• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has Suramin ever been tried on Post Ebola Syndrome?

Jesse2233

Had this thought the other day... I image the answer is probably yes given the wide availability of Suramin in West Africa, the prevalence of both Ebola and African sleeping sickness there, and the possibility a doctor or researcher there has intuitively or inductively connected anti-purinergic therapy to a hypometabolic state.

Since Post Ebola Syndrome may likely be ME (or a very close metabolic end result), knowing the results of potential Suramin treatment in this cohort could give us a kid of preview of Dr Naviaux's upcoming trials. Additionally, anecdotal or reported evidence could perhaps inform Dr Naviaux's dosing schedule and monitoring of side effects

Edit: Interestingly Suramin has been found to inhibit entry of the Ebola virus https://virologyj.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12985-016-0607-2

It's unclear what if anything that portends for Post Ebola Syndrome

Last edited:

alex3619

I suspect there are a host of post crisis syndromes, which probably share many core mechanisms. Those core mechanisms are what I think ME, or some other term that is used, will turn out to be.

I have never read anything about the use of suramin for post ebola. One issue I think is that post ebola is a relatively new realization, we never had a major outbreak where this would be obvious until that last big one. So the useful research history is likely to be brief.

Rather than them helping us, I suspect that ME research will help them instead, though ebola is so scary they may get more research funding than we do.

Jesse2233

Yes that's probably true.

Still though, it would be interesting to ask a doctor in Monrovia or Freetown about Suramin for Post Ebola.

Has anyone ever seen any posters from West Africa on this board?