlebotomy for iron depletion was 2.6 units per month (mean duration, 13 months). The mean rate of maintenance phlebotomy was 0.5 units per month. Therapeutic phlebotomy rates varied by sex, age, reason for diagnosis, and severity of symptoms. Seventy-six percent of respondents reported full or partial insurance coverage of therapeutic phlebotomy charges. Seventy-six percent received therapeutic phlebotomy services in a hospital or physician's office and 30 percent in a blood center. Charges for therapeutic phlebotomy varied by site, with a mean cost of $90 in hospitals and $52 in blood centers

Before you decide this is for you, you need a diagnosis. Here's some help:
http://www.irondisorders.org/tests-to-determine-iron-levels/

iron interpretation.jpg

Johnskip

But elevated ferritin doesn't always equal elevated stored iron. Only in about 10% of cases. Other things can elevate ferritin with normal iron stores.
true but can anyone diagnose why it is elevated

Last edited by a moderator:

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
true but can anyone diagnose why it is elevated
Technically speaking we can't "diagnose" you, but some of us could say "oh my that reminds me of....." but you would need to post your most recent lab results for the following, along with the reference ranges:

Hemoglobin or Hematocrit
MCV (Mean Cell Volume)
Vitamin B12
Serum Iron
Ferritin
Transferrin or Iron Saturation
TIBC or UIBC

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits

barbc56

But elevated ferritin doesn't always equal elevated stored iron. Only in about 10% of cases. Other things can elevate ferritin with normal iron stores.
I think I said this in another post. My ferritin was normal but my hematologist said when you look at all the test results, it was it was an inflated number.

I would think that would also apply to high ferritin. Keep in mind, that's purely speculation on my part.

alex3619

A reason for many of us is that we are "down a pint"--we have low blood volume already.
I became aware of a case some years back of an ME patient with proven haemochromatosis who collapsed after giving some blood. The crash lasted much of the year. It scared the heck out of his doctors.

I believe unbound excess iron is a catastrophe and allowing all disease to manifest
This is correct. However high ferritin is not proof of high iron. Haemochromatosis is something like the eighth most likely cause of high ferritin, and there are tests to do that, but that means that there are seven more likely causes and many less likely causes.

dannybex

However high ferritin is not proof of high iron. Haemochromatosis is something like the eighth most likely cause of high ferritin, and there are tests to do that, but that means that there are seven more likely causes and many less likely causes.

Exactly. Ferritin can be high due to infections or inflammation (hello!), among other possibilities:

http://www.bmj.com/content/351/bmj.h3692

Prescribed phlebotomy restored my life. I would assume that my condition is different than others. There is some great information (evidence) that thick blood is one of our likely issues. Some with higher levels of Hct, others with protiens and anti-body overproduction caused by virus. Men typically have too much fibrin that needs to be removed... I wish I was tested long ago and prescribed bloodletting, I myself would not have suffered for so long.