• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help me with my dissertation research

taniaaust1

How do you know that he isn't looking at that ME is not a modern malady. I think we should wait for more answers. I have seen this before. It's not helpful just to make assumptions about research. Perhaps, we should give him time to answer. If he doesn't then we can close the thread and call it a lost cause.

I dont mind responding to the thread poster in a message (as long as Im able to get throu the questions) even if it is a study looking at if this is a modern malady. Hopefully some of my answers would help prove its more then that. Im going to contact her as Im curious what questions are being asked etc **sighs, it is probably another study trying to show this illnes is due to psychologial causes eg the stresses of today's living**

I had a nutritionist, once tell me my ME/CFS was being caused by too much TV watching. Irronically I didnt even have a TV at that time (nor could I watch movies or anything on my computer) and hadnt had one for over a year. When I was at my sickest for 9mths, unable to leave my bed, I didnt use any technology, I didnt even have a mobile phone or do anything. So depending on the questions, I may have some interesting answers to give.

(Before I got sick, I even grew most of my own vegatables. I was living as naturally as possible).

adreno

PR activist
"A modern malady of the 21st century" seems like an ill-defined concept that is not very useful for research. With no clear definition, it becomes a subjective concept. The dissertation is then trying to determine if patients with ME/CFS are of the opinion that ME/CFS can be defined as such a concept. So basically, as I see it, the dissertation is researching subjective opinions about a subjective concept. Though a lot can be written about that, it is hard for me to see the value that such research would produce.

Last edited:

eafw

The sociological literature is not helped by trying to argue for or against constructs like 'modern malady of the 21st century

"A modern malady of the 21st century" seems like an ill-defined concept that is not very useful for research.

Also sounds like something coming out of a social science or humanities department.

As I had nothing better to do while eating my highly nutritious lunch of chips and a kitkat, I did a quick google for "chronic fatigue modern malady" and up pops this little gem:

http://dro.deakin.edu.au/view/DU:30013770

or, you can go straight to the doc file

http://www.deakin.edu.au/research/acqol/publications/resources/cfs-sydney-conference-paper.doc

In summary: lots of waffle and regurgitated jargon trying to sound sciency, with the usual "powerful ME patients lobby group" nonsense thrown in there as well.

It does include an interesting reference made to a study where people going into a CFS clinic in the UK were conned into taking anti-depressants (not that that's how the authors present it), but shows how the clinics here really operate.

Sidereal

As I had nothing better to do while eating my highly nutritious lunch of chips and a kitkat, I did a quick google for "chronic fatigue modern malady" and up pops this little gem:

http://dro.deakin.edu.au/view/DU:30013770

or, you can go straight to the doc file

http://www.deakin.edu.au/research/acqol/publications/resources/cfs-sydney-conference-paper.doc

In summary: lots of waffle and regurgitated jargon trying to sound sciency, with the usual "powerful ME patients lobby group" nonsense thrown in there as well.

It does include an interesting reference made to a study where people going into a CFS clinic in the UK were conned into taking anti-depressants (not that that's how the authors present it), but shows how the clinics here really operate.

Thanks for finding this pseudointellectual drivel.

Alternatively, ME/CFS can be seen as a social construction similar to the forms of neurasthenia of the late 19th century (Abbey and Garfinkel 1991), hypoglycaemia in the 1960s and 1970s (Ware 1992) or ‘total allergy syndrome’ of the 1980s (Stewart 1987). In these terms, rather than a new illness, Ware (1992) argues that the configuration of symptoms of CFS has been constructed and reconstructed into new forms, identified and then discussed at length in new terms in popular and professional discourse over time. Sociologists of health and illness and sociology of the body (Foucault 1978; Shilling 1993;Turner 1995,1996) go a step further and argue in essence that the medical and lay experts have become embattled for control of the definitions, practices and meanings associated with medicine (read ME/CFS). This tense political discourse over who controls the symbolic ‘ill body’ and the ‘well’ body is the great battle for future authority over medical practice between the medical practitioners or non-medical and lay experts (including illness sufferers).

In a recent article, Banks & Prior (2001:11-23) examined the micro politics of a CFS clinic in the UK and found an ideological contest between 114 CFS patients and the medical staff in negotiating medical diagnoses of CFS so that these diagnoses remained in the realm of soma rather than psyche. The patients were well armed with a dominant set of beliefs spawned from ME support organizations that strengthened their collective ideation that CFS symptoms were caused by viral and other physical causative agents. Through subtle negotiation with patients, physicians at the clinic were able to gain cooperation in translating the physical treatment to the psychic realm. This was done by introducing the concept of ‘ brain chemistry ‘ causations for CFS, casting it as soma and getting patients to take medications designed to alleviate mood disorders; namely depression and anxiety.

‘’The focus on brain chemistry has the advantage- from the patient’s standpoint- of keeping their illness firmly within the bounds of soma rather than psyche. From a social scientific point of view…it reflects a distinctive twentieth century understanding as to how psychiatric factors can be conceptualised, and how the division lines between mind and body are being fundamentally redrawn ’(Banks & Prior 2001: 19)

In the case of ME/ CFS we see most clearly a titanic battle between powerful sufferer/patient- support groups across the Westernised world, locked into a sort of crusade against the medical experts, in a quest for an ideological change in the way the medical profession should see their bodies as legitimately physically unwell and their suffering as a legitimate bodily experience of a recognised illness.

I have commented elsewhere ( Millen et al 1999) that self-help and activist consumer groups have begun to give a voice to people with chronic illnesses and disability in a variety of settings (Zola 1991). Groups of CFS sufferers are some of the most recent to join these ranks. These groups provide a forum where people (those with the illness and those who care for them, or believe in their quest) have the opportunity to share and extend their expertise about managing the illness. Groups become politically active when they publicly voice their dissatisfaction with medical and other health and community services. Although the primary focus of such groups may be support for one another, many have moved into trying to influence the community and professional understanding of their problems. In Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and the United States, CFS self help group, under a variety of names have adopted this approach.

Political strategies adopted by such groups can be very sophisticated. Fundraising may be undertaken to encourage research into the condition as well as sponsoring scientific conferences. Additionally groups may “adopt” sympathetic medical practitioners and thus further their careers, by providing them with research money, as well as the providing the research population for analyses. Such groups also establish relationships with pharmaceutical companies, to encourage development and trials of medications. All these activities influence the medical agenda. At the same time, members of such groups will seek opportunities to lobby politicians and health bureaucrats.

In the US and the UK, CFS groups have successfully used governmental processes, the media and research funding to attempt to legitimate the illness. In the UK, a Parliamentary Bill to bring awareness of the illness and its effects was presented in 1989, and an All-Party Parliamentary Committee on ME (myalgic encephalomyelitis, the name most commonly used for this illness in the UK) was formed to develop policy initiatives in relation to this illness (Annual Report of the ME Association (UK) 1990). In the US, a policy resolution on CFS was passed at the Governor's Association meeting in February 1990. This is only the second policy resolution on a health issue ever passed by this group (Heart of America News, Spring/Summer 1990). Twenty-three US states have declared CFS Awareness Days or Weeks. Self-help groups in different countries have also declared an international CFS day following collaborative efforts.

In the most recent five years concerns by ME/CFS patient support and political pressure groups have centred on three key issues, namely, (i) the name change and reclassification of ME/CFS (UK) and CFIDS(USA) to CFS and the possible change back internationally to a new generic name ( CNDS- Chronic Neuroendocrineimmune Dysfunction Syndrome)( Donna Dean, leader of the CFS name change working group- final version, 24 Oct 2001) and all this entails in the effects on clinical diagnosis and treatment; (ii) the shifting of the classification of ME/CFS on the WHO International Classification of Diseases (ICD-10)(1992), from present inclusion under the somatic diseases of the nervous system (G93.3) to mental and behavioural disorders ( F48.0)(selections from ME- leaders website ). The view is sustained that this shift has been provoked by several prominent psychiatric scholars allied to a dominant school of thought in the UK ( Wessely 1995, Wessely et al 1998) and followed in Australia ( Hickie et al 1996) ; (iii) the growing influence of an alliance between psychiatric views on CFS as a somatoform disorder and the need for graded exercise through a regime of Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) (Sharpe et al 1997; Sharpe 1998) These are the main contests for legitimation of ME/CFS facing the patient/ suffer groups at present in their quest for better recognition across the domain of western biomedicine.

However, in forming strategic alliances with sympathetic practitioners, researchers and politicians, politically active ME/CFS sufferers are able to have their own concerns heard. These will be issues beyond the bio-medical model. They include debates about the relationship between the proliferation of ME/CFS and work environments as well as the physical environment and the need to examine the benefits of allied and complementary treatments. Politically active CFS sufferers have formed alliances with other groups involved in the broad social and political processes influencing the bio-medical model generally. These include alliances with public health academics, occupational health researchers, sociologists of health and illness, environmentalists, unionists and other consumer groups

Apologies for not being more specific in my first post. Thank you to everyone, I am very pleased to have received so much interest and informative relevant comments so quickly. I am an undergraduate student doing my dissertation with a medical anthropologist at the University of Durham, United Kingdom. It is only a small project and I was intending to transcribe interviews from about 10 interviewees. My model of M.E. is a multiple stress model where infections and mental stresses cause persistent symptoms of fatigue and post-exertional malaise, as well as other complaints such as brain fog and poor temperature control. As an M.E. sufferer myself I can appreciate the reality of these symptoms.

The focus of my project is on well-being and how CFS sufferers realise it in their own particular ways. A lot of the social science literature I have come across focuses on the delegitimating experience sufferers have where their perceptions and definitions of illness are disconfirmed by others around them; M.E. being a hidden disability of unknown eitology and questionable authenticity in the eyes of others. Also, I have read about how a reduced capacity for activity in Western society which values meritocratic individualism and self-reliance can lead to reduced self-esteem for CFS sufferers. Whilst these factors are often key parts of the illness experience of CFS, my focus is more on areas to do with subjective wellbeing. How CFS changes people’s motives in life, how they assess their quality of life making allowances for their illness?

The idea of M.E. being a modern malady due to the stresses of 21st century living is debatable. This idea was born out of reading into the ‘lost Eden myth’ amongst the anthropological literature; the idea that humanity was healthier and happier before the rise of agriculture and industrial capitalism. This theory that civilisation has ushered in a loss of authentic happiness dates back to thinkers such as Rousseau. I wondered if conversations to do with environmental toxicity, processed foods and perfectionist personality types relate to a larger discourse suggesting that stress-induced illnesses such as CFS are a product of an ‘unnatural’ society and an ‘unnatural’ way of living.

I was intending to use life history interview techniques to understand how sufferers make sense of their illness. One means that sufferers can do this is through creative hobbies such as painting. How do such activities help them come to term with their illness? The role of acceptance has been shown to have important impacts on subjective well-being with CFS. This can involve stopping searching for a definite solution to physical complaints, devoting more time to positive everyday activities, and re-evaluating personal goals, values and priorities. This has been shown to lead to less depression and anxiety and more emotional stability.

This forum is obviously very lively and knowledgeable and I would love for my project to be of real relevance and benefit for CFS sufferers. So any suggestions or relevant pieces of literature you could provide would be much appreciated. It would also be helpful to know whether there are any other projects being undertaken by Phoenix Rising which members have the opportunity to participate in? Or how my research might be used to benefit the interests of the forum?

Thanks again

Alex

chipmunk1

My model of M.E. is a multiple stress model where infections and mental stresses cause persistent symptoms of fatigue and post-exertional malaise, as well as other complaints such as brain fog and poor temperature control.

Why does the model have to include psychological stuff isn't an infectious disease serious enough to cause disability?

Many ME sufferers have very little mental stressors(asides from being ill) but a very low tolerance of mental or physical stress usually caused by the illness not the other way around.

Most chronic illnesses are distressing but generally not thought to be caused by mental stress i don't see why this should be an unique property (and root cause) of ME.

Getting ME does eliminate a lot of the everyday stressors the average person experiences(job, overwork, being busy etc.) but this does not lead to remissions.

? The role of acceptance has been shown to have important impacts on subjective well-being with CFS.

Could you link to a study? What techniques can make people accept their CFS illness?

i just found these two when googling "the role of acceptance CFS"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22118384
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23597322

One from the King's College London, the other from Belgium.

perfectionist personality types

So you theorize that a perfectionist personality could contribute to CFS?

Last edited:

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
My model of M.E. is a multiple stress model where infections and mental stresses cause persistent symptoms of fatigue and post-exertional malaise, as well as other complaints such as brain fog and poor temperature control.

The problem with these sorts of hypotheses, is that 'stress' is used in a non-specific (dare I say it, pseudo-scientific), way. Linking bio-psycho-social needs actual work showing that such aspects are linked. otherwise it is just one of thousands of wooly, untestable hypotheses.

I was intending to use life history interview techniques to understand how sufferers make sense of their illness. One means that sufferers can do this is through creative hobbies such as painting. How do such activities help them come to term with their illness? The role of acceptance has been shown to have important impacts on subjective well-being with CFS. This can involve stopping searching for a definite solution to physical complaints, devoting more time to positive everyday activities, and re-evaluating personal goals, values and priorities. This has been shown to lead to less depression and anxiety and more emotional stability.

This sounds quite reasonable, and indeed, I would suggest leaving your own theories of ME behind and simply report the themes of the stories of those who are ill.

I personally think the sociological relationship between ME and depression is an interesting one. Only about 50% of patients suffer from depression, the question is indeed why, and these are the questions that I ask myself- do those people have more financial stress? Do those people have less social support? Have these people not come to term with the illness yet and are still struggling with a duality of identity (the healthy person that they used to be, or imagine in the hopeful future, vs the ill person they are in the moment).

Esther12

Personally,as an undergraduate project, I think that time would be better spent engaging critically with the poor quality work that's already around CFS rather than just interviewing a small selection of patients about their experiences.

I'm not sure how aware of these problems you are, but Graham from here has done some very simple videos explaining some of them, eg:

A.B.

This forum is obviously very lively and knowledgeable and I would love for my project to be of real relevance and benefit for CFS sufferers

Thanks for clarifying. My honest opinion is that psychology / psychiatry ideas on CFS are generally completely out of touch with reality, and you have obviously been influenced by these ideas. If you approach patients starting from these ideas, your work isn't going to be relevant or useful to them. What we do need is professionals who're willing to challenge these bizarre claims and ideas that only seem to make sense on superficial examination.

Last edited:

chipmunk1

I personally think the sociological relationship between ME and depression is an interesting one. Only about 50% of patients suffer from depression, the question is indeed why, and these are the questions that I ask myself- do those people have more financial stress? Do those people have less social support? Have these people not come to term with the illness yet and are still struggling with a duality of identity (the healthy person that they used to be, or imagine in the hopeful future, vs the ill person they are in the moment).

there could be many reasons. the problem is that depression itself is a fairly vague idea of an illness. It is more a set of symptoms with no clearly known cause and a lot of speculation and theories. Depression could well be different illnesses some psychological some biological.

now the reasons why many people with ME could be depressed(i have no idea if that is true but it wouldn't surprise me)

1. many symptoms of ME do overlap with depression. There could well be misdiagnosed depressives in ME groups and vice-versa but i suspect the latter is more common. there is no generally accepted lab test in depression or Me and diagnoses are made based on mostly subjective symptoms.I think it wouldn't be too difficult to diagnose many ME sufferers with depression if you wanted to even when they are not clearly depressed.

2. being chronically ill and socially isolated could well cause symptoms of depression.

3. Somehow emotional trauma or stress is involved in the pathogenesis of ME. (This is what many psychologisst or psychiatrists might claim)

4. Some depression might be caused by not yet discovered neurological or immune related abnormalities which are shared by ME and depressive illness e.g cytokines, chronic infections, inflammation, toxins etc.

Last edited:

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
The problem with 'one off' interviews is that ME being a chronic illness, that is to say long term, the experience and opinions of the ill person change over time. People who are new to the illness (say 5 years or less) often look for causative explanations and try to make sense of their situation in ways that provide the most hope for getting well. What you are considering is not simple and straight forward.

There is a learning curve to understanding there is no quick fix. Also, the idea of creative outlets, while appropriate for some, for so many others the financial burdens greatly restrict what is available.

As for 21stC malady. . . I suppose since it has not been confirmed in ancient mummies like tuberculosis or malaria and only recently been noted as a condition then it qualifies for new age status much like marburg, ebola, HIV, SARS, ALS and others. The problem being that the exact cause in ME is unknown.

Stress has always been around. One can even make a case for less stress in the 21st C for more people than ever before.

This discussion might be of interest to you: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/do-mes-cause-cfs.31930/

CBS

Apologies for not being more specific in my first post.

<snip>

This forum is obviously very lively and knowledgeable and I would love for my project to be of real relevance and benefit for CFS sufferers. So any suggestions or relevant pieces of literature you could provide would be much appreciated. It would also be helpful to know whether there are any other projects being undertaken by Phoenix Rising which members have the opportunity to participate in? Or how my research might be used to benefit the interests of the forum?

Thanks again

Alex

Alex,

You asked for suggestions and you claim to aspire towards something that would be benefit to the CFS/ME community.

I suggest that you rethink the focus of your dissertation and take an honest and critical look at how you approached this patient community.

What information did you provide in your original post? What was omitted? What was your intended goal in including/excluding certain pieces of information?

What presumptions drove your post/thesis? Was the community’s response to your query a surprise? If so, in what way and why? Had you taken the time to search the forum for others who had posted similar queries (please help me with my dissertation!) and the things they had done right/wrong? If not, what would you have learned from this?

You wrote that you were doing this project for your “dissertation.” Were you aware that many (but not all) forum participants are in the US and that a dissertation in the US suggests that you are a Ph.D. candidate? Was this an intentional “omission?” Are you aware of the history and impact of psychologists from the UK on CFS?

You describe yourself as a CFS patient in the UK who is doing undergraduate work. Can you list the numerous questions that would be raised by that description alone for many of the patients on this forum?

I strongly suspect that many on this forum would agree that the biggest contribution you might make is to educate yourself before presuming that you have anything to offer.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

Aurator

Thanks for being open with us about the scope of your research project, Alex.
You can probably sense that the declared rationale behind it is painful to some of us. One thing specifically has a particular poignancy for me, namely this:
I was intending to use life history interview techniques to understand how sufferers make sense of their illness. One means that sufferers can do this is through creative hobbies such as painting. How do such activities help them come to term with their illness?
You see, before I fell ill I was a professional designer and craftsman of many years' experience. I derived great pleasure from my work and also played an active and fulfilling role in educating the craftsmen and women of the future.

This has all had to stop. I am lucky now if I can do an hour or two a week of the lightest kind of work. I make no mention of the impact the illness has had on my wage-earning capacity as a craftsman.

So you might also want to consider where people like me might fit into your scheme of things. Do you think the hour or two I am able to do a week of my craft can help me come to terms with my illness? Or do you think instead perhaps that the speed with which I now reach exhaustion merely serves as a cruel reminder of how much I have lost to this illness and how slender the prospect is of ever being able to resume my former career? The second of these is the only reality for me.

You've probably realised by now that PWME want one thing and one thing only: it is not to come to terms with their illness but to recover from it - to get it out of their lives, preferably forever, and to be able to live again. It's not unreasonable, I think, to suggest that studies of the kind you are proposing ultimately serve not to help PWME but to prolong their agony because they make research into ME/CFS more diffuse when clarity, focus and increasingly well-aimed biomedical research are what is needed to get to the bottom of this awful illness and give its sufferers the treatment and the respite they have so long been denied.