• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Heart palpitations.... Is there anything that helps??

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
I have a pounding heartbeat 24/7. For a few years I took atenolol, but then my doctor switched me to metoprolol XR so that the level is sustained better. I never found any supplements that helped.

Stretched

@Stretched what dose do u take take mag taurate and k?

Correction: s/b Potassium Citrate not Nitrate; sorry (though this food preservative would likely work in low dose;&)
Otherwise, dose is standard for me: 1 or 2 capsules late evening since my 'skipping' usually occurs at bedtime.

BTW, there's a herbal product I came across recently, 'Heart Calm' by Vital Biologics, at Amazon.com.
It's ingredients are familiar and seem appropriate, if not overkill. Here's the blurb if you want to check it out:
Heart Calm
About the Product
  • Designed Specifically For Heart Palpitation Relief in Healthy Hearts
  • Helps Support and Maintain a Healthy Heart Rhythm + Reduce Feelings of Stress, Anxiety and Panic By Lowering Adrenaline Levels
  • Proprietary Magnesium Chelate Complex Rapidly Restores and Maintains Proper Magnesium Levels
  • All Natural- No Gluten, Artificial Colors, Flavors or Preservatives
  • GUARANTEED HEART PALPITATION RELIEF- If you don't feel that Heart Calm has helped to significantly reduce your heart palpitations, we will refund 100% of your purchase price, no questions asked

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
BTW, there's a herbal product I came across recently, 'Heart Calm' by Vital Biologics, at Amazon.com.
It's ingredients are familiar and seem appropriate, if not overkill. Here's the blurb if you want to check it out:
Heart Calm
About the Product
  • Designed Specifically For Heart Palpitation Relief in Healthy Hearts
  • Helps Support and Maintain a Healthy Heart Rhythm + Reduce Feelings of Stress, Anxiety and Panic By Lowering Adrenaline Levels
  • Proprietary Magnesium Chelate Complex Rapidly Restores and Maintains Proper Magnesium Levels
  • All Natural- No Gluten, Artificial Colors, Flavors or Preservatives
  • GUARANTEED HEART PALPITATION RELIEF- If you don't feel that Heart Calm has helped to significantly reduce your heart palpitations, we will refund 100% of your purchase price, no questions asked
I just took a look at this product and IMHO it is way overpriced considering its ingredients. I've tried all of the ingredients listed (magnesium, potassium, taurine and CoQ10) with no luck. Here's the link in case anyone wants to take a look:
www.amazon.com/Palpitations-All-Natural-Designed-Maintain-Capsules/dp/B00QT3EZ1C

Firefly_

I was having daily problems with heart pounding away for no reason and palpitations. Drs took me off thyroid meds which helped to a degree then added atenalol as needed (only need it a couple of days a week now) I usually only take it at night because it makes me more tired than I already am.

I have to add that I wasn't put on thyroid due to labs but only symptoms of hypothyroidism so I believe that really exacerbated the problem.

Maria1

Silence speaks volumes
Interesting thyroid is mentioned. I had horrible palpitations at the start of my Illness and a higher than normal heart rate. I was investigated by a cardiologist who told me it was symptomatic of CFS or ME. I've also had it worse when my ferritin is low.

However, about year ago I was getting pounding, whooshing noises inside my ears, particularly at night. It actually took me a while to realise it wasn't a helicopter overhead. It was really uncomfortable. My GP tested thyroid and decided I was borderline hypothyroid (had been all along), but also put me on proponalol. The propanalol stopped the heartbeat pounding in my ear.

After few months on thyroxine, I stopped the propanalol myself, as I realised the heartbeat might have actually been a symptom of hypothyroidism. The pounding hasn't come back. I'm also working to get my ferritin up to over 80 and its getting there so that might be an answer too.

Seven7

Seven
Here is my personal experience, Mine was a sign of bad Dysautonomia, nothing I did (mag, Potasium, no caffein, no glutten) fixed it, so I am on beta blockers and that horrid feeling, fatigue and heart pain is gone. That has helped me work on my OI (streghing core and legs) so I feel I am getting better again.

Stretched

1. I just took a look at this product and IMHO it is way overpriced considering its ingredients. I've tried all of the ingredients listed (magnesium, potassium, taurine and CoQ10) with no luck.

'Nice of you to hot-link my given reference... .

You stated you 'tried all the ingredients listed... No luck... .'

It is very hard to assess any anticipated effects without your clarifying what you mean, e.g. did you try all the precise ingredients (proprietary, as labeled) in the product and/or at those doses; or/and does it mean you tried a-z permutations of the components at higher and lower doses? Or, did you mean that you tried each one of the compounds at some random dose, sic, one at a time?

Such differences are significant. Without knowing the makeup of your reported experience a reader does not have any idea what to expect from your nebulous input, nor to your opinion as to cost.

I found Heart Calm costs less than the average sum of a 30-day, standard supply of each ingredient on the label. (FWIW, I have no vested interests whatsoever in in the subject product nor the company.)

Last edited:

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
It doesn't necessarily come with anxiety, but most often comes with being "easily startled" so for example every little sound makes me jump.

This document about norepinephrine includes the following paragraph:
Moderately high levels of norepinephrine create a sense of arousal that becomes uncomfortable. Remembering that this neurotransmitter is strongly involved in creating physical reactions, moderate increases create worry, anxiety, increased startle reflex, jumpiness, fears of crowds & tight places, impaired concentration, restless sleep, and physical changes. The physical symptoms may include rapid fatigue, muscle tension/cramps, irritability, and a sense of being on edge.

Although you've said it doesn't necessarily come with anxiety, do you notice any of the other symptoms listed in the quote other than the increased startle reflex?

Kitsune

Just a thank-you to the posters here who mentioned potassium. I know the OP said it didn't help in their case, but it was the thing I ended up needing myself. This condition can come with such a mysterious package of symptoms; one that I haven't told anyone about, because it's embarrassing, is that I get a bout of diarrhoea every single morning about 20 minutes after I've eaten breakfast. It doesn't matter what I've eaten, either. I obviously built up an electrolyte imbalance that ended up making me feel quite poorly until I started getting some potassium back into my system. I've started taking psyllium husk to try to do something about the problem at source, but this has served as a reminder for me that adequate and balanced electrolytes are crucial not only for the heart, but the overall body as well.

Kathevans

I've had all sorts of heart irregularities from palpitations, to wildly pounding atrial fibrillation, to fairly benign PVCs, or premature ventricular contractions. I've been wired multiple times, done multiple stress tests and even learned alternate nostril breathing, which increases the nitrous oxide in your body, which helps for some reason (I've forgotten why!:redface:) and affects the autonomic nervous system, etc. You might check this out: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3276936/

I always felt there was some stomach connection, possibly bacterial, but I can't say I've figured that out. A probiotic definitely seemed to help, so I kept it up. I also started taking magnesium citrate in lemon juice each day and perhaps that helped as well. About 400 mg in two servings. I've also worked with beta-blockers. Most rob me of sleep, but I did find I could tolerate Bisoprolol--at doses so low you can't get it here in the states, but I break a tablet into quarters. At one point I only needed 1/8 of a tablet, so I had it compounded at a pharmacy. And since I began to work with methylation, I found my already low potassium levels--about 4.1--needed a boost. Whenever I need more, I tend to have pvcs and some slight irregularities. When I catch it and drink 1/2 tsp of potassium gluconate powder, I find it returns my heart to regular rhythms instantly. If I've eaten, it might take a bit longer to absorb.

Best of luck!

Richard7

I get a bout of diarrhoea every single morning about 20 minutes after I've eaten breakfast. It doesn't matter what I've eaten, either.

This use to happen to me in what I think might have been my first bout of CFS.

I was diagnosed with CFS in 2003 but had an earlier illness in 2000 -2002 that seems in retrospect to have been CFS.

It was not after 20 minutes, it was more like an hour or so. I would eat then go to work and within half an hour or maybe and hour (its a long time ago) I would go to the toilet with explosive diarrhoea that just seemed to wash me out.

I have had a lot of diarrhoea and constipation since, but it was only during this period that I really felt like the food was just flying straight through me.

At the time I had no idea about electrolytes.

I hope the psyllium works for you, I don't tolerate it and understand that allergy to it can be an issue.

My gut has been on a bit of a journey. I still note every almost normal stool, but things seem to be getting much better.

I know you have been into paleo and are probably quite well read on gut issues, but you may find the responses I wrote to scotty81's questions about SIBO useful.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/how-to-heal-the-gut-without-provoking-sibo.39729/