• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High-dose intravenous Vitamin C effective against Epstein-Barr-Virus?

Wonkmonk

@pattismith Nice!

How do you do these liver tests? Is there a homeuse testing kit or anything or did you do it at the GP/lab?

I want to up the dose to 30g today. I just received 20 bottles from an internet pharmacy.

pattismith

@pattismith Nice!

How do you do these liver tests? Is there a homeuse testing kit or anything or did you do it at the GP/lab?

I want to up the dose to 30g today. I just received 20 bottles from an internet pharmacy.

I did the blood control with my local laboratory.
I couldn't say the slight elevation was caused by the vitamine C for sure, because I also take Idebenone (small dose) and T3, so I will monitor my liver panel again after the next infusion.

Wonkmonk

Got 30g yesterday evening. No problem with the infusion, but today I woke up with some flu-like symptoms including what feels like the beginning of a sore throat (which I usually never have), so I think it did something. I am feeling a little discomfort in the kidney area, too. It doesn't feel too bad, though, but not better than yesterday either.

I'll probably continue with the infusions, but I probably won't raise the dose for the time being.

I hope I can restart the antibiotics on Saturday, and if I do so, I'll probably stop with the Vitamin C at least in the first few days so as to not mess things up too much.

Wonkmonk

I'm feeling a bit worse since the infusion yesterday. It feels a bit like when I started Valacyclovir, so I am wondering if the Vitamin C kills infected cells or the virus dies off and that caused a Herxheimer reaction.

After the next antibiotics course, I'm going to check herpes virus titers again to see if perhaps the Vitamin C made a difference.

pattismith

Second infusion done yesterday with one bottle in isotonic NaCl.

I monitored my liver panel today, not any bad effect, and even my ALP have lowered from 61 to 48!

I suffer from a cold for more than one month now, which triggered a chronic bronchitis (two of my collaborators have caught this virus 1 and 2 weeks after me, but they are both already cured now).

I tryed antibiotics and cortisone, and it didn't helped, but since I had my two Vitamine C infusions, it looks like I am not coughing as much!

I plan to order more bottles and keep using it to help my immune system getting rid of virus!:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Wonkmonk

Seems so. It's also on Docmorris for 75€ for 500ml. 500ml = 10 bottles à 50ml. A 50ml bottle is ~€10, so you are saving 25€ per every 500 ml.

https://www.docmorris.de/pascorbin-750-mg-ascorbinsaeure5ml-inj/00581273

But if you want to do 7.5g (50ml), you have to use 10 ampoules and go back and forth between the ampoules and the infusion bottle 10 times. If you want 30g, you have to do it 40 times. Each time, you have a potential risk with sterility.

Therefore I am wondering if saving the money is worth the additional time and risk.

But 25€ for every 10 bottles is a big deal.

Wonkmonk

Had another 30g infusion 2 hours ago. So far no headache, no kidney discomfort.

Last time might have been initial worsening or the body not adapted yet or something else entirely. My mom currently has suspected flu. I never get sick with fever, cough, sore throad etc., but being exposed to influenza might well affect me otherwise and I might have confused that with side effects from the Vitamin C.

Will report how it's going the rest of the day.

Wonkmonk

OK, it seems to be like with the first two infusions this time. No negative effect, but I think I feel a bit better, but not very much, so it might be expectation, imagination or a placebo effect.

I'll probably go up to 45g next time and see what happens.

pattismith

OK, it seems to be like with the first two infusions this time. No negative effect, but I think I feel a bit better, but not very much, so it might be expectation, imagination or a placebo effect.

I'll probably go up to 45g next time and see what happens.

you talked about kidney pain, so I wonder if you know Ascorbic acid can increase oxalate excreted in the kidneys?

"Both of these articles clearly demonstrate that 1 to 2 grams of ascorbic acid administered daily to both normal subjects and calcium oxalate stone-formers result in no urinary pH changes but in increased oxalate excretion. Therefore, this practice should not be used in managing patients with struvite calculi, because it does not reduce urinary pH, or in calcium oxalate stone-formers, as it might promote stone activity."

"Compared with participants consuming < 90 mg/day, participants with an intake > 1000 mg/day had a urinary oxalate excretion that was 6.8 mg/day higher when adjusted for confounding variables. This was much greater than the effect of dietary calcium which reduced urinary oxalate by only 2.3 mg/day in an analysis of quartile groups of intake with similar adjustments. These results alone suggest that calcium oxalate stone formers should cease taking supplemental AA should decrease their intake of AA-rich foods. Clearly the effects of AA intake warrant much closer scrutiny for its influence on urinary oxalate excretion and calcium oxalate stone formation."

pamojja

you talked about kidney pain, so I wonder if you know Ascorbic acid can increase oxalate excreted in the kidneys?

Again by someone who historically probably has the most clinical experience with high-dose vitamin C:

http://www.doctoryourself.com/kidney.html

Robert F. Cathcart II, M.D. writes on “Why Don’t Massive Doses of Ascorbate Produce Kidney Stones?”

“Years ago when Linus Pauling wrote his book "Vitamin C and the Common Cold", the critics immediately labeled the taking of large doses of vitamin C dangerous because it would produce calcium oxalate kidney stones. This practice of telling people that vitamin C caused kidney stones continues today by the critics of vitamin C despite the lack of clinical evidence of kidney stones in people taking vitamin C.

“It was hypothesized that since a significant percentage of ascorbate was metabolized into and excreted as oxalic acid that this oxalic acid should combine with calcium in the urine and deposit as calcium oxalate kidney stones. It is true that those of us who take large doses of ascorbate have elevated oxalic acid in our urine but no kidney stones. With the millions of people in the world taking vitamin C, if vitamin C caused kidney stones there would have been a massive epidemic of kidney stones noticed by this time. There has been none.

“I started using vitamin C in massive doses in-patients in 1969. By the time I read that ascorbate should cause kidney stones, I had clinical evidence that it did not cause kidney stones, so I continued prescribing massive doses to patients. To this day (2006) I estimate that I have put 25,000 patients on massive doses of vitamin C and none have developed kidney stones. Two patients who had dropped their doses to 500 mg a day developed calcium oxalate kidney stones. I raised their doses back up to the more massive doses and added magnesium and B6 to their program and no more kidney stones. I think that the low doses had no effect and they, by coincidence, developed the kidney stones because they were not taking enough vitamin C.”

Wonkmonk

I think this is a possibility and I try to mitigate the risk by drinking a lot of water and only having infusions every other day or every third day and not daily. I am also limiting intake of foods rich in oxalic acid.

Wonkmonk

I will also drink some lemon juice after the infusions. Citric acid in lemon juice should lower urin PH and help reduce the risk of kidney stones.

Wonkmonk

On both Ringer-Lactate and Glucose infusions, it says the maximum speed of infusion is 1.7 drops per kg body weight every minute. With my 100kg that means 170 drops per minute, so about 3 drops per second. That's very low for larger volumes.

Is there any type of solution that may be administered at a faster pace?

pattismith

On both Ringer-Lactate and Glucose infusions, it says the maximum speed of infusion is 1.7 drops per kg body weight every minute. With my 100kg that means 170 drops per minute, so about 3 drops per second. That's very low for larger volumes.

Is there any type of solution that may be administered at a faster pace?

I do one drop per second with isotonic NaCl