• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High calcium-parathyroid

Has anyone had high calcium levels associated with their CFS/ME. For the past 2 1/2 years, I've had slightly elevated calcium between 10.4 and 10.6 along with some other markers that may be indicative of a parathyroid adenoma. My endocrinologist has been watching it and is finally doing some additional work-up/testing but I'm curious if anyone else has had. I've read a couple of interesting articles on the web that elevated blood calcium can also reactivate dormant viruses. For any of you who do have elevated calcium, my understanding is that it is never normal and isn't caused by low vitamin D 25, which a lot of us have (in fact, it is the elevated calcium which causes the low vitamin D). Great website at parathyroid.com if anyone is interested in this topic.

Thanks,
Gregg

penny

This is something I'm investigating as well. My calcium levels aren't higher than the normal range but do seem to fluctuate more than may be normal - from 8.8 (which was technically low) two and a half years ago to 10.4 this month. It's been a relatively steady increase, which may mean it's not important but it does seem a little weird since calcium levels are supposed to stay pretty stable within a more narrow band. Interestingly, I actually ingest much less calcium now then when my levels were lower (no supplements or soy, and almost no dairy, spinach and other high calcium foods). My PTH levels are low though, so I probably don't have hyperparathyroidism, but since it is treatable I feel like I should 'leave no stone unturned'.

My doc did give me a referral to an endocrinologist but my appointment isn't for another 7 weeks :(

If you don't mind my asking, what are the other markers that you have?

rwac

PTH actually responds to a calcium deficiency and removes calcium from the bones to increase serum levels.

I didn't want to wait for a test, so I started taking 1500mg Calcium Carbonate and I feel much better as a result. I believe dietary calcium will reduce Parathyroid hormone(PTH) secretion. About 3 years ago, my PTH was 10.1 which is borderline according to the website.

Abha

Abha
I'm now a senior citizen and back in 2005 I had parathyroid disease confirmed after I had used parathyroid.com(excellent site)to diagnose it myself.Dr Norman and his team(Tampa)removed the tumour in early 2006.I would recommend them to anyone who has this illness.I had a very large tumour and it was stated in the report that i probably had it for 12 yrs(?)and that an earlier diagnosis/removal would have helped me.Only one in a quarter of a million has parathyroid disease so it is something that GPs are not familiar with.My blood calcium levels were extremely high(204?)at that time....and I had bad depression/crippled by my ME too.My B12 was very low too(93?)....and I had hypothyroidism that the local consultants weren't prepared to treat.(TSH levels high).It was confirmed too that i had quite severe osteoporosis...back around 2000 I had fallen and broken my leg/above ankle quite easily.This was an earlier sign of my illness.In 2001 I had kidney stones removed too...part of the same problem.This type of osteoporosis is reversible if found in time.It is dangerous(see parathyroid.com site)to take calcium supplements if one has a tumour(s).....but once the tumour is removed then one can take the supplements.I have taken citracal as advised.My ME illness(pernicious anamia/autoimmune gastritis too) still remains but if I hadn't discovered the parathyroid disease I would probably be dead or in a mental hospital!

rwac

All I can describe is my experience. I was on 150mcg T3, for a while. Then I read about hyperparathyroid and took 500mg of oyster shell calcium and by a week, I had increased the dose to 1500mg, and the T3 dose dropped to 15-20mcg during that time.

SaraM

My cal level was a bit higher than normal while taking 5000 iu vit D a day. Doc ordered tests for cal and pth level which were high but in normal range this time. I was not taking much cal in my diet, no diary and supplement then,but now I am taking 1200 mg cal and feel better.

Min

I have had hyperparathyroidism; the only treatment is an operation and the condition should be closely monitored if suspected. It cannot be treated by diet.

Zebra

Hi, Comrades!

I was looking into parathyroid disease for my mom, and I was quite surprised by the number of symptoms that overlap with CFS.

Parathyroid disease is so simple to check for, and yet doctors rarely do! Two blood tests: 1) PTH and 2) calcium.

I'm including a link to Cedars-Sanai website description of parathyroid disease for you to read and consider. (It's very concise.)

https://www.cedars-sinai.org/health...ed hyperparathyroidism or parathyroid disease.

GlassCannonLife

Hi, Comrades!

I was looking into parathyroid disease for my mom, and I was quite surprised by the number of symptoms that overlap with CFS.

Parathyroid disease is so simple to check for, and yet doctors rarely do! Two blood tests: 1) PTH and 2) calcium.

I'm including a link to Cedars-Sanai website description of parathyroid disease for you to read and consider. (It's very concise.)

https://www.cedars-sinai.org/health-library/diseases-and-conditions/p/parathyroid-disease.html#:~:text=Parathyroid glands secrete a hormone,called hyperparathyroidism or parathyroid disease.

Very interesting! I have never had PTH tested, but my calcium has only been low-normal or normal.. But, I did have very low phosphorus last month at the hospital?

And "If your test shows you have low phosphate/phosphorus levels, it may mean you have: Hyperparathyroidism, a condition in which your parathyroid gland produces too much parathyroid hormone."?

Not sure what to think of that. Had borderline low potassium and magnesium as well though and people here seemed to think that (and the phosphorus) was mainly due to a malnutrition type state that seems to be present despite adequate nutrition in ME (also a reason for low phosphate/phosphorus).

Crux

Very interesting! I have never had PTH tested, but my calcium has only been low-normal or normal.. But, I did have very low phosphorus last month at the hospital?

Parathyroid disease is so complicated. I don't really understand it fully, but most endos. don't either.
If calcium is high or low, many other hormones can be implicated. The same goes for phosphorus.
It's probably much more than a deficiency.

https://www.intechopen.com/chapters/63945

If your phosphorous is low, have FGF23 checked in addition to PTH. The body may be trying to eliminate excess phosphorus to protect calcium, which protects heart and kidney.

". As previously stated, FGF23 also inhibits calcitriol, preventing intestinal phosphate absorption and renal reabsorption "

One reason some of us have low active vitamin D, calcitriol, is that it increases phosphate uptake. Our bodies may be trying to prevent excess phosphate absorption which can be harmful.