• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

have flu: should I use immune-boosting supplements

Hi, I came down with the flu yesterday for the first time since knowing that I have CFS. In the past I would have automatically used immune-boosting supplements like elderberry, echinacea, etc. but it occurred to me that maybe I shouldn't stimulate the immune system since CFS may be related to auto-immune disorder? Anyone have thoughts on this? I hope I have posted this in the correct category. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Seven7

Seven
I am been given Modulators instead of boosting, If I take Boosters, I WILL KNOW, Equinacea, Prooboost... I get so intense flu like symptoms that is why I avoid it. If you feel better, I would do it. I have learn to trust my body.

Some people here do Need Boosters, Some Modulators and some Supressors. I knew before I got my Inmune profile that I did the best on modulators so trust whatever your body tells you. My 2 cents (Not a doctor or a pro or anything).

adreno

PR activist
I think I would go the other way; take some turmeric, ginger, Q10 and vitamin C to take the edge off. No reason to feel more bad than you have to. Unless your immune system is extremely weak, it shouldn't have trouble with a regular flu virus. I believe the inflammation (immune response) is actually more damaging than the virus itself.

*GG*

In addition to Vitamin C, I think 1 gram/hour is suggested. I would also do high doses of Vitamin D. How are your levels?

GG

ukxmrv

I'm better with Elderberry and Vit C when I have the flu but I can't tolerate echinacea at all.

Hope you feel better soon!

taniaaust1

I suggest "regular" high doses of C (make sure it is a good with which has also bioflavonoids for aborption). You need to take it at the very least twice daily as it doesnt stay in the system for long.

Thanks everyone, I didn't get as sick as I had feared, I had a temp of 100.6 for the first evening then none after that, and my symptoms were completely gone after several days. Maybe it wasn't the flu or I am taking better care of myself and it didn't linger.