• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Heavy metal detoxing

Radio

my main problem is asthma, allergies and sleep apnea. I can't sleep without this asv ventilator and can't exhale. I'm trying to get allergy shots
Hey, Check the Histamine chef diet. It's a great diet for controlling allergies and dealing with mast-cell issues.

stridor

my main problem is asthma, allergies and sleep apnea. I can't sleep without this asv ventilator and can't exhale. I'm trying to get allergy shots

Brian, who you "met", has had angina since he was 45 and has been on CPAP for years. He wouldn't mind me saying this because we are both "pay it forward" guys who are trying to help the next guy up.
As you know he is mercury toxic. Mercury interferes with energy production..mostly through interference with methylation. This is most likely to show up in the 2 organs that use the most energy - the brain (me) and the heart (bro). Not sure where breathing problems fit in. I suggest that you talk to Brian, he will know more about this. brad

OkRadLakPok

Hi Stridor---

I also want to do IV chelation, Can you please tell how much the entire package cost you ? I know it will not be the same for all, but I need a ballpark figure.

The metals I am fighting are Arsenic (VERY high), mercury, and aluminum.

My dr is great. He is "Integrative" but he also discouraged IV Chelation as his dentist friend had it done and developed a tremor. He gave me MetalloClear which was OK and did SOMETHING, but I think it made me worse. I feel more cognitive fog and fatigue than ever.

However, I am very ill right now and need help. I may have to go to a naturopath who will do it.

From the consult to the last IV......and each session......what was your cost?

Thank you and I agree- WE HAVE TO FIGHT for our health. I will save up what I have to in order to get the IV chelation.

stridor

@OkRadLakPok
If you are trying to chelate mercury then you would be advised to do it orally and follow the Cutler Protocol. In my opinion, there is no safe and effective way to chelate by IV. The dentist that you mentioned is an example of the type of damage that can be done. Even oral chelation is not a walk in the park. I never had ME until I took the fillings out.
I have completed over 200 rounds since Jan 2011. I did take about 40 ACE and Vit C treatments by IV in an heroic but unsuccessful attempt to save my adrenal glands. They were $125 each plus travel expenses.
Many people add DMSA to their capsules to chelate lead at the same time I chose to take ALA only and now that the mercury is gone, I am concentrating on the lead. I am doing EDTA by IV at $150 a pop.
It is important that EDTA not be tried until mercury is cleared as it has made people very ill. Save your money for the supplements that you will need.
Consider joining FDC on yahoo as you will get a lot of help there plus have access to the files which contain a wealth of info.
brad

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@stridor
my osteopath has suggested I leave my last 2 amalgam fillings in as I've had them for 40yrs.... I've struggled with already having 6 removed, no worse but no better ( I get worse initially after removal and then slowly get back to where I was previously)
I was interested that your ME started after having fillings removed, I must admit I am worried about getting worse and not recovering, I remember someone saying Cheyney's advice was to have 1 a year removed. I just feel at my age I'm running out of time and the ability to fight on.

I just feel so strongly about having an amalgam free mouth - but the risk is damaging my health further??
My last 2 are wisdom teeth and I can't have the rubber dam as its not possible to get it on that far back in the mouth.
Other than that he is a good dentist - alternative air supply, face and eye cover.

stridor

@maryb
I feel for you. IMHO, your reaction to amalgam removal suggests "full bucket syndrome". And because of this I feel that Hg is driving your health issues. I had the same response only magnified. I also lost thyroid and adrenal function. Your concerns over get,ting sick are real.
Most people do not react to the Hg they are exposed to having this work done. A test for heavy metals may help you decide what to do next.
I guess pulling the last two teeth sounds drastic? brad

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@stridor
thanks for replying - I'm also a bit worried about the heavy metals test my doc wants me to do (DMSA) I just feel I'm already in a fragile state and it wouldn't take much to tip me.
funny you should say that about extractions - I was awake the other night going over and over in my mind whether I should solve it this way. Then you have the problem of getting an infection in the extraction site, I already have chronic strep infections.
should I or not??? I really need to think about that option though.

OkRadLakPok

Thank you, Stridor.
It is scary. Have you ever heard of MetalloClear? I have done that in three phase, each time with terrible reactions. The last one did me in.

I have done ALA, too. I just react to everything.

I am bad off right now and cannot eat without feeling sick and cannot run anymore. I also have been getting anaphylaxis and allergies.

I used to do marathons, and with the last MetalloClean......pow....I can walk, but have to go slow and push myself. Feel sick all the time and starting to panic.

It may have wacked out minerals.

stridor

@maryb In my opinion the hair test is more informative and ultra-safe. If you are interested go to yahoo FDC and they will advise.
My brother will read it for you (some of us are hoarders and will show low when we are high).
Some dentists will not extract viable teeth...but they will make exceptions for wisdom teeth. No one but you can make this decision but given your history, I would line-up some liposomal C or IV C for after removal. I put my recipe on here someplace for liposomal C. Brad

stridor

@OkRadLakPok
Listen... Please. This is not a competition but I can assure you that I was likely sicker. You can get better but not without "getting smarter"...at least I had to.
You will get sicker with chelation -the question is how sick? If you ignore the half-life of the chelating agent, Hg will be released to promote oxidation and enzyme disruption. You will have to do some research....or do what I did. Find the smartest guy you can, who made the recovery you hope to make and then do what they did.
Hence, I followed the Cutler Protocol. At least buy "Amalgam Illness" and learn about your enemy :). Brad

npeden

NPeden, Monterey, CA
I don't know what serrra/natto is...an antinflammatory (?) The EDTA is a concern. First, no one should use chelators with amalgam fillings in place - but you likely already know this. Dr Boyd Haley is one of the leading experts on mercury toxicity and he found that EDTA bound to mercury made a more toxic compound. I am not a chemist and have not ability to decifer the data even if handed the study that showed this.
What happened to me was that during the DMPS Challenge Test, I was scared when I lost the ability to speak. Didn't last long but left a lasting impression. As I left the office I said to my wife, "I don't know where we are going with this mercury thing but I know that I will not give up control ever again". I used Cutler's Protocol, based on ALA mainly. I made up my own capsules and had total control over the whole process.
There are better choices than EDTA IMHO. ALA crosses the BBB and brings mercury back out. It is the standard against which any other therapy needs to be measured.

Stridor, my ND had me chelating with my amalgams! It took me some research to find out it is such a no no. Had to go see an expensive dentist to have him quote Haley to me....in my ND's defense, this dentist did not return his calls.

Anyway, I am going to start to have my amalgams removed next week and I am terrified, financially and physically. I am highly mutated and I have a nice load of candida protecting me (as I learned in several places) from the metals.

What I want to understand is the use of ALA. I over produce sulfur, take lots of NAC (2400 mg/day) to get some methylation. ALA is all sulfur. Will I have to stop my methylation or can I use ALA, molybdenum and NAC or will the molybdenum make the ALA impotent?

npeden

NPeden, Monterey, CA
BTW Natto is a unique tasting Japanese food that does a great job reducing cholesterol. I take Jarrow's Natto Max.

stridor

Hi @npeden
It is kind of important to get this chelation thing right. I didn't and lost the function of my adrenals and stepped through the doorway into ME/CFS. You might want to find a smarter ND.

I am not aware of the science behind NAC increasing methylation. It does help increase glutathione production in those where this is the limiting factor. Some here will actually have high cystine/cysteine levels to start with.

The use of NAC is controversial both here and on the mercury sites. Here, NAC and the glutathione (that it helps to create) purportedly bind to and remove extracellular B12 from the body - hence you feel worse. On the Hg forums they say that the single thiol group in NAC mobilizes but does not remove Hg and so you feel worse. I was taking doses a bit lower than yours until I read a study that said that it was capable of moving Hg into the brain - in rats.

Cutler thinks that the human blood-brain-barrier is superior and that this is not so much of an issue in humans. I (and likely many with ME) have CCSVI which means that blood goes the wrong way in the veins of my neck. This puts pressure on the BBB and could in theory change many of the dynamics. I sure feel like someone who moved Hg into my brain.

NAC is a sulfur product. If you can even tolerate it somewhat at the doses you take then I suspect that you can handle ALA. Not to say that you won't have side effects but they will be from moving mercury and not from interference with sulfatio per se.

Molybdenum is recommended. I took it when I was sick. I had the "sulfite itch". We have some of the same SNPs.

This chelation journey can be perilous. There are many things that need consideration. The reason that I came here was to mimic Freddd. And I went to the Frequent Dose Chelation site to follow Cutler. I am not smart enough to interpret the science myself. Hence the axiom, "When faced with a difficult journey, find the smartest person who has had success and then do what they did."

"Amalgam Illness" is a must have for anyone moving against mercury and will the best money you spend.
Familiarize yourself with safe removal and consider IV Vit C for later in the day (it can interfere with the freezing) or consider making your own liposomal Vit C. I left a recipe on this site somewhere.

good luck - let me know how you make out. brad

Sparrowhawk

If you're super toxic w. mercury, then do what I've done and start with just 1mg DMPS for 3 day rounds. It's made a huge difference in my energy levels and other symptoms in only six rounds. I've done as long as a week but after that I start to get to tired and need a week to recover. I'm not even going to consider ALA until I can get up to 5mg DMPS and then I'll start w. only 1mg ALA. You don't have to dive right into ALA to see some nice gains.

physicsstudent13

I'm not sure if NAC is safe at higher doses. it is used in hospitals for acute emergencies when your life is threatened by tyenol poisoning

I think the NAC is helping but it may cause brain and heart damage in rats. You can take glutathione in pills but it is really expensive. NAC does reduce damage from drugs to the liver I'm not sure what the chemical process is unfortunately. I'm not sure how many heavy metal levels I have, the heartfixer site uses urine testing to measure the levels. so I guess I will take IV B complex and C later in the day after NAC? I took something yesterday and felt a lot of energy but no clarity, was really foggy

Misfit Toy

When I had the amalgams removed or they tested my mercury levels and used DMPS....I had to go to the ER. My heart was flying, I couldn't get out of bed, etc.

My doc had me come in for 3 days for IV minerals and vit C. That helped. I would never do DMPS ever again. Ever.

I think these chelating protocols suck. It depends on how sick you are and how sick you are willing to get. And....if you are at the bottom, you don't want to go further down.

Years later....lead came up high.

I had chelation. A massive dose. Again, in bed for 2 weeks, IC going nuts, heart flying....sick. Zero energy.

Not well enough. Didn't have enough minerals in body, wasn't absorbing them, etc.

Chlorella was better, cilantro, vitamin C and magnesium. Charcoal. This thick goop that holds metals in your intestine so they don't keep being recycled through your liver.

Hot, hot baths and an infrared sauna.

That was what worked for me.

I found this thread while searching on google and wanted to share my experience. I have tried every heavy metal detox protocol out there with mixed results. The program that worked best for me was a program similar to Dr. Chris Shade's mercury detox protocol which consists of microsilica (IMD), liposomal glutathione, liposomal vitamin C, and other supplements and minerals.

The following articles have a lot of very useful information on the process of heavy metal detoxification:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3654245/
http://thesupermandiet.com/detox/

I found it is really critical to boost glutathione levels first before taking any of the strong chelators like ALA & EDTA. Also, cleaning up the diet plays a major role in detoxification, and eating certain foods that can cause inflammation in the gut, can interfere with the detox process and slow it down.

Last edited:

sianrecovery

It feels like a total minefield, the heavy metals arena...no pun intended. I've done my due diligence, looked at the IV stuff, the usual 'detox' options, Nightshade, and Cutler. Everyone starts from a different place, but for me, Cutler has the most convincing arguments. I like that there's a big group of people currently using his protocol I can interact with on the yahoo FDG. My caution is my kidney disease, which will undoubtedly make the process more complex, and my raging candida. For that reason, I am going to work with a practitioner who has had some training in the AC protocol, and see how I get on. I don't start with her for a month. I'll let you guys know how I get on, but from everything I read, it looks like a long job. All my amalgams are now gone (after 30 years in place) and all my root fillings. I only have six teeth left after a bone infection in my jaw. Two of them are crowns that the previous dentist and current dentist assure me have no metal under them. I am deeply tired of people doing unpleasant things to my mouth, but I guess they'll have to be lifted to check. Sighs. My other reason for wanting the mercury and lead gone - other than the obvious - is that I am also starting to treat Lyme and babesia and I understand mercury is immuno suppressive. This thread has made me think about restarting my methylation protocol as well.

Sparrowhawk

@sianrecovery both DMSA and DMPS clear through the kidneys, so you may be one of the folks for whom doing ALA only rounds might make the best sense? The yahoo FDC group moderators may have more ideas for you if you post your situation there. There is also a related group on FB where Andy answers questions directly and other moderators provide support.

I'm the opposite, my liver is pretty challenged, so I'm doing DMPS only right now with some great gains in the early rounds (now on round 15).

Best to you regardless for your chelation. I did the same as you, researched for over a year before deciding to go Cutler method.