• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Have any of you tried urine therapy?

Kimsie

We are trying this out in our family because we think it could be a way to overcome autoimmune responses. We are using it in the same way that our little granddaughter is taking low dose allergen treatments (but hers is with conventional allergy antigens) - about 8 drops sublingually, hold for 30 seconds then swallow, no food or water for 15 minutes before and after.

I am curious whether anyone here has tried anything like this. It could be more volume, but if you dilute it or drink water or juice right after, it wouldn't be the same.

ukxmrv

It was one of the fads that swept through my ME group in the 80's. Sorry can't remember the dose but I think they tried both sublingually and swallowing it. No water or juice with the urine I remember - or straight after.

There were no good effects reported in my group. No harms either. We were desperate then and it was before there were most of the drugs ME and CFS patients use today.

barbc56

According to this article it's not a good idea to drink urine.

Drinking urine is called Urophagia. A new word to add to my vocabulary! The practice of drinking urine goes at least as far back as the Egyptian era. The article is rather interesting if you can get past the "ew" factor.
"There are no health benefits to drinking your own urine, and in fact I think it could be quite detrimental. Each time you put it back it will come out again even more concentrated and that is not good for health as it could damage the gut," she told The Independent. "If you are stranded, your body will try to conserve as much water as it can. Drinking your urine would be like drinking seawater." Except, less tasty
http://gizmodo.com/why-you-definitely-shouldnt-drink-your-own-pee-1648474064
Barb
ETA
Just in case you get stung by a rogue jellyfish, here's the proper first aid. I would have thought the opposite to be true, but it isn't!
Holstege recommend washing the area with saltwater. Such rinsing will deactivate those pesky nematocysts that are still hanging on.
A freshwater rinse will have the opposite effect. Any change to the balance of solutes, such as the concentration of salts inside and outside of the cnidocyte, sets off stinging. Adding freshwater to the sting site dilutes the salts outside the cell, unbalancing the solutes. In reaction to this change, the nematocysts in the cells release more venom--and cause more pain
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-or-fiction-urinating/
Hope I didn't get too off topic. I promise not to post more citations! Maybe I should brcome a Urophagoloiest. If I could work, that is. Maybe a job I could work çan from home as a consultant?

Last edited:

ahmo

I did it for around 2 months, about 4-5 years into being ill. I had no reliable protocols to follow, was unaware of pr forums. I was dosing in the range of drops, increasing. I had no impression of this being effective. But nothing would have helped until I got rid of gluten, got back the missing B12, folate, minerals.

Kimsie

Well, there is no doubt that it is important to get the needed supplements going and stop eating any foods that you are reacting to. These are both part of the protocol used for my granddaughter's LDI therapy that I didn't mention. Her doctor (Ty Vincent) says that in his experience the treatments work considerably better if the person is also taking high dose vitamin D3, so this could be a factor that has been overlooked in the past.

Kimsie

There are several theories about urine therapy, but what I am talking about here is that with allergies or autoimmune illnesses small amounts of the antigens are likely to be in the urine, so it can be used as a low dose antigen treatment. Some doctors have filtered it, etc, to make it suitable for injection, but since low dose antigen treatment can be done sublingually, straight urine might work as a treatment sublingually. (It is usual to use a midstream urine.)

I think it is worth a try but as mentioned above it would be more likely to work if the person gets their diet and supplements fixed up the best they can first, and takes D3 in pretty large doses. Dr. Vincent recommends 50,000 units a day for a month and then 10,000 a day for adults, but I don't know if you really have to go that high. I know our granddaughter starting improving when she started the high dose D3, then it plateaued and improved more when the treatments started (not urine, it was regular low dose food antigens).

@Kimsie, I used urine therapy several years ago before I was on the B12 protocol and although my fatigue did not improve, the three nodules on my thyroid completely disappeared within 30 days. My doctor was quite impressed. I drank 4 oz in the am and 4 oz in the afternoon. I did it for about 4 mo. Have considered going back to it but I don't know how that would work with all my sublingual B12.

Kimsie

@Kimsie, I used urine therapy several years ago before I was on the B12 protocol and although my fatigue did not improve, the three nodules on my thyroid completely disappeared within 30 days. My doctor was quite impressed. I drank 4 oz in the am and 4 oz in the afternoon. I did it for about 4 mo. Have considered going back to it but I don't know how that would work with all my sublingual B12.
Did you go without eating or drinking or rinsing your mouth for 15 minutes after one of the times each day?
Are you worried that you might be getting too much B12?

barbc56

There are several theories about urine therapy, but what I am talking about here is that with allergies or autoimmune illnesses small amounts of the antigens are likely to be in the urine, so it can be used as a low dose antigen treatment

Are there medications that might do the same thing?

Kimsie

Well, we don't even know yet if this will even do it, but the thing is that how do you know what the antigens are that are affecting you? That's why you use your own urine, because the antigen has to be in your body and fragments can end up in the urine.

With some illnesses the antigens are known. For instance, in the case of Lyme it is known to be associated with certain bacteria. Dr. Ty Vincent has found that he himself has this bacteria but he doesn't have Lyme, so he hypothesizes that this bacteria is rather common and people who get Lyme are those who are genetically capable of having an autoimmune response from this bacteria. He has made an LDI treatment using bacteria and had success with Lyme patients.

So if an illness turns out to be autoimmune, then using urine for treatment might be possible, and there are some people who have claimed that urine therapy has helped them with autoimmune diseases, all anecdotal.

It might be a matter of discovering the best way to do it and what supporting supplements, etc. are needed. Even if it only worked for a few people it would be worth exploring.

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
There are several theories about urine therapy, but what I am talking about here is that with allergies or autoimmune illnesses small amounts of the antigens are likely to be in the urine, so it can be used as a low dose antigen treatment.

This seems like strange reasoning. How do you think it ends up in your urine in the first place? If it is able to end up in the urine, the immune system has already been exposed to it in the first place. This kind of 're-exposure' has no benefit in principle.

Kimsie

This seems like strange reasoning. How do you think it ends up in your urine in the first place?.
We can't be sure it will be in the urine, but it could be in the urine because fragments of proteins (peptides) are normally in the urine.

"We found that healthy subjects excreted less than 200 mg of protein, but 3 to 4 g of peptides/g creatinine."

This would come to roughly 200 mg of protein and 3000-6000 mg of petides in the urine each day for an adult.

Since the ratio for treatment is in the range of tens of thousands - millions to one, it does not take very much. Since the body is attacking these substances or proteins, fragments could end up in the blood to be excreted.

From the Merck Manual:
To be able to recognize invaders, T cells need help from cells called antigen-presenting cells (such as dendritic cells—see Figure: How T Cells Recognize Antigens). These cells ingest an invader and break it into fragments.

If it is able to end up in the urine, the immune system has already been exposed to it in the first place.
Without exposure they wouldn't have the problem in the first place.
This kind of 're-exposure' has no benefit in principle.
Low dose antigen treatments are all "re-exposure" treatments.

Some parts of the body are designed to evaluate potential antigens and decide whether they are dangerous or not. Otherwise we might react to everything we eat.

"As a central cell type constantly monitoring changes in oral microbiota and orchestrating T-cell function, oral DCs are of major importance in deciding whether to induce immunity or tolerance." oral CD's are dendritic cells in the mouth (see above).

The purpose of the low dose antigen treatment is to retrain the immune system to tolerate these normal substances of the body that it has been attacking.

Last edited:
@Kimsie, Yes, as I recall, I waited the 15min period before and after. Why do you think I'm taking too much B12? I am following Freddd's protocol which requires hi dose B12. He is, in my opinion the expert on B12.

Kimsie

@Kimsie, Why do you think I'm taking too much B12?

I wasn't meaning to say anything like that, LOL. When you said you wondered how it would work with all your B12, I thought you meant that if there was B12 in the urine you might get too much if you did UT, that's all.

@Kimsie, No, I don't think that would be a problem. The thing is, I take a lot of supplements and a lot of sublinguals. Don't know if I can work it in now. We'll see. I was impressed with Martha Christy's story. She recovered from CFS with urine therapy.

Typically, urine is made up of 95 per cent water and 5 per cent dissolved or suspended solids including urea, plus chloride, sodium and potassium ions.

I agree with @Snow Leopard Nobody has been cured of ME/CFS via urine therapy. Anybody claiming that is just taking the piss.:rofl: I would hate to see a story in the Daily Mail claiming how ME/CFS patients can be cured by drinking their urine. If we want to be taken seriously... well this isn't the way.:eek:

Why drink your urine -- you could get some supplements or an energy drink with the electrolytes in them if you feel your body is deficient.