• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hepatitis B, CMV and ME.

jpcv

Hi folks
I have chronic Hep B infection, I discovered it in 1991 and I´ve been monitoring the disease since then.
I have never developed any sign of active liver disease since the diagnosis and all my antibodies exams show that there is no active viral replication. My viral load is low.
I got sick with ME almost three years ago and, like many people here, I have been submitted to all kind of tests and exams, and the results all came normal with the exception of an elevated ANA and high titres of IgG CMV .
Some people here might know that Hep B infected patients can develop extra hepatic manifestations of the disease and lately my infectologist has been thinking about treating Hep B infection to see if there is any change in my ME evolution. I did an elastography that showed more liver fibrosis than expected for my viral load so now there is no excuse and I´m going to start an antiviral, Tenofovir.
On top of that, there is the question of treating or not CMV . I know that the best antivirals for CMV are toxic for the liver so right now we don´t consider any kind of viral treatment.
As soon as I start the drug, i´ll post my observations.

pattismith

Hi @jpcv

I have antibodies anti Hbs and anti HBc, so was just considered as carrier of a past infection.

Are you positif with HBs antigen test?

Hip

I´m going to start an antiviral, Tenofovir.

Tenofovir has been proving effective as a treatment for ME/CFS, and two ME/CFS doctors are now using this drug for ME/CFS. So with any luck, tenofovir might kill two birds with one stone.

Some ME/CFS patients find they cannot tolerate full dose tenofovir to start with, and have to build up slowly to the full dose.

Last edited:

pattismith

It's worth tryig tenofovir I think!

Yes, I´m Ag HBs positive and anti HBs negative

You mean that you antibodies anti HBs are negative?

What frightens me a bit is that I am not allowed giving my blood because of my positive antibodies, even though they didn't find any Ag...So I wonder if this mean that the virus can reactivate any time?

jpcv

It's worth tryig tenofovir I think!

You mean that you antibodies anti HBs are negative?

What frightens me a bit is that I am not allowed giving my blood because of my positive antibodies, even though they didn't find any Ag...So I wonder if this mean that the virus can reactivate any time?

Yes, my antibodies are negative
If your antigen is negative and your antibodies are positive it means that your imune system has cleared the vírus and you don´t have to worry about it.

knackers323

Tenofovir has been proving effective as a treatment for ME/CFS, and two ME/CFS doctors are now using this drug for ME/CFS. So with any luck, tenofovir might kill two birds with one stone.

Some ME/CFS patients find they cannot tolerate full dose tenofovir to start with, and have to build up slowly to the full dose.

cfsers tend to get a worsening of symptoms on starting tenofovir or side effects? full dose is 300mg daily?

i took my second 300mg today and had some mild stomach pains. may not be related

Hip

cfsers tend to get a worsening of symptoms on starting tenofovir or side effects? full dose is 300mg daily?

I am not sure which, but I heard stores that some find they need to titrate up slowly to full a dose 300 mg.

jpcv

Tenofovir dose is 300 mg, i´ve been tolerating it quite well, no side effects so far.
I´m feeling ok now, no crashes, but at the same time no major improvment .Regarding ME/CFS, I don´t expect major improvments in a few weeks of treatment.
I´ll be returning to see my infectologist in May, she will probably ask me to repeat some tests like Hep B viral load to asses the eficacy of the drug.