International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day Is On May 12, 2018
Thomas Hennessy, Jr., selected May 12th to be our international awareness day back in 1992. He knew that May 12th had also been the birthday of Florence Nightingale. She was the English army nurse who helped to found the Red Cross as well as the first school of nursing in the world.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Health declined after using Biopure microminerals

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by renski, Nov 30, 2018.

1. renski

renski Senior Member

Hi - about 7 weeks ago I took a small amount of this supplement called Biopure microminerals, initially I felt better but crashed about 24 hours later and have had chronic anxiety/depression/insomnia since then.

I've been running hair mineral analysis's every 6 months or so and I ran one about a month after taking this supplement, there seem to be some significant changes but I can't understand why:
    - I seem to be dumping magnesium and boron now
    - I'm no longer dumping copper
    - My vanadium has dropped significantly
    - Sodium has gone up, it's always been very low

It's as though my kidneys have stopped functioning, does anyone know what might have happened here? I'm not sure what mechanism causes the body to dump copper but I'm thinking something has broken because the copper has stopped dumping and magnesium/boron dumping is unusual.

thanks

Attached Files:

2. Learner1

Learner1 Forum Support Assistant

Pacific Northwest
    A few thoughts come to mind:
    • Hair may not give the best picture of minerals. Doctors Data also has urine/provoked urine tests ehich may give different results, depending on what path your body is using to excrete minerals. Provoked would also show true toxicity, which this test wouldn't show...
    • A shortage of selenium could mean you're short of glutathione, which might also be the case too if your B12 is low. What is your methylmalonic acid level?
    • All of these nutrients work with other cofactors. The fact that you've added minerals (I can't tell what kind fron the link you gave), maybe unblocked something and brought you to the next bottleneck. You'd also have to see where all your vitamin, lipid and amino acid levels are.
    • As the report says, copper could still be low. Can you do a standard test for copper and ceruloplasmin?
    • Both copper and manganese are used to made superoxide dismutase. Being short could lead to a peroxynitrite problem which could damage membranes and impair mitochondrial function.
    I think you need more info...

taniaaust1 likes this.
  3. renski

renski Senior Member

Thanks @Learner1: ceruloplasmin is low, rbc copper has always been low but my hair copper has always been high, which apparently is the body dumping it but for some reason my body has stopped dumping it.. whatever mechanism does that seems to have broke. My B12 is low I think, the methylmalonic has been elevated a little in the past but I know cobalt/lithium have always been low, for some reason they increased in my last test.

Learner1 likes this.
  4. Judee

Judee Senior Member

Wisconsin
    I've always been a bit leery of the liquid micro mineral products. They often contain trace amounts of bad minerals too such as nickel, cadmium, fluoride, arsenic, etc. This product doesn't list those things but the way they do list their ingredients by saying: "Minerals and Elements include:" makes me think there could be more in there they are not telling us about.

Plus, these companies always defend those things by saying those minerals are "already in" the source of their product or "they are within safe limits set by the government, etc."

Anyway, I would check with the company for some documentation of all the ingredients and then decide if you want to keep taking them because to my probably simplistic way of thinking of things, if the good minerals in the product make you feel better, couldn't the bad minerals make you feel worse? And people with ME/CFS are super hypersensitive to things as it is.

Hope you start feeling better again soon.

5. Learner1

Learner1 Forum Support Assistant

Pacific Northwest
    From beyondfunctional.com:
    I need about 10mg a day of B12, so please don't go out and use the dosage above without being checked.

Have you been checked for Wilson's disease?

http://www.clevelandclinicmeded.com/medicalpubs/diseasemanagement/hepatology/wilson-disease/

This has some info on copper that might be helpful:

https://www.selfhacked.com/blog/copper-deficiency-blood-test-diseases/

S-VV likes this.
  6. LINE

LINE

USA
    I really don't see anything in that formula that could cause such adverse reactions in a short time. As another poster mentioned, perhaps there is something else in the formula but I am pretty sure they are forced to have truth in labeling. Perhaps an email enquiry would help.

Sodium and potassium balances generally revolve around adrenal health, typically with low levels of these two will indicate adrenal insufficiency which can cause some problems. Adrenals are active in the immune activation which is a centerpoint in ME - adrenals also respond to toxins and emotional/psychological stressors.

See more popular forum discussions.