• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Heart rate profile

BurnA

I know everyone will have different resting heart rates but how common is it for our heart rate to soar after very light activity. For example my resting heart rate is 60bpm, any movement about the house and it goes to 80-90, slow walk is about 100 and brisk walk is 120-130.
Is this profile universal for me/cfs patients or among me/cfs with POTS patients ?
Previously I was very fit and even during a spinning class my heart rate would not reach close to 150.

Chrisb

That sounds about right for me. Maybe up to 100 for slow movement about house. I'll let you know should brisk walking ever again be feasible. Bu they're just numbers as a GP told me when I was trying to persuade him that I had orthostatic hypertension, and having been advised by his colleague to buy a monitor!

jimells

I've had mild POTS for years and had pretty good results with .05 mg Florinef + salt + water. About two months ago the POTS started getting much worse, to the point where every time I got out of bed my pulse immediately went from 60 to 100. Withing ten minutes I would regularly measure 120 and feel awful - rubbery legs, etc.

I've been to the Emergency Room twice in the past three weeks to get "pumped up" with IV saline - kinda like a leaky tire. I doubled the dose of Florinef but it had no apparent effect, then went back to .05 mg because in the past .1 mg Florinef seemed to cause daily headaches - and I have too many of them already.

About five days ago I remembered that a few years ago I took a small dose of Atenolol for POTS but I stopped because it didn't seem to help and the POTS was mild anyway. I found I still had some Atenolol and tried it again, and the effect was nearly immediate and quite dramatic. My pulse has remained below 100 ever since, even on the few occasions that I have been on my feet for a half-hour at a time. The daily dose I am taking is about 10 mg, that is, 1/2 of a 25 mg pill. This is far below the usual dose of 50 - 100 mg for hypertension.

The atenolol may also be helping the headaches, so that is a double win.

Snookum96

I'm the same way. Supine I'm about 70, seated about 90-100.

Standing I'm 125-130 and moving about the house from 130-150.

I do have POTS, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bit of deconditioning in there as well as been a while since I've been able to go for walks or anything.

Richard7

Interesting, resting is usually 47-56 for me, standing 90-110.

But what I find weird is that the lightheadedness does not seem to be directly related to the heart rate.

I had some bad days at the begining of the week where I was over 100 when standing and very lightheaded and when I lay down it took quite a while for my heart rate to come back down maybe 15 minutes (I'm not sure I was too out of it to be sure)

Then on friday I was walking around the house feeling like I almost had enough energy to do the dishes and I was 116 or something.

It still seems crazy that I have a state called almost well enough to do the dishes, but I am in it now and hoping it clears.

Snookum96

Interesting, resting is usually 47-56 for me, standing 90-110.

But what I find weird is that the lightheadedness does not seem to be directly related to the heart rate.

I had some bad days at the begining of the week where I was over 100 when standing and very lightheaded and when I lay down it took quite a while for my heart rate to come back down maybe 15 minutes (I'm not sure I was too out of it to be sure)

Then on friday I was walking around the house feeling like I almost had enough energy to do the dishes and I was 116 or something.

It still seems crazy that I have a state called almost well enough to do the dishes, but I am in it now and hoping it clears.

I don't think my lightheaded news is related to my heart rate either. Possibly related to dehydration or electrolyte imbalance? At this point there's so much wrong I don't even know how to go about evaluating things.