August 8th, 2018: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe ME
Have you heard of our Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance? Please join Jody Smith in observing this day and honoring the 25% of those with ME/CFS who are most severely ill.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Help me make sense of my GPL-MycoTOX results!

Discussion in 'Addressing Biotoxin, Chemical & Food Sensitivities' started by used_to_race, May 17, 2018.

  1. used_to_race

    used_to_race

    Messages:
    66
    Likes:
    121
    Southern California
    A few weeks ago, I sent in a sample to GPL for their mycotoxin panel. My results came back the other day, and they are as follows (all units in ng/g creatinine):

    Metabolite ------- Result ------- Common Range of Positive Results
    Aflatoxin M1 (AFM1) ------- 0 ------- 1.3-3
    Ochratoxin A (OTA) ------- 48.4 ------- 1.2-5
    Sterigmatocystin (STG) ------- 0 ------- 0.1-2.25
    Roridin E ------- 0 ------- 0.5-2
    Verrucarin A ------- 0 ------- 0.75-2.25
    Enniatin B1 ------- 0 ------- 0.5-1.2
    Zearalenone (ZEA) ------- 0 ------- 0.09-0.45

    So as far as I can tell, this is just a measure of the excretion of any of these toxins/metabolites at the moment the sample was collected. These have an apparently long half-life in the body, so the instantaneous excretion is probably a good indicator of exposure over the month or so preceding the sample collection. Is this a fair summary?

    If that's the case, I see no reason why any particular value is necessarily of clinical significance, despite GPL saying that all positive values are clinically significant. As far as I know, the problem with mold exposure (and CIRS) is not the excretion of the toxin, but rather the lack of one's ability to excrete the toxin. Is this correct? If so, then excretion could be a good thing (albeit suggestive of continued exposure, which is a bad thing), right?

    If this test is proof of exposure, which testing can I do to see if this exposure is problematic in my case? I have had labs drawn for:

    • ADH (Antidiuretic Hormone) - apparently low in cases of mold toxicity. I myself urinate very frequently.
    • HLA-DR by PCR - genetic testing that predicts inability to process certain mycotoxins.
    • MSH (Melanocyte Stimulating Hormone) - apparently low in cases of mold toxicity. Can affect immune function.
    • VIP (Vasoactive Intestinal Peptide) - another hormone that is commonly low in cases of mold toxicity.
    • TGF-beta 1 - cytokine that is often elevated in cases of mold toxicity.
    • Serum Osmolality - apparently low in cases of mold toxicity.
    • VEGF - I think this is a cytokine (?) or some other protein that is apparently high in cases of mold toxicity.
    • Prothrombin/Antithrombin
    I'll follow up with the results here in this thread, and hopefully someone will discuss these with me. Are there any others I should do? I know that C3a and C4a are commonly looked at in CIRS. I had this test done by my rheumatologist a month or two ago. Are the C3 and C4 complements in this panel the same thing as C3a and C4a? My values were at the low end of the normal range for each.

    Additionally, I have taken a VCS test online and scored 100%.

    Depending on the results of these other tests, I will probably get an ERMI kit and have my living room tested, or maybe even several rooms in my apartment. There's no obvious mold problem in my apartment or office, so maybe the source of the ochratoxin A is from food. But because the amount excreted is so high, I can't imagine that all this OTA would be coming from food...

    I can talk about my symptoms if anyone is interested, but basically I have mild CFS-like symptoms for 2-3 years now, sudden viral onset with a couple periods of brief remission towards the beginning. Constant sore throat, mild runny nose, lymphadenopathy, periodic mild POTS/palpitations, frequent urination, cold intolerance. Very limited, even nonexistent cognitive dysfunction. No pain or light/sound sensitivity. Anyone have any thoughts?
     
  2. fromstrawtomore

    fromstrawtomore

    Messages:
    11
    Likes:
    21
    Brisbane, Australia
    - Serum osmolality is often high while ADH is often low
    - C3 and C4 aren't the same as C3a and C4a, and are often low as opposed to high for the latter.

    That's a pretty good panel you've got there.

    The GPL-Mycotox test is a bit of unknown at this point.
     
  3. used_to_race

    used_to_race

    Messages:
    66
    Likes:
    121
    Southern California
    Figured I'd post a little update for ya'll, but this isn't quite over yet.

    My HLA-DR haplotype is one of the multisusceptible haplotypes. But I couldn't really find anything in the literature that shows this to be a robust finding. Maybe I'm missing something big but it looks like conjecture from Shoemaker, and furthermore I've seen that up to 40% of North Americans exhibit this haplotype.

    TGF-beta 1 was 6380 pg/mL which is at the high end of Labcorp's normal range. My new ME/CFS specialist ran this again through Quest, so we will see how it looks on repeat testing. However, this cytokine was also found to be present in ME/CFS by Montoya et al in the famous cytokine paper. She also ran the C4a from National Jewish and the one from Quest, so that should be instructive. My ADH was undetectable, but again, I've heard this is pretty common in CFS/POTS/Dysautonomia, so it doesn't mean I have mold illness. My MSH was normal, even for Shoemaker's range. I've actually heard that higher MSH is more a feature of CFS and I am very pale/reddish haired so it could just be related to those elements. VIP and VEGF were also normal. PTT/aPTT and all that were normal. Osmolality was normal. So basically I am waiting on the C4a to make any conclusions on the blood work, but I don't think mold is my problem.

    I spoke on the phone with a person from GPL who told me that I almost certainly have an ongoing exposure due to the level of Ochratoxin A, but that it is possible that it was a past exposure. She was adamant that there was no chance of this being a lab error. Based on this information, I was about to buy an ERMI kit to test my apartment, but then I found a person locally who does inspections and runs a few tests. She made a really good impression on me, and has a PhD in cell biology. She came and inspected the apartment thoroughly and said she doesn't think there's an issue. When the labs came back, this was confirmed: there is no mold problem in my apartment, the spore counts are just too low for it to be a problem. I also strongly doubt that my office has a mold problem, or else other people would be having symptoms, but I guess it's not impossible.

    Overall, I think that mold illness is a very real thing, but I do not believe the claims about it being widespread to be robust. My current guess is that the GPL result was a lab error, but who knows? I was probably exposed to mold 4-6 years ago in college in Florida. It seems to me like the kind of thing that's nearly impossible to rule out, so I may try cholestyramine or charcoal at some point but it's not a priority to me right now.
     
  4. Learner1

    Learner1 Forum Support Assistant

    Messages:
    2,922
    Likes:
    5,002
    Pacific Northwest
    My Ochratoxin A level was 5.8 on the same test, far lower than your value, and both my ME/CFS specialist and functional medicine doctor were concerned as it could be impacting my immune system.

    I did an ERMI on 2 areas in my house, and one, not my master bathroom which is where I'd thought it might be, was clean. The other had a high level of one Ochratoxin A producing species. Next step, figure out what to do to get rid of it.

    Perhaps it's in your car or where you work if not your house?

    Great Plains recommended doing a companion OAT test at the same time, which had a plethora of abnormal values, including depleted glutathione and vitamin C.

    Rather than binders, which could bind my supplements, my doctor is having me up my vitamin C and glutathione doses, and take them multiple times a day.
     
    used_to_race likes this.
  5. used_to_race

    used_to_race

    Messages:
    66
    Likes:
    121
    Southern California
    I think I mentioned this to you but weirdly, my naturopath, who is a former student of your naturopath's, was unconcerned with the Ochratoxin A in my case. He also said it was a detox issue rather than a root cause, and I'm not sure who to believe. If it was a lab error that would explain a lot, but maybe that's too easy of a conclusion to draw.

    The inspector I hired collected samples in my bedroom and living room after agitating the walls and floors to create a "worst case" set of dust conditions. She also evaluated walls and floors for latent moisture and found none. I am pretty confident that the results I got from her are correct. But I certainly do not envy your position; it's a real dilemma. I guess you have to trust your gut and your own healthcare providers (especially because of their track record in helping you and other patients).

    I think you saw my Genova Nutreval which was collected around the same time, and although it had useful information, it likely did not paint as stark a picture as you saw in your own case.

    Hopefully that works, and you can get to the bottom of this stuff :)
     
  6. Learner1

    Learner1 Forum Support Assistant

    Messages:
    2,922
    Likes:
    5,002
    Pacific Northwest
    Its a detox issue if you have toxic stuff building up faster than you can get rid of.

    What I found was not huge, but my doctors feel it's part of what's keeping me sick and worth dealing with. It's the total load on the body.
     

See more popular forum discussions.

Share This Page