• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Have any smokers switched to using electronic vapourisers?

peggy-sue

Brilliant, Rosie!

You need to learn to suck slowly and gently, not hard and fast as you would with a stinky.

Your throat will stop hurting and catching so much once it heals - it will become much more pleasant.

It is not the same habit at all.
It does take time to adjust and learn the new one as well as to heal. :nerd:

There has been a recent quite positive study published - carried out in Auckland:thumbsup:

http://www.healthnz.co.nz/ecig_effect-2.pdf

It doesn't matter if you give in and have the odd stinky.:p
What you need to count as positive is every stinky you don't have because you've had the electric stuff instead.

Firestormm

@rosie26 Believe it or not I was thinking about you in my meeting today! Another possible explanation - apart from it being a new experience - is that the cartomiser is allowing too much of a 'hit' into your mouth.

If you get on with these things, and then upgrade to something like mine for example - or Peggy-sue's which is similar I think:

You can buy different 'cartomizers' with different OHM values. The higher the value the less vapour and the greater the 'hit'.

Hope that's understandable! :)

N.B. I have the black ones at 2.4 Ohms because I like the 'hit' but vape less often :)

peggy-sue

:cautious: I'm not into ohms.... neither electrickal nor meditative ones. :p

The shop has computerised versions (they cost a bomb) and you can fiddle with your ohms and so on using them.
Just "toys for boys", I reckon. Too much fuss for me.

I was having trouble with mine the other week - I had just forgotten to suck gently and slowly.

I'm a bit slow on the uptake sometimes.:redface:

peggy-sue

I managed a bit of a wonky bubble on my second attempt - with assistance from somebody who did know what they were doing. It was smashed and put back to cullet immediately.

My first attempt, I blew too slowly and not enough. The glass cooled too fast for my puff to have any effect at all.

But you have to be careful not to blow too much - because the heat expands the air....

It only looks easy. It takes 10 years of training to make it look that way. The actual work has to be carried out very quickly, while the glass is at the correct temperature to do it.
(I will shut up now. :angel:I can blether about glass until the cows come home.:redface:)

rosie26

,Hi @Russell Firestormm :D it's hard to forget your previous name.

Lol Russell hope you didn't miss half the meeting thinking about me hahaha !!
I find meetings so boring.
I would rather not be at one if I can help it. I tend to walk out half way through as I start getting uncomfortable sitting so long.

Unfortunately I had to do this when Dr Nancy Kilmas was here in NZ.
That was a meeting I really wanted to hear all of, but no I couldn't bear to sit any longer, neck was getting sore, ME was kicking in. So I got up and left halfway through.

Yes I think I was getting too many "hits" of nicotine.
The next day I ran out of tobacco and had to just smoke the e cig and the rapid heartbeat went away.
I like that idea you mentioned of just smoking the e cig and having a real smoke as a "treat" when out sometimes :) Yes !!!!!!! Life is good when you can have a cigarette, well, helps me cope with the hard slog ME head job the ME physical symptoms gives me.

I will try those things you are having if I can find them here. The shop I go to is amazing. I actually hung around in the shop for half an hour, he had a stool chair there, so was able to sit and think of all the questions to ask and so I will do that again when I go in next.

xx

rosie26

Hi @peggy-sue :)

Your right about drawing on the e cig slow and gently, I discovered that a couple of days after I had bought it, that it worked better that way.

I think I could actually go down to a mild dose of nicotine as I think I am getting too much of a "hit" with this one. I bought the highest dose thinking at least it should be effective. Bit too effective really. ha !
The rapid heartbeat is telling me I have to make some adjustments. !!!!

btw- have you noticed the complan is tasting different !!! we are noticing it with the strawberry flavor.

xx

Last edited:

peggy-sue

You do seem to be "getting somewhere" with it Rosie.:thumbsup:

Rapid heartbeat I believe, is a direct result of a big dose of nicotine. It's a stimulant.
It does sound as if you need a lower dose.:alien:

But you are finding that you are getting the nicotine, you are getting the "experience" of ingesting it by inhalation,
you have the will to convert because of the huge benefit of the harm reduction to somebody with ME it will bring.

It's good enough for well folk, but for a MEer, extra oxygen and loss of the carbon monoxide, and improved circulation is a massive boon.:thumbsup:

Funnily enough, one of my biggest worries was about having my sense of taste and smell become MORE sensitive.
Or for things to smell and taste different.
It hasn't happened. The only thing I cannot stand the smell of now is cigarettes.
(But I didn't like that before. I put up with mine, but could not stand somebody else's as well :redface:)
The only thing that has changed taste is my carnitine complex. It is still vile - just differently vile.

Russell/Firestormm has pointed out he didn't smoke inside.
I only smoked in the utility room at the back of the house, out the back door.

I managed a big period of use of electric ones when on a long train journey followed by staying with non-smoking friends and being out and about with them.
So I was in a lot of "no smoking places" for long periods of time.

Being able to grab a few puffs on my electric lookalike made the whole process an awful lot easier,
but I was not madly puffing on it - I was trying to be discrete, just have enough nicotine to get by.

The extended period of being in "no smoking places" DID help my conversion process a great deal.
Being able to remain or stay in "no smoking places" comfortably is a huge boon.

I think too, that the new freedom that comes from not having to go off for a ciggie all the time is rewarding.
(I was actually worried about loosing that - I saw it as being able to take "time out for myself" sometimes.)

It sound like the folk in your brick and mortar shop might be quite like mine, Rosie!:)

They're all converted vapourers themselves, so they're quite happy to spend time with you and explain things..

and of course, in a shop, you can try different systems and flavours out.

(I haven't quite got used to calling myself a vapper...I prefer vapour spelled vapour and pronounced vapour.:p )

peggy-sue

;) I'm working on you too, aimossy. :thumbsup: I know you've been watching, I know you are interested.

Why not give one a go?
Just for using in the evenings when you are watching tv - rather than stinking the house out or having to go outside?

You don't have to convert completely at the start - although many folk do.

Every stinky you don't smoke is of benefit to you.:thumbsup:

William1426

[banned as spam]
Hi guys! I've bought an e-cig starter kit one week ago and I've tried 2 flavours untill now. It's more pleasing than smoking stinkies, I love chocolate flavours, but I don't know what flavours should I try from now on... Could you please suggest me some really goold e-liquids whitch you've vaped till now? Thank you in advance! I hope I'll stik with the e-cig and I'll prodly say "I've quit smoking using e-cigs!"

Last edited:

Calathea

If what you're smoking is weed and you don't actually want to be on the tobacco at all, a friend of mine switched to a vaporiser and managed to stop the baccy altogether very quickly. They're doing far better on it, and it's far more economical to use as well. I was actually the one who originally bought the vaporiser, I wanted to see if weed would help me with pain or sleep, but it didn't, so they borrowed it to try it out and ended up buying it off me. They're absolutely thrilled with it. It was the Arizer Solo, for what that's worth.