• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Have you ever tried an autoimmune diet protocol (like Paleo AIP)?

Gondwanaland

Hi KarenS, welcome to PR.

I have been following with interest the "eat meat, drink water" trend, since I have experienced transient salicylate intolerance myself.

I haven't looked deeper into it, but my feeling is that if one gets so much harm from eating vegetables, there is perhaps irreversible damage to the gut microbiota.

Strict carnivores like felines lack the glucuronidation liver pathway, while omnivores and herbivores have it on board. This pathway is involved in the metabolism of pollutants, chemicals and hormones, including plant hormones (salicylates, polyphenols etc).

Last time I looked, this pathway requires a lot of magnesium, and this was what helped me to recover. I don't really know if there is some research into it, but I firmly believe there should have been a severe loss of gut symbionts for a person to loose tolerance to plants. I have seen mention here at PR of gut microbes needed to oxalate digestion though.