• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

HHS womenshealth.gov ME/CFS

Ren

I didn't see this elsewhere... (Please save copies of the original since things get memory holed.) Quotes pulled from a larger text, from womenshealth.gov:

"epublications Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" (last update 4 September 2014)

People with ME/CFS experience a range of symptoms that makes it hard to do the daily tasks that most of us do without thinking — like dressing or bathing. Currently, there are no Food and Drug Administration-approved treatments specific for ME/CFS. Usually, treatments focus on relieving the symptoms.

Symptoms may be mild to severe.

No one knows for sure what causes ME/CFS. Many people say it started after a flu-like illness or other infection...Some people with ME/CFS report that it started after a time of great physical stress, such as following surgery.

Most symptoms are invisible to others, which can make it hard for friends, family members, and the public to understand the challenges a person with ME/CFS faces.

If you think you may have ME/CFS, see your doctor. Your doctor may: ...Classify you as having ME/CFS if: ...You have the main symptoms [see original text] of ME/CFS, including extreme fatigue or exhaustion that does not go away and that prevents you from doing the things you want and need to do for you and your family; exhaustion that comes after mental or physical exercise; sleep problems; and pain... And... You have had the extreme fatigue and other symptoms for 6 months or longer...[emphasis altered]

Your doctor may also need to learn more about ME/CFS to help you. If you feel your doctor has doubts about it being a “real” illness, share this document and the links to resources found at the end. If disbelief or doubts continue, consider seeing another doctor for a second opinion. Contact a local university medical school, research center, or one of the resources listed below for help finding a doctor who treats people with ME/CFS.

Additionally, no mention of CBT/GET. For help in coping, it's advised to consider joining an ME/CFS support group or organization, including Phoenix Rising and ME/CFS Forums.

ME/CFS is sometimes seen in members of the same family, perhaps because of a genetic link. Researchers are also testing a variety of treatments for ME/CFS, including anti-viral medications and medications that affect the immune system.

ME/CFS Research Institutes - Chronic Fatigue Initiative, Institute for Neuro Immune Medicine at Nova Southeastern University, ME-CFSCommunity, Open Medicine Institute, ProHealth, Simmaron Research, Solve ME/CFS Initiative, Stanford ME/CFS Initiative

http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/chronic-fatigue-syndrome.html#

http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/OWH_FS_Chronic_Fatigue.pdf

---------

Edit: Is this CCC?

Attachments

• A Fact Sheet From the Office of Women\'s Health.pdf
    205.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited: