• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help With symptomm

Hi everybody,

I would like to consult with you. To start sorry for the English language is a translation through Google Translator.

Two months ago, after returning from leave, the joints began to hurt the elbows and knees, fever (which has disappeared), and sore throat. I thought it would go away, but if it has not passed even after a month, I went to the doctor. He took my blood and all I found was overcome borreliosis (IgG only, I never left untreated). For sure he puts clarithromycin. After the third pill, I got drowsy or sleepy while insomnia and fatigue that held until now. My doctor said that I am healthy and I got it out of mind. Now my problems are.

- Joint pain - elbows and knees

- Insomnia - that will slowly improving

- During the day, fatigue and drowsiness (severe eyes)

- Sore throat

- On the evening of the symptoms retreat

It can be a CFS? well thank you

Hutan

Hi @Petko21, welcome to PR.

From the symptoms you describe, you could have ME/CFS. The illness that my children and I have has symptoms of joint pain and sore throat - and those symptoms were worst in the first months. But you could have a lot of other illnesses instead.

For a diagnosis of ME/CFS, you officially need to have symptoms for 6 months or more. So, it is very early days and you may very well find that you recover over time. I hope so. :)

If I were you, I would keep investigating your illness with doctors you trust. Keeping a diary of your symptoms is a good idea. Try to see if the symptoms are worse after physical exertion or after thinking hard for a long time (immediately after?, one or two days after?).

And rest. Now is not the time to try to improve your fitness. Give your body a chance to heal itself. Consider taking some time off work or study (even just a month or so) while you sort this illness out.

I'm sure others will have some ideas for you here. What part of the world are you in? And were you in a different part of the world during your holiday? What problem do you have with your eyes? Do you have any gastrointestinal symptoms?

Best wishes for a quick recovery (and I hope this makes sense in google translate).

Thank you for your response

Sore throat and joint pain I have for several years. I always could run, strengthen or physical work and never to have deteriorated. I'm from Slovakia and that CFS doctors do not recognize, say that as it In my head. Over the summer I was on holiday in Italy. The eyes do not have any problems except for the fact that during the day I feel terribly sleepy eyelids closed and me, I want to sleep - that's my "fatigue". During the day I have fatigue that I would not rule physically, just makes me want to sleep. It happens in such flushing. In the morning I wake up and my sleepiness sometimes enters into two hours, during lunch makes me feel good, then I got sleepy about 1:00 p.m. to 16:00 and in the evening I feel well again. Neither joints painless me all day, but it's in such flushing.

taniaaust1

Id be wary of saying it is probably CFS, I dont think one can say at this point, I dont even think you should be thinking this at this point. I dont know much about borreliosis, did they retest? is that properly gone?

You mention nothing about symptoms coming on after exertion or other things which can help distinguish ME/CFS from other illnesses. The fact your insomina is slowly improving may mean you are recovering, maybe you are still recovering from your incident with borreliosis and just slower then most to recover.

If you doctor thinks its all in your mind, he's obviously not following up with more tests which you should be having. Find yourself a better doctor.

I do not feel that it worsens after exertion. A week ago, I tried to run (2 km) and I had not the feeling that I'm worse. Yesterday I tried to do 50 squats and pushups and today I'm the same way. I lie at home all day ( weekend ) and sleepiness comes to me. During the week I work all day (7:00 to 16:00), after work, I go to the store, at home, something surfacing and evening makes me feel good. Sometimes I go to work and 5 km. Borreliosis was never treated before, six years I have antibodies in the blood (IgG) and the doctor he said I had to overcome it. I also EBV antibodies.

Most everyone wants me drowsy. A feeling that you want to sleep, closed eyes, it always takes some time (a few hours), then it is good few hours, so he repeats it all day. The first week I also had a temperature (up to 37.5), but now I havent it. I have no problem with memory or concentration.

helperofearth123

I doubt you 'got it out of mind', it could be CFS though for it to be CFS it has to have lasted 6 months or more. Before that is usually classified as post-infectious fatigue or in your case post-lyme syndrome. Antibiotics as far as I know shouldn't really do anything unless there is still an infection, is it possible that there could still be some lyme-persisters or maybe a co-infection? Could be worth being tested for common lyme co-infections. Just an idea.

Hutan

@Petko21, it is sounding less like ME/CFS as you describe your symptoms more.

Post-exertion malaise (a worsening of symptoms after exercise or mental exertion) is an important symptom of ME/CFS.

Also, our fatigue is more a lack of energy rather than frequent drowsiness or a need to sleep.

Have you investigated narcolepsy?

Izola

IMO [in my opinion], Petko21, your symptoms could be ME/cfs, Lyme or something else, although both are looking feasible. The "6 month" waiting period is slapped onto the diagnoses originally by bureaucrats who felt it necessary to rule out a "simple" post viral infection syndrome which, it is said, usually lasts less than or about 6 months.

What is really important right from the start, in my opinion, is for you to rest as much as possible because your body needs to heal. If you do have ME/cfs, your best chance to recover is during the the first year or two and rest is a major component of ME/cfs recovery.

Check out the International Consensus Criteria (ICC 2011) and look at the web site http://www.name-us.org. You will find a link to the ICC there as well as some helpful information.

[As I remember, the name-us site discusses the causation of ME, of which I tend to agree, but there is a lot of scientific opinion that there may be many causes.--Thus, IMO, sending the diagnosis down the road 6 months is dumb for other than the recovery need of rest. We would have a lot better chance of discovering the cause of ME/cfs from earlier diagnoses even if they are initially provisional and IMO, a better chance for our own recovery.]

Keep a good record of your symptoms as well as concurrent personal changes, i.e. longer or shorter work hours, major stresses, etc. and any other detail you think important. And keep up your search for open minded doctors. And rest.

Good luck and remember we are here for you. iz