• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Heartburn etc. after eating carb?

Plum

Hi

I am having a huge problem with carbohydrate and was wondering if anyone else has had this and can point me in the direction of some good info/resources..

I recently ended up in hospital with bad gastritis. Before this I would get really bad GERD after eating but not always. I've been gluten free for most of the time I've had severe ME. But I wasn't aware how bad things were.

I have now learnt that if I eat carb - potatoes, rice, gluten, any other grains; that I end up with terrible heartburn and food coming back up.

If I don't eat carb but stick to meat and veg only then I feel ok. I've also found eating my meals in 2 portions helps instead of all in one go.

Does any one else have this?

I have been reading about low stomach acid, need for digestive enzymes etc but is there more that I'm not aware of?

Thank you in advance :)

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Plum

I started taking trienza digestive enzymes recently - it means I can eat gluten free oats now. I've stayed on a low carb diet for the past few weeks to help with the night sweats - they're down 75% now. I don't normally have a problem with carbs if I try to just eat veg with them rather than protein.

I had the lowest stomach acid the lab had ever tested some years ago - I take lamberts betaine - its the only one I tolerate.. strange. Not every day though maybe 3/4 times a week - don't have much actual stomach problem now. just chronic constipation...........

I tried dig enzymes some years ago, a nutritionist I had sent me some but I couldn't tolerate them, but trienza I can.
like you I'm okay if I only eat meat and veg - I had a pie - yes a pie last night - I was so tired and my hubbie was heating one up so - for the first time in 5 yrs I had pastry and felt rotten, this morning I have had acid reflux which I never get - your body tellsyou what it likes doesn't it? no more pies.............

Plum

Thanks. I've been splitting my meals in half and also just eating protein and veg. It feels much better.

About 6 months ago I started increasing the carb I was eating by including potatoes in my diet due to low temp. It did raise my temp by half a degree but now doesn't seem worth it!