• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help! How to move from moldy environment

acrosstheveil

wonder why noone else reacts to the same mold i am being exposed to. what causes the hypersensitivty? I mean, other people are around the same items that cause borderline anaphylaxis for me and it has been like a year since the original exposure.

GypsyGirl

Genetic predisposition. Severity of allergy/autoimmune reactions vary. Toxic overload. There's been some studies of reaction differences between genders.

I'd guess that one's existing immune system state plays a part. In un-sciencey terms, it seems like a domino effect. I had genetic predisposition, wornout immune system, some suspect allergies, and then a virus which hit that first domino...

(My ENT warned me that subsequent re-exposure would likely hit harder. It's the body's self defense stuck on dramatic feedback loop.)

Thanks Gypsy Girl for your really helpful input. Some of the things we are doing - we have a few Winix plasmawave purifiers going to keep the air clean, as well as carbon filters in the a/c.

Relieved to hear that this cleaning process can be done, I was getting quite overwhelmed with the thought of throwing everything out on top of being ill with mold sickness.

I like the idea of sealing the documents as I can't throw a lot of paper things away since they are important legal /business documents.

I am going to begin tackling this now as we move out at the end of the month.

Cheers!

GypsyGirl

@detts, you're welcome! Yeah, the plastic baggies for documents & (aired out) plastic bins for storing them have been very, very useful.

Hang in there. It can be done. :)

GypsyGirl

I soak pieces in warm water with dish soap (or seltzer for my wedding ring - gets gunk out of nooks & crannies), then used baking soda & a soft toothbrush to scrub, then a final rinse.

For costume jewelry, I rinsed in diluted vinegar (put in a bowl & swished a minute). For earrings, I soaked in hydrogen peroxide about 10 minutes.

Real gold is fairly delicate - not sure if you can use vinegar or hydro peroxide, and boiling water isn't recommended. I wiped gold earring backs with peroxide with no damage.