The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Help upvote OMF today on Reddit for a free bitcoin donation (approx. $15,000) - already in the lead!

Discussion in 'Fundraising' started by Sasha, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    A very kind anonymous donor on Reddit wants to donate a bitcoin a day (worth about $15,000) to charity, for 25 days. He/she says, "Each day I'll pick a cause from the suggestions, likely the most upvoted one, and donate 1 Bitcoin to them."

Someone proposed OMF and it seems to be already in the lead, though it's very tight.

So please log in (or register, it's worth it!) and upvote OMF.

To do it, go here and scroll down a bit until you see the first comment, by AlexanderSupersloth, and click the 'up' arrow next to his name.

I'm no expert on Reddit and can't answer questions about it.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    JAH, Gingergrrl, Ema and 5 others like this.
  2. Ben H

Ben H OMF Correspondent

U.K.
    Thanks for posting this @Sasha . It’s a great opportunity and I am really glad OMF started accepting Bitcoin a while back. A really nice thing to see and hopefully some of us can create a Reddit account and upvote it!

Just as a quick typo Bitcoin is currently worth $15000, not $1500 :)

B

3. Molly98

Molly98 Senior Member

Done :thumbsup:

Mary and Joh like this.
  4. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Oops, thanks, Ben! Fixed it. :)

Ben H and Joh like this.
  5. JD_Lucas

JD_Lucas

UK
    This is excellent!

Reddit is not the most user-friendly site. So for any of you struggling, here's a couple of screenshots to help:

1. Scroll down to the post by AlexanderSupersloth which starts with 'Hey man. This is remarkably generous.'

2a. To the left of his name, click on the light grey arrow pointing upwards:

upload_2017-12-11_15-18-42.png

----------

2b. If you're using a mobile device, the arrows may appear in a different place. For instance, on my android tablet they were beneath the post:

upload_2017-12-11_16-5-15.png

----------

3. Once clicked it will turn light orange, which means your vote has been counted:

upload_2017-12-11_15-19-9.png

----------

....Now share this far and wide so we can get as many votes as possible!

Art Vandelay, Joh, Cheesus and 6 others like this.
  6. JD_Lucas

JD_Lucas

UK
    If you haven't voted, then please make sure you do. Setting up a Reddit account takes 1 minute. Little effort for $15,000 towards a vital cause.

I've been keeping an eye on the Reddit page for the last hour. The OMF cause is still top, but there's some suspicious down voting, so someone (or some bot) is voting down our cause.

This is why it's important as many people as possible vote it up.

NB. I was tempted to down vote the other causes myself, but obviously that's unethical. Plus, the donor is aware of down voting manipulation, so just stick to up voting our cause.

7. Mary

Mary Moderator

Southern California
    I did it too. Thanks for the tutorial @JD_Lucas - I initially thought the up arrow was at the bottom of the post so was upvoting a different thing (though I eventually figured it out!)

Countrygirl, Sasha, Joh and 2 others like this.
  8. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

UK
    Odd to see my Reddit post appear on PR :) It popped up on my Facebook feed yesterday too :eek:

I seriously urge people not to downvote other causes. The donor has already stated that he will ignore any clear vote manipulation. I am actually a bit concerned about the number of brand new Reddit accounts commenting on my post, because newer accounts are always a little bit suspicious and the donor might find it off-putting. The donor might also not appreciate my post being promoted to communities outside of r/Bitcoin, which was the target audience. On the other hand, your posts give a great insight into the pain of living with ME.

If we do not get selected I will contact the donor directly to make my case again.

Yours,
    AlexanderSupersloth ;)

9. Ben H

Ben H OMF Correspondent

U.K.
    Nice work @Cheesus

I also echo the sentiment not to downvote anyone else. Lets see what happens.

B

Dolphin, Joh, Molly98 and 2 others like this.
  10. Spindrome

Spindrome

I agree about downvoting there were some choice discussions including some rather colourful language further down the page with someone who did.

Worth adding Comments though to add a bit more weight to the cause.

JD_Lucas, Molly98 and Cheesus like this.
  11. Spindrome

Spindrome

And nice one @Cheesus for spotting it

Joh, Molly98 and Cheesus like this.
  12. Spindrome

Spindrome

@Cheesus are some people posting in the wrong place? The TOR reply seems mixed up between OMF ones? Do you think this matters, is there anything we can do?

13. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

UK
    @Spindrome

I think we're okay. He will see the entire thread. Also, he posted that on day 9, but has yet to decide on charities for days 8, 9, 10 and 11, so I have a strong suspicion that he is going to choose multiple charities based on that thread. There are 25 chances to win, so we're not necessarily in direct competition with Tor and the others.

People on Reddit tend to have a natural bias against what is called "brigading", which is the recruitment of people elsewhere to vote/comment on threads in order to manipulate the outcome. It could actually get my account banned if anyone picks up on it as it is against Reddit rules. I'm more nervous that will work against us than misplaced comments or insufficient votes, particularly given the number of brand new accounts that are commenting. This is why I didn't promote the comment elsewhere.

As I said, if we don't make the grade I will make a direct appeal to him via a direct message. I will highlight the fact that the OMF posted it to their Twitter and Facebook. If the decision does not go against us for brigading, then I am cautiously optimistic we could win a shiny bitcoin for the OMF.

Countrygirl, Joh and JD_Lucas like this.
  14. Spindrome

Spindrome

Ah OK makes sense, didn’t know about brigading, hopefully it won’t go against us and hope you don’t get banned.

JD_Lucas and Cheesus like this.
  15. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    @Cheesus, would you prefer this thread to be deleted? I wasn't aware of the 'brigading' issue.

16. Joh

Joh Inactivist

Germany
    Hi @Cheesus, I came here to pm you and to ask if you're AlexanderSupersloth because the post on reddit reminded me of you - and then saw this thread.

Great idea to recommend OMF. Here's my thank you card for you (of course superfunny and insightful stuff written inside):
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

UK
    Nah. It's fine. The cat is out the bag now, so we can just wait and see how it turns out. It may all work in our favour.

@Joh I find it quite touching that you thought of me when you read the post. Thank you! I love my card.

18. CFSTheBear

CFSTheBear Senior Member

Ah - I was wondering whether this would be posted about. I was thinking that it'd run the risk of being disqualified if it was posted about anywhere - Reddit takes a very dim view of soliciting votes elsewhere etc - it's why you're always encouraged to post content by others, rather than upload your own stuff (several news orgs have been banned in the past for this).

19. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

UK
    The decision went against us unfortunately. I have contacted the donor to ask for more information.

Missense, Ben H, Countrygirl and 2 others like this.
  20. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

UK
    He's going to make a donation! He had a problem with the OMF's bitcoin donation page, but I identified the problem and he is going to submit the donations again. It should work this time.

Well done everyone! Thanks for chiming in and helping :thumbsup::thumbsup:

See more popular forum discussions.