When the 'Holiday Season' Is No Holiday at all for Those With ME/CFS
Is December getting to you? Jody Smith shares some thoughts on some of the struggles that all too often attend this time of year ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Heartburn... Not sure if right thread?

Discussion in 'Gastrointestinal and Urinary' started by Rach_Doug, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Rach_Doug

Rach_Doug

Evening all, new to ME.. Only a couple of months into diagnosis so symptoms are still all over the place. Short and sweet... Does anyone get heartburn really bad?

Ive only ever suffered during my pregnancies but its so extreme lately that I've done 3 tests in the last 10 weeks!

It just won't go away!

2. Plum

Plum Senior Member

UK
    Yes. Mine was due to food allergies and a gut condition.

Rach_Doug likes this.
  3. raghav

raghav Senior Member

India
    Could be due to a sluggish intestine (Intestinal hypomitility). Better consult a gastroeneterologist.

4. Timaca

Timaca Senior Member

I'm sorry......I can relate. I'm thin and don't eat any trigger food for heartburn (check out what those are....easy to find online)...and several years I developed heartburn also. It was almost constant, and was even there when I woke up in the morning!! I had an endoscopy done and it was obvious that there was some irritation to my esophagus. What has helped me a lot was various probiotics. I still have heartburn from time to time, but it is more of a background thing now rather than in my face (or in my throat as the case truly was). I'd like for it to be totally solved...and it isn't yet, but most days I rarely think about it, so that is a gift.

5. Judee

Judee Senior Member

Wisconsin
    DGL helps me and my mom when we are bringing up acid. It has to mix with the saliva for some reason so we buy powder but chewables are also available.

I agree with @Plum though. The best relief has come in discovering and avoiding foods/substances that trigger it, like tomatoes and spicy foods or Tylenol (even that) or any other pain relievers.

Hope you get some help with this soon. It can be frustrating as well as irritating to the lungs if you aspirate it.

*If you are pregnant or nursing, you might want to avoid the DGL.

**Also if you have high blood pressure, if/when you can use it, make sure only to use this form. Regular licorice can cause high blood pressure.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    Plum likes this.
  6. PatJ

PatJ Forum Support Assistant

Canada
    Heartburn can be caused by low stomach acid as well. Low stomach acid is common in people with ME/CFS. I've had to take betaine HCL with pepsin for many years because my stomach produces barely any acid.

This article contains details, symptoms of low stomach acid, and some remedies.

From the article:
    And this article details a few more things you can do about low stomach acid (if that's the cause in your case).

Sushi likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.