• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Heavy metal detoxing

physicsstudent13

my doctor doesn't want to give me the IV EDTA, how can I convince her, my cholesterol was high and I have a terrible painful calcified prostate and blocked ducts. I got IV vitamins after food poisoning and it was great I feel a little better after vit B complex, vit C, saline IV.
www.heartfixer.com this cardiologist believes in it.

anyway after years of vit B shots it's interesting that the IV vit B works though I'm still exhausted from sleep apnea and on a ventilator and oxgyen

stridor

@physicsstudent13
Never take "no" for an answer, buddy. When I write my book (if, I should say) the one message that will extend cover-to-cover is to do whatever it takes to get well.

I did "end runs", I lied, I manipulated, I double-Dr'd, I was non-compliant, I took medication that was prescribed for someone else, tried to get medication shipped in from another country (Canada Customs had something to say about that!), I even took OTC hydrocortisone ointment and squirted it into capsules and took that.

I did whatever it took and found a way around every roadblock that a Dr tried to erect. Few Drs will order IV EDTA. They still embrace the dogma that it is quackery. Studies are emerging showing that they are wrong but they still embrace the dogma that they should only pay attention to studies that agree with the "party line".

You want to find a naturopath. EDTA is in their area of expertise. You won't have to look too long or hard. This is their thing. brad

physicsstudent13

I just can't afford the EDTA- I think the IV vitamin C,B,zinc really helps liver damage and nausea.
I have EDTA powder and it's ok. and now my doctor says I can't get any more IV vitamins. is there a cheap naturpath in NY who can do the IV treatments? maybe the gut absorption is low for vitamin B especially on metformin.
but now I'm not sure I should take the EDTA because the vitamin infusion seems to be good for my damaged liver
mainly I have breathing problems in my sleep and am on oxygen, klonopin and a ventilator which causes liver damage and diabetes

stridor

@physicsstudent13
I have had some problems absorbing certain vitamins as well. I inject B complex daily with the daily RDA. So at least I know I have that on board. They sting a bit. Plus, I take oral.
I am still taking the mfolate sublingual. I will be switching to oral and just take as much as I need.

Have you considered making your own liposomal Vit C? It is cheap and as good as IV.

physicsstudent13

how do you make your own vitamin B and C? I think the IV really helps my liver damage, still exhausted and nauseous though. I'm definitely less nauseous like after taking antibiotics since I got the 3 vitamin IV treatments. I take probiotics, probiotic yogurt, glutamine
if I start taking oral EDTA powder is that going to damage my liver/kidneys, it's mainly for heart, vessel diseases? it seems like a good preventative treatment for heart disease

stridor

I get my Vit B from the Dr. Any ND will have this stuff. It has B1, B2, B5, and B6. I inject it with mB12 each morning.
I think I should start a new thread with the recipe of liposomal C. Others may be interested too.

As I said before, be careful with the EDTA powder. I take it by IV but only after chelating mercury for almost 3 years and having the methylation protocol established. I put it on the back-burner until my other health issues were controlled. EDTA will bind with minerals and carry them out of the gut. Sounds like you are fighting hard to get your gut healthy and to a place where it absorbs things.
I'll go make that Liposomal C post if I can't find one on the site already.

I hope you don't mind me asking a question here....

My Doctor suspects that I still have heavy metals yet my hair mineral tests no longer show any toxicity. However it does show imbalances and deficiencies. My understanding is that the toxic minerals shows up in the hair test when the body is actually releasing then. My Dr says my body is probably unable to detox the metals at the moment. Does the hair mineral test and more specifically the mineral ratios give any indication that there may be a heavy metal issue even though the test is not currently showing any toxic minerals?

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@2012
I would say no. I had a hair mineral test, it didn't show particularly high levels of mercury but as I had a mouthful of amalgams?? And as soon as I have a filling removed I get massive symptoms of mercury poisoning despite doing all the precautions with supplements and using a proper dentist.
What was interesting for me was that it showed high levels of arsenic, at the time I was eating a lot of rice, I changed my diet and now have rice rarely. It was useful for that alone. Nothing lost if you can afford it.

stridor

@2012 @maryb
The answer is a firm maybe.
Hair tests have to be interpreted. Mercury levels themselves won't be representative in almost all cases. This is why the first haircuts of autistic kids show no mercury. They are hoarding it and it is not being expressed in their hair. Mercury also disrupts the other mineral readings. This is the give-away and Cutler wrote a book on how to detect mercury messing around in the background. For example, 90% of us will have low lithium.

The other thing going on is that metal toxicity is more of a CNS problem. While lead seems to be able to move in and out of the brain, mercury gets trapped behind the BBB. This means that someone who has stopped all exposures could end up with acceptable peripheral levels (like that found in hair samples) and yet still be toxic because the half-life of mercury in the brain is around 20 years.

Hmmm. Well I certainly have CNS problems and the doctor for some reason believes that heavy metals play a part in my case. I'm just so over taking things and have stopped most of what I was previously taking. I just don't know whether to persist down this path and take supplements to support metal detoxing or whether I'm wasting my time and money on something that may or may not be a part of my problems.

It sounds like A. Cutler's book may be worth looking at when I'm up to it. However it is all so overwhelming and I'm just so over all this. I know I'm not the only one!!!

stridor

@2012
If you get your hair tested you can take the results and post them on this site:
http://www.livingnetwork.co.za/chelationnetwork/chelation-the-andy-cutler-protocol/

Then go over to yahoo's FDC site and my brother will interpret the results. Ask for Brian.
If you wonder about mercury in the brain then you can do a course of ALA = alpha lipoic acid. Try 50 mg every 3 hours around the clock x 21 doses. Any change, whether better or worse, means that you are moving metal. You should have no effects from this otherwise.
brad

Thanks. Lots of helpful people on here.

My hair test isn't through DDI so I'm not sure that they will submit it to the website.

@2012
Consider showing it to Brian on FDC anyway. He's a pretty smart guy.

I ran my tests past Brian. He suspected Mercury toxicity for all my tests. I have been taking my metal detox supplements again and feel absolutely terrible. I don't think that it is necessarily due to that as I was already starting my routine decline and crash prior to this. I also react badly to just about every food, supplement and medicine under the sun.

stridor

@2012
I don't know if you are as toxic as I was or not. I had significant exposures on the farm where we used it to spray the orchards.
Even done correctly, chelation can be a bitch. Done poorly or with an unscientific approach, it can cause permanent damage. Making mistakes with chelation cost me the function of my adrenal glands and I will be on hydrocortisone for life.
I entered into chelation with my own set of ideas and this was part of my undoing. (This is similar to people on this site who have not progressed after modifying Freddd's ideas to incorporate their own beliefs).

I am not stupid....but neither am I smart enough to wade through the multitude of studies on mercury and wrestle with the science. Faced with these complexities, I came up with a new approach, and it goes like this.

"When you need to make a difficult journey, find the smartest person you can who has successfully made that journey and then, do what they did."

I "rented" Cutler's brain for mercury chelation and I "rented" Freddd's brain for methylation.

Have a look at this site.
http://www.flcv.com/amalg6.html

Cutler went through all this and more, even replotting the data to evaluate the validity of the studies.
While I believe that the Cutler Protocol is the best way to chelate, I am not going to harp about it. If you buy the book Amalgam Illness, it will still offer ideas on supplements and things that will augment other means of chelating.

I still struggle with absorption. I was down to chicken and salad, 3 meals a day in 2011. I will not list all my food sensitivities etc that I had back then. I just wanted to say that it gets better. I only react to gluten now...mind you, I react to it worse.
Good luck. Let me know if I can help.
brad

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@2012
I think just taking stuff to chelate metals can be pretty dangerous, I was there 3 years ago - I know more now and whilst I've still got 2 amalgam fillings to get rid of I will be as careful as I can, making sure anything I take is gentle and just works in the digestive tract, things like clay, zeolite, charcoal etc. I think once you've had your amalgams removed then you can get into the Cutler protocol as @stridor says.

Things like ALA and cilantro can cross the B/B barrier and you don't want to be doing that if you aren't taking enough stuff to bind and pull them out, especially with amalgams still in - there is the possibility for mercury to end up getting re-absorbed into the brain - at least that's my understanding.

I'm hoping to start Cutler 3 months after my last amalgam is gone - with luck the end of Jan 2014. So looking at April to do major chelation, in the meantime going to start coffee enemas as well, anything that helps the body get rid of toxic stuff is good.

This is a bit taken from the link from stridor above - too much for me to read but makes sense with regard to my experiences. Mercury is one of the worst things on the planet.

"Mercury blocks thyroid hormone production by occupying iodine binding sites and inhibiting hormone action even when the measured thyroid level appears to be in proper range(390,35ab). The thyroid and hypothalamus regulate body temperature and many metabolic processes including enzymatic processes that when inhibited result in higher dental decay(35) . Mercury damage thus commonly results in poor bodily temperature control, in addition to many problems caused by hormonal imbalances such as depression. Such hormonal secretions are affected at levels of mercury exposure much lower than the acute toxicity effects normally tested(390,50,84,595), as previously confirmed by hormonal/reproductive problems in animal populations(104,381c,50d). Mercury also damages the blood brain barrier and facilitates penetration of the brain by other toxic metals and substances(311). Thyroid imbalances, which are documented to be commonly caused by mercury (369,382,459,35,50,91), have been found to play a major role in chronic heart conditions such as clogged arteries, mycardial infarction, and chronic heart failure"

stridor

@2012 @maryb
Thanks maryb. And congrats on moving against mercury. If I can be of any help let me know.
Jeepers 2012, I assumed that your amalgams were removed if you were taking chelating agents. Was I mistaken?
In Jan 2008, I took ALA and my health took a major nosedive...I still had a mouthful of fillings! I was in good shape mentally and physically then and I have never found my way back.

Though with Freddds help, I'm getting there - one step at a time.

stridor

@physicsstudent13 @Radio
http://curezone.org/forums/fmp.asp?i=723104
Dr Boyd Haley is an expert on mercury. In the above letter he is commenting on the idea that he unintentionally perpetuated that EDTA was toxic when used to chelate mercury. In this letter, he suggests that EDTA will not chelate mercury well. While it may bind to mercury in vitro, in the human body it behaves differently and preferentially targets other metals.. It is a very good chelator for lead.
Of course, EDTA or any chelator should only be used by someone who has had their fillings replaced.
brad

physicsstudent13

my main problem is asthma, allergies and sleep apnea. I can't sleep without this asv ventilator and can't exhale. I'm trying to get allergy shots