• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help in 23andme-based methylation analysis

Here are my results:

methylation%20results.png

I would really appreciate it if you could help with analysis.

Additional background can be found in a separate thread.

Thank you very much!

Dear Arx, thank you for responding!

Actually, this is exactly the website I used to create the table above. What I'm currently struggling with (as I'm not a biology/genetics/medicine major) is to interpret the data. I thought somebody could probably help with that.
Thanks!

I think someone from this forum only has made the website.Check this out:
http://geneticgenie.org/

adreno

PR activist
The MTRR mutation means you need methylcobalamin. The A1298C means you don't make enough BH4, so you might need that, or at least methylfolate. For BHMT you might need TMG. So you will need:

Methylcobalamin
Methylfolate
B6
B2
TMG

And possibly BH4. Take a look at Ben Lynch's protocol, I think it makes a lot of sense:
http://mthfr.net/mthfr-c677t-mutation-basic-protocol/2012/02/24/

Basically you start with low doses of methylcobalamin, maybe 1/4 of 1mg. Increase slowly to 1mg, then add methylfolate, say 200mcg. Increase that to 400mcg. If that goes well add in B6 (P5P), say 25mg. Then later B2, around 50mg, and lastly TMG, maybe 250-500mg. Good luck!

arx

Dear Arx, thank you for responding!

Actually, this is exactly the website I used to create the table above. What I'm currently struggling with (as I'm not a biology/genetics/medicine major) is to interpret the data. I thought somebody could probably help with that.
Thanks!

Oh. Sorry. I don't know much about this. I hope you find people who have an idea about this. Good luck.

Thank you very much!

I already supplement with a multivitamin that seems to have all of these. It's called Nutrient 950 by Pure Encapsulations. Here is the list of ingredients http://www.pureencapsulations.com/itemdy00.asp?t1=mvck1
This is the best I could find.

It has:
riboflavin (B2) 50 mg.
riboflavin 5’ phosphate 25 mg
methylcobalamin (B12) 1,000 mcg.
folate 800 mcg.
(as Metafolin®, L-5-MTHF)
pyridoxine HCl (B6) 25 mg.
pyridoxal 5’ phosphate 25 mg.
(activated B6)

So, I seem to already get more than that. Is it too much and would it make sense to take less?

Can you tell me what TMG and BH4 stand for? Is it Trimethylglycine?

Thank you for the link. I took a look, but it's titled C677T.
Doesn't it mean that it's only relevant for mutations in this particular SNP?
I'm asking because according to 23andme I don't have mutation in this exact one.

Thank you!

The MTRR mutation means you need methylcobalamin. The A1298C means you don't make enough BH4, so you might need that, or at least methylfolate. For BHMT you might need TMG. So you will need:

Methylcobalamin
Methylfolate
B6
B2
TMG

And possibly BH4. Take a look at Ben Lynch's protocol, I think it makes a lot of sense:
http://mthfr.net/mthfr-c677t-mutation-basic-protocol/2012/02/24/

Basically you start with low doses of methylcobalamin, maybe 1/4 of 1mg. Increase slowly to 1mg, then add methylfolate, say 200mcg. Increase that to 400mcg. If that goes well add in B6 (P5P), say 25mg. Then later B2, around 50mg, and lastly TMG, maybe 250mg.

arx

I do have this file,though:

A Guide to Nutrigenomic Testing by Dr. Yasko.

Maybe it helps! I don't know the format of the table etc. but I remember reading about SNPs in the pdf file. I'll attach it.

Attachments

• guide-to-nutrigenomic-testing.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 12

adreno

PR activist
Thank you very much!

I already supplement with a multivitamin that seems to have all of these. It's called Nutrient 950 by Pure Encapsulations. Here is the list of ingredients http://www.pureencapsulations.com/itemdy00.asp?t1=mvck1
This is the best I could find.

It has:
riboflavin (B2) 50 mg.
riboflavin 5’ phosphate 25 mg
methylcobalamin (B12) 1,000 mcg.
folate 800 mcg.
(as Metafolin®, L-5-MTHF)
pyridoxine HCl (B6) 25 mg.
pyridoxal 5’ phosphate 25 mg.
(activated B6)

So, I seem to already get more than that. Is it too much and would it make sense to take less?

Can you tell me what TMG and BH4 stand for? Is it Trimethylglycine?

Thank you for the link. I took a look, but it's titled C677T.
Doesn't it mean that it's only relevant for mutations in this particular SNP?
I'm asking because according to 23andme I don't have mutation in this exact one.

Thank you!
Ok, that is a good multi. If you feel okay on that I would keep taking it. If you feel wired or overstimulated the dose may be too high. The methylcobalamin might not be absorbed well orally, so I would add some sublingual.

TMG is trimethylglycine, yes. BH4 is tetrahydrobiopterin. It is made in the methylation cycle from methylfolate and cobalamin, but with a A1298C mutation that doesn't work well for you. You might try to "override" this by taking more methylfolate, if you can tolerate it. If not, you can supplement BH4 directly, but it is expensive.

The MTHFR protocol applies to both C677T and A1298C mutations, so it should be useful for you. Luckily you don't have both of them.

There is also a video presentation, you might want to check it out. I posted the link here:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/mthfr-basic-protocol.20979/

Thank you very much for such a comprehensive answer!

I'll certainly research these supplements and will watch a video.

In a meanwhile, if you don't mind, another question.

Why are you particularly concentrating on A1298C, is its impact more pronounced than that of other mutations?

Should I worry about my COMT, BHMT, MTRR, and CBS mutations, are there any implications there?
A66G is the only one that is +/+. So, is it significant?

Thanks again!

adreno

PR activist
Thank you very much for such a comprehensive answer!

I'll certainly research these supplements and will watch a video.

In a meanwhile, if you don't mind, another question.

Why are you particularly concentrating on A1298C, is its impact more pronounced than that of other mutations?

Should I worry about my COMT, BHMT, MTRR, and CBS mutations, are there any implications there?
A66G is the only one that is +/+. So, is it significant?

Thanks again!
All right, I'm not really an expert on these matters, and am only learning about this myself also. So, I just have some general idea of what is going on. I'll try to answer to the best of my knowledge. But really the papers written by Yasko and others will provide you with more information.

Anything +/+ (your MTRR) is significant and must be taken seriously. COMT mutations means you are not breaking down dopamine as fast, so that might lead to overstimulation if you take too many methyl donors. You will have to go by how you feel. BHMT I don't know much about, but I understand TMG might help this pathway. CBS means your transulfation pathway is working overtime, and this means you might have problems with sulfur and ammonia.