Phoenix Rising supports the Millions Missing global day of protest
Phoenix Rising is delighted to support the demands being made in the ME/CFS community’s first-ever global day of protest …
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Help upvote OMF today on Reddit for a free bitcoin donation (approx. $15,000) - already in the lead!

Discussion in 'Fundraising' started by Sasha, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Joh

Joh Inactivist

Germany
    Thank you so much @Cheesus, for recommending the OMF and for contacting the donor again! I'm sure your good reputation on reddit helped. :balloons::trophy::star::moneybag::moneybag::moneybag:[​IMG]

2. Spindrome

Spindrome

That’s outstanding well done @Cheesus and everyone involved

Mary, Gingergrrl, Missense and 6 others like this.
  3. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    Fantastic news!

4. *GG*

*GG* senior member

Concord, NH
    Realize this is an old message, and things have turned out better. But the way I would have looked at it is, is that things did not go our way, not Against us :)

GG

5. Silencio

Silencio Senior Member

Yay!! I have been checking Reddit all day.. so glad to hear this!

@Cheesus What about the pineapple fund? Any news on that?

Ps. Is he donating 1 bitcoin, which today is approx $16,500?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    Sushi, Ben H, Cheesus and 2 others like this.
  6. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

UK
    I'd be interested to hear why you think that is an important distinction?

@Silencio Yup, 1 BTC, which is around $16.5k. No news on PineappleFund yet as far as I know. We are in good stead to do well there, though. I am cautiously optimistic.

Missense, Sushi, Spindrome and 3 others like this.
  7. Comet

Comet I'm Not Imaginary

Thank you @Cheesus! :angel::heart: And big thanks to the donor! :star:

Mary, Gingergrrl, Missense and 5 others like this.
  8. Ben H

Ben H OMF Correspondent

U.K.
    Awesome work @Cheesus , thanks so much.

B

Gingergrrl, Missense, Comet and 4 others like this.
  9. Silencio

Silencio Senior Member

10. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

UK
    He often makes new threads rather than updating old ones. You can see his donation here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/7k8pnj/im_donating_25_bitcoin_to_good_causes_this/

JeanneD, Comet, Spindrome and 2 others like this.
  11. JD_Lucas

JD_Lucas

UK
    Slightly off topic, but it's related to the OMF, technology and healthcare.

I've been watching a lot of Chamath Palihapitiya videos recently. He is well-known in Silicon Valley and played a big part in the growth of Facebook. He now runs Social+Capital Partnership which invests in healthcare innovation.

I'm new to the whole ME research and funding ecosystem, so no idea if this has any merit. However, could Social+Capital help fund the innovations Ron Davies and his team are working on? I remember Ron talking about the multiple successful companies he started during his interview with Ben. Both Stanford Genome Technology Center and Social+Capital are based in Palo Alto which would make a collaboration far easier.

Just thought I put the idea out there, particularly for people who are involved with OMF like @Ben H

Here's a 30 minute interview with Chamath on healthcare innovation. EDIT: In his opening remarks he talks about successfully funding small sensors which monitor diabetes and heart conditions using Bluetooth. Am I right in thinking this is similar to the Nano needle?

If I, or anyone else for that matter, have any further thoughts then maybe a new thread can be started regarding this topic.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  12. GlassHouse

GlassHouse

Amazing! Thank you so much for engineering this :)

I made a reddit account and upvoted when this thread was made, although now I see that maybe new accounts voting is not good reddit conduct. Anyway, thank you again for clearing it up with the donor!

I know the energy expense of doing this must have taken a toll; I’m inspired by your dedication to the fight for the cure! I’m doing a happy dance from my bed :)

13. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    Well done @Cheesus and I am beyond clueless re: Reddit (but know this is a very good thing)!

Also so happy to see you post @GlassHouse and I was really worried about you. Hoping you are okay (but don't want to take the thread off track)!

Joh, GlassHouse and Cheesus like this.
  14. IThinkImTurningJapanese

IThinkImTurningJapanese Moderator

Japan

Joh and Cheesus like this.

See more popular forum discussions.