• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

HHS/OWH Interview with ME/CFS Patient Lindsey McGrath (Jan. 2014)

Wally

*Even though this news item is a year old, I thought it was interesting that this interview was conducted by the HHS/OWH and it is still available on the OWH website. Here is a link that explains how these Spotlight News Interviews are developed. http://womenshealth.gov/news/Spotlights/About this Program/about-program.html

*(Note - I did not find this patient interview when I conducted a PR Forum search, so hopefully this is not duplicating another post.)

http://womenshealth.gov/news/spotlights/2014/1.html

News

lr-fade.gif

lindsey.jpg

Lindsey McGrath

In her professional life, Lindsey has worked in the Portland City government, doing housing and economic development planning; been the development director for a Hispanic nonprofit service agency; managed a cable construction company; and co-owned a small publishing company. For many years, Lindsey was a competitive rower and enjoyed mountain biking and cross-country skiing. She is married and is the mother of an 18-year-old son.

An Interview With a Woman Living With Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Lindsey McGrath

Myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME), also known as chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), is a complex chronic condition that causes a range of symptoms that vary from person to person. Some people may experience symptoms that make it hard to do the daily tasks that most of us do without thinking, like dressing, bathing, or eating. Here to tell us about her experience living with ME/CFS is Lindsey McGrath. While the name of this disorder — chronic fatigue syndrome — focuses on tiredness, you’ll learn there are many other symptoms affecting Lindsey’s daily life.

Q: What is ME/CFS?

A: ME/CFS is a debilitating disorder affecting all the major systems of the body, including the immune system and autonomic nervous system. It causes symptoms including difficulty focusing or forgetting things, extreme fatigue, feeling very tired for more than 24 hours after physical activity, poor sleep, and muscle and joint achiness, among many other symptoms.

Q: When were you diagnosed with ME/CFS? And how is it diagnosed?

A: I was first diagnosed in the fall of 2002. There is currently no test to diagnose ME/CFS, which sometimes makes diagnosis difficult. In my case, my doctor recognized the symptoms, and, after doing blood tests to rule out other disorders, diagnosed me with ME/CFS.

Q: What symptoms did you experience before being diagnosed?

A: I was a competitive athlete, and I noticed my workouts were becoming more and more difficult. It finally reached the point that a workout would cause significant symptoms, such as major dizziness, sore throat and glands, severely disrupted sleep, and flu-like malaise and fatigue.

Q: Can you tell us how you felt when you were diagnosed with ME/CFS?

A: I was somewhat familiar with ME/CFS from reading occasional articles in the paper. I had also just finished reading Lauren Hillenbrand’s book Seabiscuit, and when the author described her ME/CFS in the author interview, I knew immediately that I had the same disease. When my doctor confirmed the diagnosis, I felt devastated. I perceived that life as I knew it was going to be significantly altered and that I might never feel healthy again.

Q: It’s been 10 years since you were diagnosed. How are you now?

A: I have learned to live with ME/CFS and find joy and meaning even given my significant limitations. I am currently able to be up and about for roughly five hours a day, and then I must rest with my feet up. I don’t ever feel “normal,” and there are many times when I feel quite ill.

Q: How do you manage your symptoms?

A: In some cases, there are drugs to help manage symptoms. For example, I take a drug that helps to raise my blood pressure so I don’t feel dizzy when being upright. There are also drugs I take to help manage my sleep. I also try to work within my limitations so I don’t overdo it, although I have found it very difficult to gauge this day to day. I also maintain a regular practice that improves the mind/body connection, including meditation, which helps me remain calm and centered.

Q: Do you think it is difficult for people to understand ME/CFS and how debilitating it can be?

A: I think even with great empathy, it is impossible to feel what it’s like to be in someone else’s shoes. ME/CFS has been misunderstood for a very long time, and I think many people still underestimate the effect it has on a person’s life. It is also sometimes mistaken for depression, although research shows a biological distinction between depression and ME/CFS. Hopefully that kind of thinking is changing as studies show that ME/CFS is a real disease with very real consequences.

Q: What advice would you give to other women living with ME/CFS?

A: I would first find a doctor who either specializes in ME/CFS or is very knowledgeable about the disease and keeps up with current research. I would also try to educate family and friends, so that they are aware of your limitations and don’t put undue pressure on you to act in a way that is detrimental to your health. It is important to get as much support as possible from your loved ones. I would also figure out what you can do, however small, that brings you joy and fulfillment. Finally, I would explore programs and practices that enhance the mind/body connection.

Q: Is there anything else you’d like to share?

A: Don’t give up hope. There is very important research taking place in the United .States. and around the world that is improving our understanding of ME/CFS. For information about current research, contact the CFIDS Association of America.

The statements and opinions in this interview are those of the interviewee and do not necessarily represent the views of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Office on Women’s Health.

Content last updated January 06, 2014
[/URL]

Last edited:

Iquitos

Too bad her parting shot was a plug for "CFIDS Association of America", the US government's Trojan Horse front for the CDC's disinformation campaign. Suzanne Vernon, their scientific advisor, has her name on quite a few bogus "research" papers with Bill Reeves.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
I've asked relatives to post this to facebook. Hopefully someone connected to them will find it there and read it.

Thanks for finding and posting here. I'm trying to find and bookmark the growing number of good articles that explain the experience of ME.

jimells

Well this is interesting. It appears there are actually two "Offices of Women's Health", with almost the same name. In the NIH, we have the "Office of Research on Women's Health" operating as a program office in the Office of the Director. Meanwhile at HHS we have the "Office of Women's Health", which is directed by the Deputy Assistant Secretary for [Women's] Health (DASWH.)

I'm guessing the HHS "Office of Women's Health" didn't get the memo about ME being a psychological disease that the "Office of Research on Women's Health" has been following to the letter.