• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help!--advice & support for chronic infection

Dreambirdie

work in progress
I am feeling so wiped out and ill from a cold I have had since X-mas. I can't shake it, no matter what I do or take. It's low grade, but persistent and hellish. I am exhausted and depressed, SO SICK OF THE ISOLATION and MY FUCKING BED--which it seems I have become attached to at the hip.

Someone please throw me a life jacket, I am drowning in despair.

sleepy237

hi Dreambirdie sorry you have had this cold for so long hugs. Do you have congestion? And is it maybe sinus involvement too. Have you tried steam inhalation either steam alone or with menthol ( this helps to clear the congestion) and I would say this is best I know of for getting rid of congestion. Vitamin C, hot lemon drinks/chicken soup, salt gargle. I'm sorry this seems so basic but it is what I use and have had results. Hope you feel better real soon hugs, sleepy

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Hi Sleepy--

Thanks for responding. I feel very alone with this right now, so thank you for caring enough to respond.

I don't have any of the "classic"cold symptoms. Just chills, achy feeling in my body, some sinus pressure and a LOT of restlessness--agitation, that is messing up my sleep, which is the worst thing of all. Maybe I should change the thread name to chronic INFECTION. I am really worn out and having BAD depression with the agitation... It has gotten really bad the past two days... as in REALLY BAD!

I have taken: elderberry, GSE in HUGE doses, chuan xin lian, Lauricidin, and various adaptogen and mushroom formulas. They all help a little and then stop working. It's like the virus keeps mutating and renewing itself.

Any help with this would be appreciated. Also the hugs are very helpful too.

silicon

Hi Dreambirdie,

If the usual approaches have failed you then perhaps an acupuncture treatment from a trusted practitioner (and possibly some boiled Chinese herbs) would be helpful. For what it's worth, that usually seems to start help me snap out of a cold. I hope you start to come out of this soon. It's difficult enough to deal with CFIDS, without this extra layer of debilitation from a tough cold. Here is a hug...silicon

Merry

So sorry, Dreambirdie, for your misery. And sorry, too, that I can't think of anything useful to say!

Hmm. Might you have a secondary infection that followed a cold?

Or is this day upon day of fluey ME/CFS symptoms plus depression (who wouldn't be depressed?) and anxiety? Rest is all I've found that helps with the fluey symptoms.

I hope you can sleep tonight and have sweet dreams.

Hey Dreambirdie

If it's what I had earlier this year, then no magic bullet I'm afraid :-(

I had the flu earlier this year and symptoms wise it seemed indistinguishable form a cold. If that is also the case for you, I don't know that there is anything to do to break out of it. Only things you can and should do to keep from reinfecting yourself (or others), and general common sense you are probably already doing as much as you can like eating good healthy food and sleeping...a lot!

I finally visited my family doc and he said he had dealt with the same thing and it was just one of those things to ride out....which sucked. It's the second year in a row for me with that :p

Alkaseltzer cold med helped the symptoms a bit, and I was really careful about washing dishes, hands after sneezing, keeping bedclothes clean, etc. and refrained from drinking out of containers or anything like that.

I hate to say it but it took over a month to get clear of it for me this year and a lot longer than that last year. Wish I had some better info for you here :(

jstefl

Dreambirdie:

I almost can't believe that I am going to tell you this.

I have had infected sinuses for over twenty years. I have had cold like symptoms with a perpetually runny/stuffy nose. I could not go anywhere without having a handkerchief or tissues available. My sinises were puffy and swollen. Waking up with headaches every day was a big part of my sad life.

I was listening to a radio talk show two weeks ago, and the host was talking about the neti pot. He hadn't tried it, and was wondering why anyone would want to. I looked it up on the internet, and read all kinds of good things about it. I saw videos that made it look easy, but deep down inside, I knew that it was disgusting.

As bad as it seemed, I decided to try it anyway. I read that the mucus in your nasal passages is your immune systems first line of defense against inhaled pollutants. Anything from dust to bacteria, viruses, pollen, and anything else in the air can get caught up by the mucus. The neti pot washes these things out, and clears up the congestion.

When I tried it, I immediately discovered that it isn't nearly as bad as it seems. It is amazing how much mucus is in there to be washed out. I have upgraded from a gravity style pot to a squeeze bottle style. This added pressure helps flush everything out.

The results have been amazing for me. I flush twice a day, and I can breath much more easily during the day. I actually look forward to my next opportunity to flush my sinuses. If you are still congested after flushing, you can use a nasal decongestant such as Zicam to really open you up.

This just may make your life a little more comfortable.

John

ukxmrv

Dear Dreambirdie,

First sympathy and a gentle huge to you ((Dreambirdie))

Sounds like it's similar to the virus (or whatever) I am fighting. Sore muscles, sleep pattern totally messed up, sinus sore/small congestion also restless with agitation as well. At night I feel as if I am burning up but my temperature remains low as normal. Terrible air hunger. Feel trapped in bed and at home.

I've been taking Vit C, Elderberry as well. The thing that usually helps me most is to clean out my sinus area as John suggested. I have been sneezing but do not have much fluid coming out and I'm not bunged up like with a cold. I don't irrigate when I have a clasic cold as in my case, this tends to spread it and make it worse. With colds and flus I tend to get a secondary sinus infection though.

Last night I used my Gossan Irrigator for the first time in a month. Very painful like broken glass. Feeling better today though. If I am bunged up with fluid in my nose/sinus I usually steam that area (with tea-tree and water) to help clear it out and then I can irrigate.

Hope this ramble helps. Horrible to have a bug that goes on forever and makes us feel trapped.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Dreambirdie sorry you're feeling so rough, it really is the pits isn't it? As someone said its bad enough having ME without extra stuff like this. I went through a bad week after xmas feeling like I was going down really bad, I had already invested in some lipospheric vit c and took 3 sashes a day which is a massive amount I honestly feel like it brought me back from the hell-hole I was in, but it really is megabucks - just started feeling like I'm getting somewhere a bit better now and also re-started mineral supplements and kilos of carrots for juicing amongst other things. One of the problems is you don't always feel like taking stuff when you're really ill and thats the time you need it most. Hope it turns round soon and you're feeling a bit better.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Thanks everyone for caring and responding. I really appreciate it A LOT. :hug:

I did have an acupuncture treatment last night, silicon. It helped me sleep better, and alleviated some of the chilled and achy feelings... so we'll see what happens next.

This is an absolutely monstrous bitch of a virus.... Just when I think it's over, it comes back like gang busters. In Chinese medicine they describe chronic infections as "LURKING EVILS," and my dreams have been full of those lately... creepy shadowy figures wanting to break into my house, with me desperately calling 911, as the phone lines go dead or I keep getting the wrong number.

Some very good reminders about the neti pot (thanks jstefl), which I need to pull out of the cabinet and start using religiously again... and to not reinfect myself (Chakra 5), which I will have to be more careful about. I'm thinking specifically of my TOOTHBRUSH, which I rinse with hydrogen peroxide... and now wonder if that is enough?

The info on the Hummingbird site is helpful too--thanks ggingues.

And Merry... please know your kindness is ALWAYS useful. And very appreciated.

The ISOLATION of this already isolating enough disease is what makes me want to pull my hair out and scream. The way the viruses affect my brain and my neuro transmitters is just hideously hellish.
:eek::(:Retro mad::sad::Retro mad::(:tear: I am sure you all know what I'm talkin' 'bout.

Thanks again everyone. And if you do find the silver bullet, please shoot it over to me. FAST!

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I had a flu thing before/after xmas and it was horrible on top of everything else. You really have my sympathy DreamBirdie. Im not going to give you any more advice, but i wanted to send you a big hug. And get well wishes.xxx

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Thanks everyone for caring and responding. I really appreciate it A LOT. :hug:

Some very good reminders about the neti pot (thanks jstefl), which I need to pull out of the cabinet and start using religiously again.

Thanks again everyone. And if you do find the silver bullet, please shoot it over to me. FAST!

Hi Dreambirdie,

I second on the Gossan Irrigator--it is an electric neti-pot which pulses the solution through and is much easier to use than the standard neti-pot--and for me 10 times more effective. It was designed by an ENT and you can set the "force level" of the solution. http://www.hydromedonline.com/hp.html?referrer=GoogleG3a13&gclid=CKXT75iwv6YCFce7KgodlFFTJg

The pulsing is supposed to enhance the natural action of the cilia in the nasal passages. It is one of my better investments as sinus is my weak point too.

Thinking of you!
Sushi

jenbooks

DB, what did you do about your teeth? This sounds to me like you may be harboring residual chronic infection from the tooth problems. They can cause swelling and pressure in the sinuses, and the other symptoms as well.

ukxmrv

Dreambirdie, I throw out my toothbrush when I get an infection that doesn't shift. Gargling with tea tree or salt helps with gum problems and helps clear the sinus area for me.

At the moment, I feel utterly trapped at home and very frustrated with my life. It goes with this bug, I think as normally cheerful.

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
I used to get these in the winter - low grade infections that just dragged on and on - they were just miserable. I don't know how to help with the cold but with the mental agony - you might try just accepting that the cold is there - just tell yourself again and again and again, I accept that I have this cold - accept that you are soo pissed off about it and miserable about it and depressed or whatever. Tell yourself I accept that I am worried and angry or whatever mood you're in.......do it again and again....that can help me alot with the frustration and mental agony that accompanies these things for me...

Good luck with your treatments - I hope you can kick it out soon.

Sometimes sauna did help kick these things out for me.....

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Hey Everyone... Sushi, JB, ukxmrv, and Cort--

Thanks for your responses. I was better for a few hours yesterday a.m., and then I went to the beach yesterday afternoon, got a little bit chilled and BAM! I am worse and down for the count again... IT REALLY SUCKS!

I will respond to some of your ideas a bit later, when I can think and put words together in a sentence.

Thank you for caring, DB

Timaca

You might consider trying a bit of magnesium supplementation to see if it helps with the restless situation. Try it at night before bed.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Hi Dreambirdie,

I second on the Gossan Irrigator--it is an electric neti-pot which pulses the solution through and is much easier to use than the standard neti-pot--and for me 10 times more effective. It was designed by an ENT and you can set the "force level" of the solution. http://www.hydromedonline.com/hp.html?referrer=GoogleG3a13&gclid=CKXT75iwv6YCFce7KgodlFFTJg

The pulsing is supposed to enhance the natural action of the cilia in the nasal passages. It is one of my better investments as sinus is my weak point too.

Thinking of you!
Sushi

I have NEVER heard of this... which surprises me. I will check it out.

QUESTION: Can you use it on your ears too? I have a lot of wax build up in my ears, due to using ear plugs every night, and I am wondering if this could be causing some of the infections...

Dreambirdie

work in progress
DB, what did you do about your teeth? This sounds to me like you may be harboring residual chronic infection from the tooth problems. They can cause swelling and pressure in the sinuses, and the other symptoms as well.

THE TEETH! arrrgggh is all I can say. I have 4 DEEP cavities brewing, which I wanted to drill and be done with a month ago, but got delayed by the holidays and then I got sick. So yes, there could be some issue there.

I am still trying to figure out which plastic filling material to use, as the cavities are on the sides of the teeth, so the dentist doesn't want to "hack away the whole tooth" to make a ceramic crown on each of them. I have 5 samples at home now to try, but need to be clear enough to be ablt to feel which one is okay.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for filling materials? If so, please let me know.

And now it's back to bed for me.

Thanks again, all of you..... for making me feel less alone in this world of the chronically chronic. :hug: