• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help with CMV treatment

Wonkmonk

Interesting that your doc says high IgG titers mean something. Labs and my docs all ignore them.

I have the following titers:

HSV-1 IgG 1:32,000
HSV-2 negative

VZV IgG 1:2,800

EBV IgG 1:128
EBV EA antibodies 1:32
EBV EA early antigen diffuse: negative

HHV-6 IgG 1:32

CMV negative

IgM negative for all viruses

I am wondering where the real problem lies and especially if the super-high HSV-1 (measured 2 times identically 6 months apart, despite high-dose Valacyclovir) means anything.

The only thing that seems safe to say is that HHV-6 isn't the culprit.

Anti-herpes meds helped me a lot (Valacyclovir, Famciclovir and Brivudine all were effective), but I always thought I am shooting at EBV, because I have positive EBV EA antibodies. But perhaps the HSV-1 or the VZV is the real problem. In studies (both in vitro and in vivo) all three drugs are effective against all three viruses.

Btw, does anyone know what the difference is between EBV EA early antibodies and EBV EA early antigen diffuse?

Last time I tested, the former was positive, but low (1:32), the latter was negative.

CFSTheBear

YES!

My CFS doc looked at the labs several other docs had dismissed as I didn't have any IgM and said, "I know what we were taught in medical school, but, with these high IgG titers, you have these infections even when they said you didn't"
Thanks @Learner1 .

Out of the list you provided, are any able to get over the counter? Cost and lack of being able to access prescriptions here is a little bit of a consideration.

Learner1

Interesting that your doc says high IgG titers mean something. Labs and my docs all ignore them.

HSV-2 negative

CMV negative

I am wondering where the real problem lies and especially if the super-high HSV-1 (measured 2 times identically 6 months apart, despite high-dose Valacyclovir) means anything.

Anti-herpes meds helped me a lot (Valacyclovir, Famciclovir and Brivudine all were effective), but I always thought I am shooting at EBV, because I have positive EBV EA antibodies. But perhaps the HSV-1 or the VZV is the real problem. In studies (both in vitro and in vivo) all three drugs are effective against all three viruses.

Btw, does anyone know what the difference is between EBV EA early antibodies and EBV EA early antigen diffuse?

Last time I tested, the former was positive, but low (1:32), the latter was negative.
My EBV was found with both a PCR and a VCA test after the tests you had were 0 multiple times. It is known to hide in some of us.

I agree with the rest of your analysis. You could try ozone, HBOT, high dose IV vitamin C, artesunate, mushrooms, and botanicals, as well as a different antiviral.

Learner1

Thanks @Learner1 .

Out of the list you provided, are any able to get over the counter? Cost and lack of being able to access prescriptions here is a little bit of a consideration.
You're in the UK? Not sure. Maybe @Hip can answer. I think you have private docs and there are private labs for some things. In the US they're easy enough tests to get. (We just have to pay for them...)

Hip

Thanks @Hip. My CMV testing was done at TDL as well...the only comment that's on the test is "evidence of previous CMV infection". I may be misunderstanding something here as my grasp of this stuff is very simplistic, but given the reactive parameter is > = 6 au/ml and mine reads 219.8, is this worth pursuing even with the lab comment being nonspecific about reactivation/recent infection?

If they have written "evidence of previous CMV infection", that suggests your infection is in a dormant state, being fully controlled and kept in check by your immune system.

You can also ask your GP to interpret the results for you; he should be able to tell you whether your infection is dormant or active.

Wonkmonk

I agree with the rest of your analysis. You could try ozone, HBOT, high dose IV vitamin C, artesunate, mushrooms, and botanicals, as well as a different antiviral.

So far the antivirals were remarkably effective, so I plan to continue with them for some time to see where it leads.

What I have been thinking about is: If it is EBV, I could try Rituximab, which kills the EBV reservoir B-cells. There are cases in which Rituximab cleared EBV infections entirely. So the plan would be to wipe out the B cells with Rituximab and then quickly start antivirals to stop the newly produced B-Cells from being reinfected. That should keep my body EBV free, at least theoretically.

So if it's EBV, that should kill it off entirely, or at least very close to it. Then my CFS should go into long-term remission.

At least that's the hope.

Learner1

Last edited:

HSV-2 negative

CMV negative

Can you tell me your story with
Famciclovir? Was it terrible at first? Did you ever get cured with it?

Wonkmonk

I only took famvir for about a week. I took Valacyclovir for most of the time. There was a herx, but it was ok. It didn't get really bad at the beginning. Then I improved somewhat, but not too much.

I only took famvir for about a week. I took Valacyclovir for most of the time. There was a herx, but it was ok. It didn't get really bad at the beginning. Then I improved somewhat, but not too much.
Why did you only take
Famciclovir for a week?

Wonkmonk

i had to substitute for valacyclovir bc with valacyclovir i had kidney damage and famvir is more gentle to the kidneys. sorry i can't write much at the moment, i have a needle in my hand because i am getting several iv antibiotics a day at the moment.

i had to substitute for valacyclovir bc with valacyclovir i had kidney damage and famvir is more gentle to the kidneys. sorry i can't write much at the moment, i have a needle in my hand because i am getting several iv antibiotics a day at the moment.
I’m a little confused. If
Famciclovir is better for your kidneys why did you switch to valacyvlovir?

Wonkmonk

i started with val, then the kidneys went bad, therefore switched to fam for a week. later could restart val again.