• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Have Freddd's theories been backed up by Dr. Kendall Stewart?? Please read if interested!

Hi everyone

If you haven't heard of Doctor Kendall Stewart, he is a neurosurgeon based in Texas. I have listened to quite few of his podcasts and lectures and seems to be one of the most educated, qualified and experienced practitioners when it comes to SNP's, MTHFR, B12, Methylfolate and methylation.

Now, let me first start by saying. I know he has a supplement company he formulates for and I'm sure he is trying to sell his products but the information he gives out is quite useful.

Anyway, I was recently listening to his podcast and noticed that a several of his experiences and statements really seem to align and back up with several of Freddd's.

If you go to http://coffeewithdrstewart.podbean.com/ and listen to episode Methylation Mutations & Treatment: Intermediate Level Webinar on Oct 26 2015, he mentions several interesting things.

The first what seems to be what freddd would describe as "neurological brightening" at roughly 17:30 of the interview.

The second sounds exactly what freddd describes as "paradoxical/ doughnut hole folate deficiency" at roughly 20:25 of the interview.

I encourage everyone interested, to listen to the full interview and discuss what you think if you feel up to it!!

I'd also like to hear what @Freddd thinks if he's still around

Listen to some of his other podcasts if you have the time also. He's got some really good information he shares!!

Happy New Year Everyone!!

Aerose91

Thats interesting, thanks for sharing. Especially the part about not all glutathione is created equal. Damnit!!

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Thats interesting, thanks for sharing. Especially the part about not all glutathione is created equal.
Speaking about glutathione, here's some interesting info that I stumbled across on Ken Lassesen's blog. Perhaps a side benefit of the methylation protocol is that it helps feed L. Reuteri with more glutathione...
Glutathione is one of L.Reuteri essential foods (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21585317 ) so make sure that you supplement with it (I would suggest taking that 1 hr before the L.Reuteri) . This feeding of L. Reuteri may be one reason that it has positive effects on CFS patients (although the why of taking it comes from a different model).
He also throws out this interesting theory...
The reason that some people may be non-responders to Gluthathione could be as simple as having no L.Reuteri left to feed!
It's a common complaint, with many, that supplementing directly with glutathione causes bad side effects. I'm actually very familiar with this from first hand experience. The question is, if Lassesen's supposition about L. Reuteri is correct, why would the methylation protocol be a more effective way to increase glutathione without side effects?

L. Reuteri produces folate and cobalamin which also seems potentially related to the methylation protocol. From Lactobacillus reuteri (MicrobeWiki)...
L. reuteri has also been shown to produce folate and cobalamin, also known as vitamin B12, nutrients that many animals, including humans, require.

Last edited:
It's my understanding that "L. Reuteri" refers to a large family, not a single particular strain and that there are significant differences between strains. I also remember seeing various articles describing the folate and cobalamin production as insignificant when compared to human needs. Saying "Reuteri is good" is superficial and not that useful to us, since it can be found pretty much everywhere, other than long term antibiotic abuse there's probably no way to not have it in your gut.

Could there be something like one particular strain that can go missing from the gut or one that outperforms all the others as far as methylation requirements go? Is there something inhibiting its normal activity?

Just my 2c.

dannybex

Speaking about glutathione, here's some interesting info that I stumbled across on Ken Lassesen's blog. Perhaps a side benefit of the methylation protocol is that it helps feed L. Reuteri with more glutathione...

He also throws out this interesting theory...

It's a common complaint, with many, that supplementing directly with glutathione causes bad side effects. I'm actually very familiar with this from first hand experience. The question is, if Lassesen's supposition about L. Reuteri is correct, why would the methylation protocol be a more effective way to increase glutathione without side effects?

L. Reuteri produces folate and cobalamin which also seems potentially related to the methylation protocol. From Lactobacillus reuteri (MicrobeWiki)...

That's interesting @JPV -- hadn't seen that connection before, thanks for posting that.

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad reaction to glutathione. Which form or forms did you try?

I think it's worth noting that despite Freddd's many negative comments about glutathione, I believe it's the glutathione precursors he's had the negative reactions to -- NAC and undenatured whey. I don't believe he's ever taken nebulized or injectable glutathione, nor liposomal glutahtione. But of course maybe he has and will hopefully correct me if I missed his mention of trying those as well.

BTW, Ken's a great guy. If there's anyone's blog to follow, it's his. (He used to be a member of our local support group, even after he recovered for the 2nd time (or went into remission as he politely puts it) but then naturally became more interested in getting on with his life, concentrating on work, etc., until of course his brief relapse in 2012. He's FULL of energy...