• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help with Methylation Protocol and Mutations

acrosstheveil

I have had lyme for a long time now and recently began to address methylation. I have been on several supplements for this including methylcobalamin, tmg, methylfolate, b12, and p5p. I recently ran my genetic info through genetic genie and gave me some information but I'm not sure exactly what they mean.

I've been reading about the different genes and I understand some of it but I am still not sure what supplements I need to add or remove (the part that really matters!).

Here is some basic info on my genetics:

Homozygous mutations: VDR Taq, MAO A R297R, MTRR A664A

Heterozygous mutations: COMT V158M, COMT H62H, ACAT1-02, MTHFR C677T, MTHFR 03 P39P, MTHFR A1298C, MTR A2756G, CBS C699T, CBS A360A

I guess I'd like to start with the homozygous mutations as those are probably more critical to healing. Are there any particular supplements I should be focusing on with this new information?

I know this is a lot of confusing stuff, but I would really appreciate anyone's input on the matter. Thanks.

Sea

Homozygous snps are not necessarily more relevant.

In your case the MAO and MTRR homozygous snps are both synonomous mutations which means that the coding information is unchanged. So the function of the gene is unchanged. There may be some small change in the speed at which the gene functions (some upregulate - speed up, others down regulate - slow down)

I don't know enough to comment on the VDR Taq. I do know that there are conflicting ideas about its effect.

Some of your Heterozygous snps are much more relevant.

MTHFR C677T and A1298C are both missense mutations which means that there is a change in the amino acid that the gene produces and this has a significant effect on the ability to transform dietary folate and folic acid to methylfolate, the form utilised by the body.

Being heterozygous for both is known as compound heterozygous and makes the effect nearly as much as homozygous C677T alone.

Studies have been done that show that supplementing with folic acid reduces the effect of the lower gene function, however unmetabolised folic acid tends to accumulate in the plasma because the gene has difficulty with the conversion. Supplementing directly with methylfolate instead is recommended.

MTR A2756G needs MethylB12 to function properly. There are conflicting opinions as to exactly how this missense mutation affects the function of the gene, but supplementing MethylB12 is recommended.

Soundthealarm21

I have had lyme for a long time now and recently began to address methylation. I have been on several supplements for this including methylcobalamin, tmg, methylfolate, b12, and p5p. I recently ran my genetic info through genetic genie and gave me some information but I'm not sure exactly what they mean.

I've been reading about the different genes and I understand some of it but I am still not sure what supplements I need to add or remove (the part that really matters!).

Here is some basic info on my genetics:

Homozygous mutations: VDR Taq, MAO A R297R, MTRR A664A

Heterozygous mutations: COMT V158M, COMT H62H, ACAT1-02, MTHFR C677T, MTHFR 03 P39P, MTHFR A1298C, MTR A2756G, CBS C699T, CBS A360A

I guess I'd like to start with the homozygous mutations as those are probably more critical to healing. Are there any particular supplements I should be focusing on with this new information?

I know this is a lot of confusing stuff, but I would really appreciate anyone's input on the matter. Thanks.

The absolute first thing to work on is your diet and gut function. None of those other things really matter if your gut is not in order first.

Have you been tolerating the supplements you've been taking without side effects? What are the dosages for each?

acrosstheveil

I take 5000mg methylcobalamin, sublingual in the morning. I take about 2 grams of methylfolate a day. about 120mg p5p, 1500mg tmg ( i thing this is too stimulating), and i also take adeno-b12 as well. I started taking R5P (B2) yesterday but I'm unsure of what dosage I should be working towards. I think i am an undermethylator but sometimes the TMG makes me feel like I'm on speed. It is very hard to find any sort of balance with this.

Soundthealarm21

@acrosstheveil

Are you sure you mean 2 grams of methylfolate and not 2 milligrams? I have never heard of anyone taking that much.

If you think that 1500mg of TMG is stimulating then maybe back it down to a level that is not stimulating.

What kind of a diet and other cofactors are you taking?

acrosstheveil

i'm sorry, i meant 2 mg of sublingual methylfolate. I stopped the tmg for now but am still taking everything else. I try to avoid allergens such as gluten, dairy, egg, soy, GMOs, artifical sweeteners, red meat, and grains.

acrosstheveil

i started taking r5p - about 90 mg a day and i have been feeling strange, very strange. I cannot tell if this is a herx or if i am feeding latent viruses or other pathogens. I have been feeling like i have the flu/strep for about a week now. I have had a high temperature, a cough, and an extremely sore throat. Could the r5p be killing part of the lyme that I have never been able to hit?

is r5p a missing piece of the puzzle or is it only going to make things worse? I went to the doc for the throat stuff and they gave me antibiotics. I"m taking amoxicillin until I can figure out if this is just ramping up the methylation cycle and causing a healing crisis or worse....

anyone else have experience with activated riboflavin and the methylation cycle?