• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

HERV env antibody treatment for MS: phase IIa trial completed

Daffodil

hi leela. what makes you say it is taboo for ME? HIV medicines have helped a lot of people with ME. Dr DeMeirleir and Dr. Lombardi recently published a paper suggesting that HERV env protein is the cause of CFS.

about GeNeuro's MS drug:

"So far, 10 patients have been dosed with the agent, he said. Single doses at 2 or 6 mg/kg have been administered to five patients each.

In the low-dose group, four showed no change in MRI lesions 4 weeks after dosing compared with baseline, with one patient showing a decrease. One patient with primary progressive MS had a "decrease of inflammation," Curtin said.

Only four patients in the high-dose group had their 4-week MRI scans when Curtin finalized his presentation, with all four showing stable lesions.

A total of 16 adverse events were noted in the 10 patients, ranging from neurological symptoms such as tremor and limb spasticity to bradycardia, tachycardia, and bladder infection.

Patients in the trial are now receiving additional doses and the firm expects to have final 6-month results from the study in September."

leela

Oh, Daff, I was just referring to the historic hysterics regarding research in this area. For a while there it was a career death-knell to even mention it. Many of those trialling antiretrovirals in the wake of XMRV were vilified for doing so.
That's all I meant.

I was indeed pleased to see the HERV reactivation paper.

natasa778

Importantly, recent data suggest that MS is influenced by highly active anti-retroviral treatment (HAART) [42,43]. MS is uncommon among HIV-positive HAART-treated persons (incidence rate ratio
x2009.gif
=
x2009.gif
0.3: 95% confidence interval
x2009.gif
=
x2009.gif
0.04-2.2). Although the group-size is small, and the results are not statistically significant, the effect is fairly strong and in accordance with the expected trend suggesting that antiretroviral medicines can curb MS. If these findings are substantiated, it becomes imperative to investigate in a clinical trial, if HAART can be effective against MS and possibly other autoimmune diseases. At the moment, a clinical trial for the antiviral drug Raltegravir is in its initial phase, to test if this integrase inhibitor can suppress HERV activity and ameliorate MS progression [44]. A more targeted approach is also on trial, as a monoclonal antibody towards MSRV Env (GNbAC1) is being tested as a remedy for MS [45]. It will be most interesting to follow these innovative treatment strategies.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3765820/

Daffodil

even though I think this was just a low dose safety trial, I heard that one patient's MRI improved. no side effects.

phase 2b planned to start in first half of 2014...maybe already started

I am referring to monoclonal antibody trial

Last edited: