August 8th, 2018: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe ME
Have you heard of our Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance? Please join Jody Smith in observing this day and honoring the 25% of those with ME/CFS who are most severely ill.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

High Ammonia Levels?

Discussion in 'Pain and Inflammation' started by crypt0cu1t, Jun 2, 2018.

1. crypt0cu1t

crypt0cu1t IG: @skagginwagon

California
    I just got some more results back from Drm Chheda and it seems that I have very high levels of ammonia and elevated liver enzymes. I am thinking that I may be suffering from Hepatic Encephalopathy due to my symptoms.

Can anyone share some insight as to what this could mean? Does anyone here have high ammonia levels or liver enzymes?

2. robinhood12345

robinhood12345 Senior Member

He has probably ordered more tests.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2018
  3. Carl

Carl Senior Member

United Kingdom
    I have had slightly elevated liver enzymes and ammonia is a problem.

In my case the ammonia is produced in my stomach by a bacterial infection which makes it extremely difficult to digest protein as my pancreas digestive function (enzymes) are none functional.

This shows as burping, carbon dioxide produced following ammonia reaction with the acid whenever I consume anything which is either acidic or produces acid.

There are quite a few different urease positive bacteria which can do this. Helicobacter Pylori has the strongest urease activity but there are others which can get pretty close.

It might be worth considering this incase it is an issue for you.

You could try drinking something acidic and see if you burp within about a minute. Urease bacteria use Urea which is contained in saliva therefore mixing saliva should help promote the reaction.

crypt0cu1t likes this.
  4. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    You might look at arginine, which is often used to lower high ammonia in patients with a urea cycle problem.

robinhood12345 and crypt0cu1t like this.
  5. crypt0cu1t

crypt0cu1t IG: @skagginwagon

California
    I would try drinking something acidic, but anything acidic gives me terrible heartburn to the point where bending over in pain.

My Doctor thinks that the ammonia is because of SIBO. Can the annonia still cause some sort of encephalopathy if its from the gut?

ljimbo423 likes this.
  6. Mary

Mary Moderator

Southern California
    You shared on another thread that you had been taking celexa for 6 years. Celexa can cause liver damage. See here and here. I think it would certainly be worth exploring to see if there is a connection between celexa and your elevated liver enzymes.

I take 5-htp which helps the brain produce serotonin, without the negative effects of prescription anti-depressants - there are alternatives to SSRIs. Also low vitamin D and low omega 3's can contribute to depression.

7. Tammy

Tammy Senior Member

New Mexico
    A virus can cause elevated liver enzymes. When my daughter caught Mono........it raised her liver enzymes. High ammonia can point to low HCL needed to break down food so it doesn't sit in the gut and rot creating the ammonia.

See more popular forum discussions.