• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Headaches and Chelation

Peyt

Hi,
I have tried chelation with ALA, Inositol, NAC and several other Chelators(Not all at once) through out the years and I have gotten a violent headache everytime... I have tried reducing the amount, and still got the headaches.

Does anyone have any information as far as how to deal with the headaches??
Thanks so much

NotThisGuy

How did u chelate?
Did you use Cutler's recommendation?
He suggest to take the chelators every few hours (according to their half life) to avoid heavy reactions.
I also didn't know that inositol is considered a chelator?

Peyt

Last edited:

NotThisGuy

Interesting about inositol.
However, you said you experience headaches after every chelator.
So I don't think it's the EDTA. If you only have headaches after EDTA it might be something else.
I don't know much about iron chelation, but from what I've read ALA should chelate iron if levels are too high.
You can join the yahoo group for frequent chelation.
You should take ALA every 3 hours for 2 days and make a break for 3 days after that.
Better get some knowlegde about Cutler, but with ALA every 3 hours you might not experience those headaches.

Learner1

Why are you trying to get rid of iron? Do you have hereditary hemochromatosis, an irregular iron study, or just high serum ferritin?

If you have hemochromatosis, phlebotomy would be the way to go.

Regarding the headaches, once you mobilize toxins, they must have a place to go or they'll get redeposited somewhere in your body. If you use ALA, that can loosen things up and helpfully redeposit them in your brain.

You can safely use it, but must get Phase III detox and Phase III working well first. Glutathione, B1, molybdenum, and taurine are helpful. Binders (matched to your toxins) are helpful.

Curcumin is a great broad spectulrum phase II detox agent. I've had IVs of it which removed the headache and nausea I had from detoxing too much too quickly.

Detoxing willy nilly isn't good. Best to have s strategy. Cutler is one way if you don't have a good doctor. Its very slow but steady. With doctor supervision you can go faster.

Peyt

Why are you trying to get rid of iron? Do you have hereditary hemochromatosis, an irregular iron study, or just high serum ferritin?

If you have hemochromatosis, phlebotomy would be the way to go.

Regarding the headaches, once you mobilize toxins, they must have a place to go or they'll get redeposited somewhere in your body. If you use ALA, that can loosen things up and helpfully redeposit them in your brain.

You can safely use it, but must get Phase III detox and Phase III working well first. Glutathione, B1, molybdenum, and taurine are helpful. Binders (matched to your toxins) are helpful.

Curcumin is a great broad spectulrum phase II detox agent. I've had IVs of it which removed the headache and nausea I had from detoxing too much too quickly.

Detoxing willy nilly isn't good. Best to have s strategy. Cutler is one way if you don't have a good doctor. Its very slow but steady. With doctor supervision you can go faster.

Thanks for your response,
I have tried all the supplements that you wrote about "Glutathione, B1, molybdenum, and taurine" and every single one of them has given me a violent headache!
As far as your first question, I have high serum ferritin. I don't have hemochromatosis.
If I were to pick between all the antioxidants I would pick Inositol (IP6) reason being it's one of the few that chelates Iron and also Uranium which showed very high in my hair test analysis. That way I can kill 2 birds with one stone.
Also, I can try taking the inositol every 3 hours while awake, but what do you do when sleep?

Learner1

High serum ferritin is an acute phase reactant, not necessarily high iron. Your liver is irritated by something... mine's been high in the past due to infection, detox, and cancer... Do an iron study if in doubt and have HFE genes tested.

Picking one antioxidant is not a good idea. It can get you into trouble. You need a balance. A good book is "The Antioxidant Miracle" by Lester Packer.

Do you have a sulfur problem? Have you tried binders? Sounds like you have a detox problem of some sort. Something is blocked or not moving fast enough or being mobilized too fast. Can you try a Genova Diagnostics NutrEval to help diagnose your problem?

Uranium detox should be professionally supervised. Not a DIY project....

Peyt

High serum ferritin is an acute phase reactant, not necessarily high iron. Your liver is irritated by something... mine's been high in the past due to infection, detox, and cancer... Do an iron study if in doubt and have HFE genes tested.

Picking one antioxidant is not a good idea. It can get you into trouble. You need a balance. A good book is "The Antioxidant Miracle" by Lester Packer.

Do you have a sulfur problem? Have you tried binders? Sounds like you have a detox problem of some sort. Something is blocked or not moving fast enough or being mobilized too fast. Can you try a Genova Diagnostics NutrEval to help diagnose your problem?

Uranium detox should be professionally supervised. Not a DIY project....
Well I am pretty sure it's inflammation of some sort ... I did a GI effects stool test a while back from Genova Diag. and it showed high lactoferrin which is usually a sign of inflammation.

Peyt

Not sure if I have a sulfur problem but I am looking at the list of supplements high in sulfur here : http://www.livingnetwork.co.za/chelationnetwork/food/high-sulfur-sulphur-food-list/
and I can tell you I have tried almost all of them and they all give me headache.

Gondwanaland

Headaches are always a sign of B2 deficiency for both my husband and myself.

Proceedings of the Nutrition Society (1995), 54, 509-517
Riboflavin-iron interactions with particular emphasis on the gastrointestinal tract
BY HILARY J. POWERS
The University Department of Paediatrics, Shefield Children’s Hospital, Shefield SIO 2TH

Riboflavin-responsive anaemia in man was described as early as the 1950s (Foy & Kondi, 1953, 1958). The characteristic features included an erythroid hypoplasia and reticulocytopenia. Xanthurenic aciduria, indicative of abnormal tryptophan metabolism, was also reported and suggested that some of the effects of riboflavin deficiency may be secondary to interference with pyridoxine metabolism (Rasmussen et al. 1979). Riboflavin depletion-repletion studies demonstrated that plasma Fe clearance, also, might be impaired in riboflavin deficiency in humans (Lane et al. 1964).
FERRITIN-IRON MOBILIZATION Ferritin is a predominantly intracellular Fe-storage protein. Fe is retained in the protein shell of ferritin in the oxidized form, Fe3+, and requires reduction in order to be released (Frieden & Osaki, 1974). Considerable interest has been shown in the likely physiological mechanism whereby ferritin-Fe could be mobilized; various biological reductants, such as ascorbic acid and glutathione, can reduce ferritin-Fe to Fe2+ but at rates that are unlikely to be of any physiological significance. Reduced flavins on the other hand are capable of reducing ferritin-Fe in vitro rapidly and quantitatively (Sirivech et al. 1974).