• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help us think up a name for the Lipkin Microbiome Study campaign

Sasha

Fine, thank you
We need your help! We're trying to think up a name for our crowdfunding campaign and we need it fast, so we can get on with the website and other materials.

We've had lots of suggestions but we don't seem to have one that entirely hits the spot just yet (my own suggestions included o_O).

We want to avoid funny/silly/rude names (though we see the attraction!) - our serious disease is already trivialised and we want to avoid jokeyness in the campaign name.

Good qualities would be: inclusive, inspiring, intriguing... you get the picture.

The name could be literal ('Lipkin ME Microbe Study') or metaphorical (like Jen Brea's 'Canary in a Coalmine' or Ryan Prior's 'Blue Ribbon' is). Or it could relate to the crowdfunding aspect (like Maria Gjerpe's 'ME and You' did). But it does need to have some relevance.

It should be short - no more than four or five words at the most.

The study involves 200 patients and 200 healthy controls and looking at the ecosystem - the 'microbiome' - of gut bacteria, fungi and viruses to see if any are associated with having ME.

You can read about the study here for inspiration. Maybe some words of Dr Lipkin will spark you off - he has said in interview that he thinks the gut is 'key' to ME, 'where the action is'. Here's another interview by Cort, with Dr Lipkin talking about the microbiome study near the end.

I've listed all the names anyone has come up with so far (excluding the humorous ones, sorry!) in the next post to help give you an idea but you might first want to try to come up with some independently.

Thanks to those of you who've already tried - please keep trying and everyone else, please join in! :)

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Here's what we've go so far:

Million4ME
FundME
Hunting for a Cure
Lipkin's $1 million dollar appeal
The $1 million microbiome project
Million4MEBug
MicrobioME NOW
Million Dollar Bug Hunt
Million Dollar Virus Hunt
Million Dollar Cure
The Lipkin Million Dollar Bug Hunt
Lipkin ME Gut Pathogen Study
Million Dollar Pathogen Hunt
Million Dollar Pathogen Study
ME and Lipkin
ME and Columbia
Microbiome mapping
The Million Dollar Project
Million4You
Ian's Hope
A bridge to health
Million Dollar Medical Frontier Project
ME Medical Frontier Project
Million for ME
Fund ME
Lipkin's ME million
million4ME
Hunting for a Cure
The Million Dollar Trigger Appeal

Sasha

Fine, thank you
The Cutting Edge?

I'm thinking, both because the science in the study is cutting-edge and because ME itself is at the cutting edge of science - if it wasn't, our problem would have been solved by now. I like the idea of presenting our disease as a cutting-edge challenge to be solved, not something to be dismissed with an idiot's 'we haven't found a cause yet so it must be psychological' silliness.

Legendrew

The Cutting Edge?

I'm thinking, both because the science in the study is cutting-edge and because ME itself is at the cutting edge of science - if it wasn't, our problem would have been solved by now. I like the idea of presenting our disease as a cutting-edge challenge to be solved, not something to be dismissed with an idiot's 'we haven't found a cause yet so it must be psychological' silliness.

I think the cutting edge doesn't get to the point of what the disease or research is about. I like

Lipkin's $1 million dollar appeal
The $1 million microbiome project

They tell us how much the project needs, who is doing it and what the research centres around, lots of 'M's going on there too so a chance for some alliteration which also helps with these snappy names.

OverTheHills

Unlock ME? 'cos me and you and all the other PWME we're all kept in cages by the disease. Plus scientifically unlock the mystery. Doesn't have anything to do with guts or bugs.

Perhaps that has been used already, my memory is ...... fubar (as alex says ).

OTH

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Honestly, I like 'Lipkin ME Microbe Study', and think that some of the more marketing style names could just be a needless distraction.

Unless we get a good one!

It's certainly an option and it has the merit of being clear but I thought 'ME and You' was a better name for that campaign than 'Haukeland Rituximab Appeal' would have been or something similarly literal. I'm on the fence, though. I haven't seen a real 'aha!' one yet (though it's not just up to me!).

Let's keep 'em coming...

Sasha

Fine, thank you
The Microbiome and ME
A Hundred Trillion and ME (we have approx. 100 trillion microbes in our guts)
ME: The New Frontier
A Million Patients Waiting (there are approx. 1 million ME patients in the US, where this study is based)
A Million and ME ($1 million, and a million US patients) - quite like that one...

I don't have a future career in advertising, that's for sure...

:bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head:

Firestormm

It is hard. Do we adopt the e.g. Norwegian approach and 'ME and you' which was also for a specific study, but managed to engage with patients because - at least in part - it united them and made them feel a part.

Or do we go for something that is, as has been said, more descriptive of the study itself and includes 'Lipkin'?

If you had a campaign, like Maria's name, then you could always describe what it was all about on any site etc. as again Maria did. Hmm...

Primary audience and donors are patients/families/friends for this campaign - at least in the main - so perhaps I was wrong initially when thinking also of a more descriptive and accurate title.

I pictured a T-shirt or badge, with 'I am backing Lipkin' and a large 'Thumbs Up'.

My only suggestion on the forum I think so far has been 'Me and my Microbiome' but I was singing in my head at the time, 'Me and my shaaadow' :)

The title of the study is not exactly snappy is it? But it is a study that I think is easy to describe to anyone who asks. And we can certainly help make it easier.

So, I am thinking now of something that will be more along the lines of the Norwegian effort, if anything: though I would have liked to include - ME, Lipkin, and Microbiome in the title... or even ME, Columbia, and Microbiome... Aw nuts.

I think I need a lie-down! Haven't we got anyone with any advertising experience on here? :)

OverTheHills

The Microbiome and ME
A Hundred Trillion and ME (we have approx. 100 trillion microbes in our guts)
ME: The New Frontier
A Million Patients Waiting (there are approx. 1 million ME patients in the US, where this study is based)
A Million and ME ($1 million, and a million US patients) - quite like that one...

I don't have a future career in advertising, that's for sure...

:bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head:
I like that last one too. A million and ME is eye-catching, relevant, short, tech-free. As you point out it is flexible too.... 'a million US citzens are disabled by ME but the government won't fund research' as well as 'a million$ to get a top scientist to do in-depth research'.
I think having Lipkin in the title means something to us and other insiders but is unnecessary/superfluous for public awareness.
OTH

Sasha

Fine, thank you
It is hard. Do we adopt the e.g. Norwegian approach and 'ME and you' which was also for a specific study, but managed to engage with patients because - at least in part - it united them and made them feel a part.

Or do we go for something that is, as has been said, more descriptive of the study itself and includes 'Lipkin'?

I think both approaches are valid.

It's worth bearing in mind that people are fairly unlikely to see the name without an accompanying explanation of it. When they come across the campaign, it's going to be via our website, an article, a blog, a leaflet, a letter to the press, a radio feature, etc. etc. - and they'll first hear about the microbiome study and then the name of the campaign will be mentioned, rather than the other way round.

ME Million Campaign?

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I like that last one too. A million and ME is eye-catching, relevant, short, tech-free. As you point out it is flexible too.... 'a million US citzens are disabled by ME but the government won't fund research' as well as 'a million$ to get a top scientist to do in-depth research'.
I think having Lipkin in the title means something to us and other insiders but is unnecessary/superfluous for public awareness.
OTH

But on the other hand if Lipkin finds something, everyone in the world will know his name!!
If he's prepared to do it I would like to see his name on it.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
OTH

Thanks - it's also a bit of a play on 'a million and one', as in 'a million and one reasons', etc.

I think you're right about having Lipkin in the name - he's always going to mentioned in the context of the campaign and I expect the campaign website will have him as a tag or something.

Ruthie24

I like "A Million and ME" too for the reasons stated above. Was trying to figure out if we could work Lipkin into that somehow but the beauty of that title is it's brevity and ....all the things stated above.;)

I suppose we could do "Lipkin and ME" but I kind of like the "Million and ME" better.

leela

Imho, don't cap the dollar amount right there in the name. Also, I've never been big on playing with M.E. as a homonym for the personal pronoun.

I'm with Esther on the "Lipkin M.E. Microbiome Study", even if that makes me a hopeless pragmatist...:nerd: