• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High dose folate, B2 and elevation of ammonia and uric acid (for dummies)

Violeta

Some things I'm considering are pathogens and metals, including copper. I also am wondering if the pathogens are there because of the metals. Sometimes there's calcification involved. Pathogens seem to attract calcium, but pathogens usually replicate on metals so it may be the metals they contain that attracts the calcium.

????? is how I feel about what I know.

Gondwanaland

Some things I'm considering are pathogens and metals, including copper. I also am wondering if the pathogens are there because of the metals. Sometimes there's calcification involved. Pathogens seem to attract calcium, but pathogens usually replicate on metals so it may be the metals they contain that attracts the calcium.

????? is how I feel about what I know.
Would this perhaps explain why supplementing with K2 is so painful?

Violeta

Would this perhaps explain why supplementing with K2 is so painful?

That's a good question! Do you know that K2's ability to remove calcium deposits is it's chelation of copper? It has something to do with the voltage of the calcium channel. And pathogens, if they are surrounded by calcium biofilm, removing the biofilm might break down the cell wall, set free some endotoxin, and the endotoxin causes inflammation. You might be right!

Violeta

When I was reading at the resistant starch page, they said it causes destruction of bad bacteria in the large intestines, but not so long ago I saw a message by one of the bloggers who are big proponents of the resistant starch, and they gave another reason for it causing problems. I must have read that on a bad day because I can't remember their reason.

It might have been on the BG Grace blog, if I have that name right.

Violeta

Has anyone here tried a low purine diet?

I have used it to get over joint and tendon pain, but I usually switch from using dairy, which is the protein source I use when doing it, back to either beef, chicken, or fish. I usually quit the dairy (which I did again about 2 or 3 weeks ago) because of other problems that arise, such as lethargy, wrong type of weight gain, and a few other things. So today I feel like I am going to die. I don't get the joint pain, just the headache and feeling like my heart is going to stop. I was doing okay for awhile on white fish, but ate some chicken broth and two pieces of fruit! I can't even study this thread the way I would like to, but now I don't even know what to eat anymore.

Gondwanaland

Has anyone here tried a low purine diet?
I have never looked into it :redface: I have considered limiting high molybdenum foods, but it didn't worked. I seem to crave cauliflower lately. My symptoms won't bother me it I don't take folate, K2 or RS :rolleyes::aghhh:

A few months ago I got a scare of varicella herpes reactivation (luckily I have lysine supplement at home) and reintroduced yogurt and curd into my former cheese-only dairy consumption to raise my lysine intake. Apart from the bloating :ill:, it has been working well.
So today I feel like I am going to die. I don't get the joint pain, just the headache and feeling like my heart is going to stop.
I am sorry about that. Chicken always gives me headache, not sure if due to omega 6 or tryptophan.

Tendon pain and headache could be excess manganese, which can be relieved by silymarin. I am really happy to be able to tolerate silymarin now that I am not salicylate intolerant anymore.

Violeta

That's interesting that your problems only bother you when you take those three things! So yogurt and curd will provide more lysine than the cheese? I will start off with just cheese and then try adding in some yogurt.

Oh, chicken gives you a headache, too? There is more than one possible reason, you're right about the omega 6 and tryptophan, I will stay away from it for sure, and the memory of this headache will remind me.

I'll try the silymarin, I have some, thanks.

Gondwanaland

So yogurt and curd will provide more lysine than the cheese?
In addition to cheese. I try to source my cheese from A2 casein. I believe that one thing that kept me away from dairy was the A1 type that gave me histamine reactions. Another thing is that I am +/+ for lactose intolerance :bang-head: So I don't drink milk and only consume low lactose stuff like cheese and yogurt.

Here are lysine links that i find useful:
High Lysine Diet
Lysine - Benefits, Deficiency, Dosage and Lysine Rich Foods

Violeta

Yes, two good ideas.

Interesting because I just saw something the day before yesterday that made me think I should get some lysine, but then I thought I would prefer to get it from food. Thanks again

drob31

The origin and secretion of pancreatic juice bicarbonate

Abstract

1. The rate of secretion from a saline-perfused preparation of the cat's pancreas is directly proportional to the perfusate bicarbonate concentration. When all bicarbonate is omitted, secretion completely or almost completely ceases."Have you tried hand soaks in bicarb or magnesium oxide?

@Gondwanaland

I'm a little concerned. Was the kitty okay?

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
@Gondwanaland

I'm a little concerned. Was the kitty okay?

It was presumably an experimental animal. These are usually killed afterwards, or used in further experiments and then killed. If you look at the PubMed page you will see there is also a study on an 'isolated cat pancreas'. For this they would either anaesthetise or kill the cat, then remove the organ and perfuse it artificially, similarly to how a heart or kidney may be preserved before a transplant. Lab animals are just treated as disposable tools, whether fruit flies or apes or anything in between.

As well as being unethical, it is pointless if one wishes to study human health and disease, as different species have different anatomies, physiologies and lifestyles, as I relate in my blog.

Gondwanaland

It was presumably an experimental animal. These are usually killed afterwards, or used in further experiments and then killed. If you look at the PubMed page you will see there is also a study on an 'isolated cat pancreas'. For this they would either anaesthetise or kill the cat, then remove the organ and perfuse it artificially, similarly to how a heart or kidney may be preserved before a transplant. Lab animals are just treated as disposable tools, whether fruit flies or apes or anything in between.

As well as being unethical, it is pointless if one wishes to study human health and disease, as different species have different anatomies, physiologies and lifestyles, as I relate in my blog.
I was very surprised (but if you think about it it makes totally sense) to find out that cats don't have the glucuronidation liver phase. I think vets and industry should rethink food, medication and general products.

helen1

@Gondwanaland Have you tried curcumin for lowering uric acid? This saved me from two imminent gout attacks recently. I felt the symptoms - pain, swelling, heat - and immediately tried curcumin both orally and transdermally on the affected area. Gout symptoms were gone overnight by 80%.

Last edited:

Gondwanaland

@Gondwanaland Have you tried curcumin for lowering uric acid? This saved me from two imminent gout attacks recently. I felt the symptoms - pain, swelling, heat - and immediately tried curcumin both orally and transdermally on the affected area.
Thanks, I will try it. I have been avoiding it due to some SNPs recommendations, but hey I love curry ;)