• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High Cortisol, high RT3, rising TSH-advice?

I suddenly fell very ill with a wide range of symptoms in March 2016 - including weak/numb legs and left arm, dizzy spells, lightheadedness, orthostatic hypotension, general weakness and fatigue, digestive issues (nausea, bloating, no appetite), joint pain. I'd been suffering with bladder urgency/frequency, unexplained tiredness, hair loss, tinnitus for a few years prior to this. In April 2016 I discovered I had macrocytosis and a B12 level of 243. I have now been injecting B12 daily for 15 months. However, although a few of my symptoms have improved a little, none have resolved and I'm still feeling very unwell.
I've recently had my Cortisol checked and high levels came back:

Sample 1 - 16.84 (2.68 - 9.30) high
Sample 2 - 15.23 (0.75 - 2.93) high
Sample 3 - 3.78 (0.36 - 1.88) high
Sample 4 - 0.83 (< 94) normal

I have been taking holy basil for this and trying to think of ways to reduce the stress in my life or change my approach to handling it.

More recently I've had my thyroid panel checked again, including my RT3 this time. My TSH has raised from around 1.4 to 3.4 in a year. My other results are below:

TSH - 3.45 (0.27 - 4.2)
Free thyroxine - 16 (12 - 22)
T4 - 94.8 (59 - 154)
Reverse T3 - 23 (10 - 24)
Reverse T3 ratio - 15.51 (15.01 - 75)

I think the Cortisol and high RT3 are connected and likely related to chronic long term and specific stress.

I haven't been diagnosed with a thyroid condition by a doctor and do not currently medicate for it.

I have access to NDT and T3 - I know it might be a battle to get a doctor to consider supporting medicating but I'm willing and able to read and research - and listen to opinions - on what I need to do to to self-medicate. I've treated a B12 deficiency, low iron and gastritis successfully.

I'd be interested to know whether the above Cortisol/thyroid results could be causing or contributing to my symptoms. More importantly, I'm interested in how people would tackle this to reduce my RT3 - I know I need to work on reducing my Cortisol (suggestions aside from holy basil welcomed!) but would treating my thyroid simultaneously help towards relieving any symptoms?

Thank you for any help!

NotThisGuy

ways to lower cortisol:
phophatidylserine (seriphos, but they changed the formular, dont know if they changed it back meanwhile. At least they said they will. Maybe you have to google what is now the best brand)
zinc
methionine (Freddd advises against it, so u might try anything else first)

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Booksellercate - original formula Seriphos (phosphorylated serine) can be very effective in lowering cortisol. A few years ago the manufacturer changed the formula to phosphatidyl serine, which was not nearly as effective. But in response to customer outcry, they changed back to the original formula. The names of the two different formulations are very similar and confusing, but what you want is phosphorylated serine, and hopefully that is all that is being sold now. But I would double check if you order it to make sure that's what you're getting.

I found it most effective to take it in the morning, even though my cortisol levels were high at night. I read this had to do with circadian rhythms. When I took it at night, it caused insomnia but during the day it just made me calmer and more able to handle things. I had to play with doses, I ended up needing 8 capsules a day (in 2 divided doses in the morning on an empty stomach) for several months and gradually went down. But I don't recommend starting with that dose.

Another remedy for high cortisol is Relora made from magnolia bark and phellodendron bark. A lot of different companies make this formula.

It seems like your high RT3 can be linked to stress but I'm not an expert on thyroid issues.

One other thing - your adrenals have probably taken a beating from your stress. Mine did. At one time I was very weak - my regular doctor didn't have a clue what was going on, gave me Prozac which I took for 2 days and hated, so stopped it. Then I saw my chiropractor who does muscle testing and he found my weak adrenals and gave me an adrenal glandular - Drenatrophin PMG by Standard Process. I had to take 3 times the recommended dose for a week or 2 and then gradually went down, it helped very quickly with the weakness.

I think you should read up on adrenal issues as well as thyroid and cortisol. And maybe try something like meditation? Lowering stress is crucial. And check your diet, the usual stuff - caffeine, sugar and alcohol are all very hard on the adrenals.

Extra pantothenic acid can be helpful for the adrenals as well.

ways to lower cortisol:
phophatidylserine (seriphos, but they changed the formular, dont know if they changed it back meanwhile. At least they said they will. Maybe you have to google what is now the best brand)
zinc

Thanks. It appears at a quick look that the Seriphos they returned claiming it was the same original formula was never as good but I have found some sites which list alternatives.

ways to lower cortisol:
zinc

In addition to previous message-it looks like they HAVE changed the formula back to the original one which worked. Thank you for alerting me to this supplement

@Booksellercate - original formula Seriphos (phosphorylated serine) can be very effective in lowering cortisol. A few years ago the manufacturer changed the formula to phosphatidyl serine, which was not nearly as effective. But in response to customer outcry, they changed back to the original formula. The names of the two different formulations are very similar and confusing, but what you want is phosphorylated serine, and hopefully that is all that is being sold now. But I would double check if you order it to make sure that's what you're getting.

I found it most effective to take it in the morning, even though my cortisol levels were high at night. I read this had to do with circadian rhythms. When I took it at night, it caused insomnia but during the day it just made me calmer and more able to handle things. I had to play with doses, I ended up needing 8 capsules a day (in 2 divided doses in the morning on an empty stomach) for several months and gradually went down. But I don't recommend starting with that dose.

Another remedy for high cortisol is Relora made from magnolia bark and phellodendron bark. A lot of different companies make this formula.

It seems like your high RT3 can be linked to stress but I'm not an expert on thyroid issues.

One other thing - your adrenals have probably taken a beating from your stress. Mine did. At one time I was very weak - my regular doctor didn't have a clue what was going on, gave me Prozac which I took for 2 days and hated, so stopped it. Then I saw my chiropractor who does muscle testing and he found my weak adrenals and gave me an adrenal glandular - Drenatrophin PMG by Standard Process. I had to take 3 times the recommended dose for a week or 2 and then gradually went down, it helped very quickly with the weakness.

I think you should read up on adrenal issues as well as thyroid and cortisol. And maybe try something like meditation? Lowering stress is crucial. And check your diet, the usual stuff - caffeine, sugar and alcohol are all very hard on the adrenals.

Extra pantothenic acid can be helpful for the adrenals as well.

Thank you for taking the time to write a thorough reply. It looks like the original formula has been reinstated afterall so that's really of interest to me. I hadn't heard of this supplement before. My Cortisol levels are high throughout the day-I'll try to get some more advice on dosing but I assume morning dosings would be most beneficial to me too.

Thank you for the chiropractor tip as well. I had planned to see one regarding the neck pain and constant lightheadedness I've suffered since falling unwell.

I agree that tackling my stress is a priority. Coffee and alcohol are offlimits but my diet isn't ideal-I have suffered terribly with gastric issues due to a nasty case of gastritis since November. I suspect this may have contributed to my high RT3. My stomach has improved a little but it's been a long road. There are a few issues which are extremely stressful but unfortunately beyond my control to change or get away from. Hopefully I can find some peace with some adrenal support and an adjustment in the way I take these situations. I have tried meditation. I wasn't able to get far as I feel constantly wired and exhausted-my Cortisol was significantly elevated throughout the day.

Thank you again for your helpful suggestions.