• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Heavy Brain fog and energy fluctuation - history of depression and anxiety

Santino

Hey,

yes. I think you are right and I should check my Thyroid. I don´t have typical symptoms as weight gain. I rather have difficulties maintain my weight. But I should track that...

Now...Today I have big problems with anxiety, hyperexcitability. I don´t expect anyone to say why. I just mention it here to just write it down.

I am heavy anxious-depressive. Not about a special thing. The feelings are just there and there is this brain fog.

I am afraid that I won´t be able to handle these states any longer.

Maybe it has to do with the sunshining (yester day was in the sun all day) which made me a little manic and I have this mixed state now?!

Or it is because I did not take any probiotic now since 5-6 weeks (which I always did and which always helped with my mood swings).

Hopefully I can tolerate prescript assist.

Do you want to try CBD oil or something similar @Gondwanaland ?

I think this is worth a try--> no adverse reaction + possible positive effects on thyroid, gut and inflammation in body...

I will consider trying it after my exams.

Tomorrow I have exam and I have to learn a lot, but I can´t concentrate and feel to anxious-depressive...:/

I forgot to mention that I more and more often experience Sinuses Not paranasal but...yeah sinuses where my forehead is between my eyes. It is often at the same time there with brain fog...What the hell is going on?!

I don´t think about histamine as I have near to zero histamine in my diet at this moment...

Gondwanaland

Do you want to try CBD oil or something similar @Gondwanaland ?
I have given some thought about it after you mentioned. I hope I will not forget to comment on it later.
yes. I think you are right and I should check my Thyroid. I don´t have typical symptoms as weight gain. I rather have difficulties maintain my weight.
Same with me
You know, the 1st thing I had to do when I increased my T3 intake was to reduce my SSRI o_O I am tapering it down and soon will be able to quit it.
I forgot to mention that I more and more often experience Sinuses Not paranasal but...yeah sinuses where my forehead is between my eyes. It is often at the same time there with brain fog...What the hell is going on?!
I think you should take probiotics

I have been alternating S. boulardii with probiotic mix and always skip 1 or 2 days with no probiotic intake. I am having BMs at a reasonable frequency.

Santino

I also think that I should ;-) But you did not forget that I had allergic reaction to ALL probiotics I tried? I tried 6 different and some of them I could tolerate for months without any problems but then my body got sensitive.

I just can hope (and I think) that I am sensitive to the ingredients and not to the microbes themselves...

Can I get a diagnosis from hashimotos just from the T3 etc? Because doctors always measured T3, T4 and TSH and they always said my thyroid is fine. I also was tested for antibodies in 2011 and in 2014. Both negative.

How can I be sure that I do not have hashi?

I will read into the topic of CBD after my exams deeper. First of all I wait for the clinic and the diagnosis (if they find one). If they do not find anything or want me to try drugs with severe side effects, maybe I will ask them about LDN OR just work with CBD oil on my own.

I hope that I can take probiotics soon (prescript assist) but I expect that it will be the same as always and I get a reaction to it. But with prescript assist there just the capsule seems to be synthetic, there are not vitamins. So maybe, if I am lucky, I can tolerate this one.

A lot people seem to find this the best probiotic. I never saw these soil based bacteria in any other products. Would be something new to me after I tried many "typical" probiotics with bifido and lacto bacillus.

Today I was constipated with dry stool in the morning (so not really constipated any more but it moved slowly) and in the afternoon I had diarrhea... Really crazy what is going on in my body...But I just took some magnesium citrate in the morning. Maybe this worked that late...(ealier I felt the effect within 2 hours).

WOuld be great to hear if you experiment with anything (like CBD or LDN or your probiotic etc.) But I personally have most hope in things I know I do not react to...And with any supplements (also probiotic) the chances are high that I cannot use it. I could get S. boulardii without any additives, but I do not want to make my constipation worse. And there are a lot people writing about that.

Gondwanaland

Can I get a diagnosis from hashimotos just from the T3 etc? Because doctors always measured T3, T4 and TSH and they always said my thyroid is fine. I also was tested for antibodies in 2011 and in 2014. Both negative.

How can I be sure that I do not have hashi?
I think it doesn't matter. If your free T3/reverse T3 ratio isn't good, you will benefit from replacing T3 or thyroid glandular. Actually I think you should try it independently of the results.

When I was reacting to vitamin A and C, nitrates in vegetables and a lot of other stuff, I think that T3 replacement would have solved my problems, but I didn't find a dr to prescribe it back then. Instead I was prescribed T4 which made me worse and then I had to start a SSRI. Now that I am ramping up the T3, I am able to taper down the SSRI and I think I will soon be able to drop it altogether. I has been really helping with brain fog, focus more complete bowel movements and circadian rhythm. Also a sublte improvement in mood, not like the flatness from the SSRI.

Important adjuncts are probiotics (so far S. boulardii and my mix of L. rhamnosus, L. reuterii, B. bifidum and L. paracasei/casei). I am still avoiding acidophilus, but it is present in the yogurt I am eating and tolerating well despite the bloating :rolleyes:

If you decide to try boulardii, don't take it everyday, start with 1 every 3 days. My impression is that it lowers inflammations and allows me to tolerate more stuff. I have been taking it on and off since September annd this way it doesn't worsen my constipation. there has been one week back in October that I took it everyday and then my constipation got worse. So far I am having no luck with prebiotics. I have restarted eating sauerkraut, perhaps it has been helping as well.

I will keep postponing other interventions (LDN, CBD) for when I finish my studies which I don't know anymorewhen will happen :meh: (hopefully in another couple of months).

Gondwanaland

mmmmmm
I will say that this gut modification process became much more tolerable once I started using a TLR4 antagonist (naltrexone) to dampen down the symptoms caused by LPS. After starting LDN my tolerance of prebiotics probably doubled overnight. It is something to consider perhaps for people who are stuck at the first hurdle where literally everything they take causes intolerable systemic inflammatory symptoms.

Gondwanaland

One additional reason for me to be avoiding LDN is because I am having very curious dreams every night, and they have been my favorite source of entertainement at the moment. They are weird and enjoyable, and I know how I can feel disturbed by nightmares. I have a terrible memory, but I can remember almost all the nightmares I ever had since a little kid.

Santino

I also can remember my nightmares. Had very bad one when I was little child beeing on my ben on the sea and sharks and crocodiles all around me ;-)

And always have nightmares after I was exposed to cannabis (mostly smoked but 2 times oil also caused nightmares). And I always remembered and they are really bad to remember. But they are just dreams and you can decide to not pay attention to them once you recognized that they are dreams. Also it is likely that this will subside, isn´t it? At least, that is what I find on these LDN sites. Sleep disturbance and vivid dreams (which do not have to be nightmares) go over. And if they do not they go over as soon as you stop taking it.

But because you take t3, maybe you will get hyper when taking LDN.

What Sidereal wrote may sound like a reason for you to take it or for me also, but N=1 is nearly the same as N=0. If there are 1000 of people saying this, then it is likely that you experience this.

Think about SSRI. Studies done with 100000 of people and more. You still cannot say how it influences a person for 90%. Maybe you can for 60%.

So we must be careful with conclusion we make from out experiences you red in forums.

The vivid dream are something which is mentioned often. In studies this was 10-20% I think. So the likelihood for you maybe between 5%-30%. Nobody knows but this the interval which would be statistically likely I think.

Did you stop your study or why are you not knowing when to finish?

I am busy with exams. Maybe I will need to make a pause after the exams because of my health status. Still the other half to go! I would like to go on to finish as soon as possible but I might get into trouble...I will wait what the doctors find in the clinic

Santino

did you ever try niacine? Read some articles that it might help detoxify (dr. Mercola) and may help with psychiatric disorders of many kinds. But did not find hard evidence on that until now...

Santino

Unfortunately I get heavy allergic reaction again because of prescript assist. So I cannot take it.

Read some more studies and found that THCA also seems to have anti- convulsant effects and like LDN it seems to be modulating the immune system. it can either be suppressing or activating.

It works not like CBD but it seems to be very helpful in my case either, maybe even more helpful.

It seems that research very long focussed on THC and CBD, also CBN but not THCA or CBDA.

For me it is very easy to get THCA-rich cannabis while it is more difficult for anybody to find CBDA rich cannabis (which would be converted to CBD with heating, but u then also alway get active THCA = THC).

I think that I will try this out next weekend. Because I know that I can tolerate THCA. Maybe it help to calm down inflammation and my immune system.

LDN could make this, too, but my body does not know it and he reacts to everything, especially synthetic substances...

Gondwanaland

Taking T3 has been really helping me, and it brought me improvements to the point that now homeopathy has a good effect on me. Last Sunday I started a new homeopathic remedy that is making all the difference for me in regard of my cognition.

I am going to give 2 months more to see how low my antibodies drop. If they keep sinking, there will be no need for me to start LDN and then I will be able to take all the support my thyroid needs (iodine, vit C etc).

I already read about side effects to all probiotics, including Bifidobacteria. I think that to get good results with probx from start you need to know exacly what is going on with your immune system (Th1, Th2, Th17 etc) and to know exaclty the effects on immune system from the specific strains.
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/rethinking-probiotics.24643/

Santino

In my case, it is not because of the bacteria. It is because of additives. It is the same reaction I get from all the supplements. I do not always mention it but when I say "reaction" I mean the flu like reaction I always talk about. So it has nothing to do with the bacteria. It would be great if it would be so easy for me, so that I just needed to look into th-categorys...unfortunately there is not systemic in the reactions I have. That´s the biggest problem and the only answer to this seems to be to get and an overall suppressive effect.

What do you mean with homeopathic? Homeopathy like it exists in Germany is "only" working with placebo effects. There is much evidence showing that is has no effect. I would be interested into "homeopathic" treatments which can lower antibodies or enhance cognition. Never heard of that.

In any case, it sounds great and that you on the right path, because tolerating more, lowering antibodies seems like you are doing the right things for you.

I found a shop in the UK who sells some probiotics raw with maltodextrin (which I can tolerate). But unfortunately they just sell bifido and lactos. no soil based organisms...

Gondwanaland

What do you mean with homeopathic? Homeopathy like it exists in Germany is "only" working with placebo effects. There is much evidence showing that is has no effect. I would be interested into "homeopathic" treatments which can lower antibodies or enhance cognition. Never heard of that.
I mean Hahnemann's traditional homeopathy, and I don't feel the need to discuss if it is placebo or not. I have found an excellent practitioner now and both my husband and I are feeling subtle but remarkable improvements. Last year when I was in a really bad place I even got worse from taking a wrong homeopathy.

Gondwanaland

BTW if I was to get a placebo effect from something I take it could have been long before from anything else ;)
I am not a gullible patient

Santino

Hmm. I find it difficult with this treatment. Can´t believe in it. I tried once over 8 months and lost lot of money. Felt no difference...Maybe that is the reason I am so sceptic about it. I tried to find any evidence that it works but I failed. But as I said: What works is "right"...And if it works for you both, then maybe it is just working for some people under certain conditions and that is the reason why it can not be backed up by studies.

I am really no expert in homeopathy. So don´t care about what I think about this therapy.

Thursday is my last exam for this semester. After that, I make my own THCA tincture. I already ordered pure alcohol :)

Gondwanaland

Hmm. I find it difficult with this treatment. Can´t believe in it. I tried once over 8 months and lost lot of money. Felt no difference...Maybe that is the reason I am so sceptic about it. I tried to find any evidence that it works but I failed. But as I said: What works is "right"...And if it works for you both, then maybe it is just working for some people under certain conditions and that is the reason why it can not be backed up by studies.

I am really no expert in homeopathy. So don´t care about what I think about this therapy.
I am no expert either. But in my experience, when I was at my worst it didn't work.
I already ordered pure alcohol
I thought that a good vodka should be ok for that

Santino

Tomorrow the alcohol will arrive and I will start with the THCA tincture. I have everything necessary here to start including 5g high THCA-Cannabis. If it works I will make greater amounts at once. But I bought 5g at first to just try out.

I will start with the extract from out 0.2g Cannabis per day. That´s the amount some people use in one joint.
The dosage is splittet over day with the last dose before bed.

If this won´t work I will try high CBD or LDN...

Santino

Update:
I reacted very soon against the THCA tincture. I guess that it was because of the high content of vitamins and especially beta carotine (the tincture is dark green because of Chlorophyll and beta carotine).

So I had to stop because some of the flu like symptoms (headache behind the eyes or I would call it pressure behind the eyes, sore throat, joint pain). SO my body reacted to it as he did to everything :-/

After taking nothing for a few days and seeing just little improvement I decided kind of out of frustration to begin with LDN.

So yesterday I started with 1mg. Was 3 times awake last night, but no vivid dreams and I felt asleep very fast again.

But this morning I notice increase again in the flu like symptoms...If this is from the LDN, then it is likely that this will get much worse next morning or maybe already next night.

While I slept 6 hours everynight and felt awake, the last 5 days I have so low energy that I feel like I could sleep until 11am. I hate it to feel so lazy and slow.

But that is not from the LDN. Today I was awake at 8am and could get up well...

But as I said: I feel the reaction is beginning. I am pretty sure, that I also react to LDN. Either the "working" of this substance can counteract and suppress the reaction in some way (but then it should do that right now) or I soon have to stop it...

I will see. But then the options are getting worse and worse or to say it honestly: There is only FMT as intervention left and that can´t be done optimal because I cannot eat healthy so the microbiome cannot manifest itself in my body.

A healthy person who eats like this will also soon have less diversity in gut microbiome and would also get sick step by step...

Gondwanaland

@Santino I have read many people stating that they have been to back off from the LDN dosage and stay at less than 500mcg for a few weeks before being able to tolerate higher amounts.

I also have read some suggestions of taking it a few days/weeks on and a few days/weeks off when it stops working.

No doubt LDN will cause reactions upon beginning. I don't know enough about it, but I wonder how much its anti-inflammatory properties can influence the microbiome.

I would say try to find a way to tolerate it... Perhaps it can even help you for the FMT, but I really don't know.

Santino

I am in a fmt group on facebook and I know three people who don´have any reaction from LDN. And the "official" LDN site says that most people don´t have any side effects. 10%-30% according studies experience vivid dream or sleep problems.

So it is more the exception than the rule to get side effects from 1mg-4.5mg naltrexone.

LDN also is not intended to change microbiome. I am not sure if you meant that with your post. I never read about that at least.

But you are right that it might help with the FMT IF it helps me to fight inflammation + if it dampens down some of the flu like symptoms..

But first I need to tolerate it. And I even reacted to mikrograms of other stuff like Sodiumselenite. So if my body once is sensitive it does not matter if I take 0.5mg or 10mg. It is like an allergic reaction then.

I am talking about the rare reaction which is the problem all the time.

But I will see if that will happen or not...Mostly this happens within 1-10 days. With NAC it took 10 days until my body builded sensitivity and then I reacted very heavy at once...