• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone tried medical grade marijuana for their ME/CFS symptoms?

Kenshin

I want to get access to medical marijuana because I feel that the cbd products at a dispensary may be more varied and cheaper than the ones I can get online. I also may experiment with occasional smoking of weed that has some THC. people say that THC helps activate the CBD, even at small doses. THC is anti-androgenic and bad for sleep quality, so overall I don't want to use it much, but occasionally seems alright, and I want to see if small amounts help the cbd hit harder

THC is only anti androgenic as an isolate (Ie Marinol/synthetic THC)
The amount of THC you get when smoking weed, which is also modulated by the "entourage effect" of the other cannabinoids and terpenes contained in the weed, does not produce any noticeable anti androgenic effeects.
:D

jesse's mom

Can someone help me out with the strains, and the potency. Cannabis is now easily available in Canada.
What strain (not just indica and sativa) ,as there seem to be all sorts of names in each line, would be recommended for say Sleep? What for inflammation? What dosage? We have tried edible oil, but want to try further. Thanks.

I think a dispensary would be able to answer all these questions for you.
So Lucky Canada is so dang Cool!!!!
I bet you can find these answers online as well.
So far I have to go out of state and take my chances...

perrier

I think a dispensary would be able to answer all these questions for you.
So Lucky Canada is so dang Cool!!!!
I bet you can find these answers online as well.
So far I have to go out of state and take my chances...
I actually have tried the dispensary, as they are technically medical. Unfortunately, the young chaps there don't seem to have a good sense. They recommended two products which we purchased but from my reading this is a whole world, like cheese. You have to know your stuff. And the chaps there are quite young and just doing the sales. So, I figured perhaps someone here knew more

BadBadBear

I looked at CDB oils at dispensaries, but didn't find anything that met my criteria of organic, no sugar, and low or no THC. Fortunately my Integrative MD is now carrying such a product (with no THC).

CDB definitely seems to help me sleep. Have not been on it long enough to tell how well it works for inflammation.

jesse's mom

I was shopping on Amazon this morning and saw a book that might answer your questions on this topic.
Marijuana: Guide to Illness and Pain Management, by Mary Solomon.
I hope you have a good day!

Starsister

I've mentioned this somewhere before but I haven't gotten any help from CBD oil from hemp..Herbal Renewals brand. Then i knew somebody who was smuggling into our state the real medical quality 50/50 % CBD/THC so I tried it. Glad I was home, but unfortunately alone. Regular suggested dose was 4 sprays under tongue...I took two, and soon felt horrible and psychotic. My consciousness was skipping every few seconds..it was like living an old film in a projector , missing every two frames. I couldn't think sequentially, was unable to talk when a friend dropped by, and couldn't even watch tv or listen as nothing made sense. I was miserable for at least 5 hours and it didn't even take the pain away.

I made the mistake of trying to cut something in the kitchen with a large knife and the knife dropped out of my hand I guess because the next thing I knew it was on the floor ...just barely missed my bare foot. For me, it made me just as psychotic as when I'd tried smoking non medical grade. Everybody is different though. The gal who gave it to me is a surgical nurse and a pot head....hopefully not smoking prior to surgery but I would not bet on it...That stuff didn't do anything for her.

Kenshin

I've mentioned this somewhere before but I haven't gotten any help from CBD oil from hemp..Herbal Renewals brand. Then i knew somebody who was smuggling into our state the real medical quality 50/50 % CBD/THC so I tried it. Glad I was home, but unfortunately alone. Regular suggested dose was 4 sprays under tongue...I took two, and soon felt horrible and psychotic. My consciousness was skipping every few seconds..it was like living an old film in a projector , missing every two frames. I couldn't think sequentially, was unable to talk when a friend dropped by, and couldn't even watch tv or listen as nothing made sense. I was miserable for at least 5 hours and it didn't even take the pain away.

I made the mistake of trying to cut something in the kitchen with a large knife and the knife dropped out of my hand I guess because the next thing I knew it was on the floor ...just barely missed my bare foot. For me, it made me just as psychotic as when I'd tried smoking non medical grade. Everybody is different though. The gal who gave it to me is a surgical nurse and a pot head....hopefully not smoking prior to surgery but I would not bet on it...That stuff didn't do anything for her.

Classic MJ "overdose". I'm sorry you went through that because it's horrible, Im surprised it wasn't worse than the time you smoked it because edibles usually are...

Rrrr

there are lots of anecdotal stories of medical marijuana (mm?) helping with pain and inflammation. i do not have any specific sources except what is on this website for this mm consultant.

https://www.ezrahelps.com/

he gives weekly free talks via facebook, and has a lot of videos on his website, and is coming out with a book on mm.

i know two friends with ME who say mm has helped them a lot.

apparently, the temperature of the burn of the flower/herb/weed will cause different symptoms to come or go. so a high burn causes anxiety, and a low burn causes calm. i don't know if i have this right or not, but that is something i have heard.

Starsister

@Kenshin ...this is helpful to know that others have experienced the same reaction to pot. I had already cut the dose in half, being cautious. So you think if I just took one spray under tongue I might have felt ok? The few weeks before when I smoked it I had the same problem, I only took maybe two or three puffs but it burned my lungs and my lungs were congested and burning for several days, so I will never try to smoke anything again. I hope people are staying off the roads when they smoke if they are sensitive. I shouldn't have been driving but had to leave where I was at because it was the home of my friend who had just died. I couldn't even figure out who I was or where and had to concentrate so hard to stay in the road. Didn't realize it was that bad till I'd driven away otherwise i would have asked to stay longer.

I'd sure love there to be an option like pot for pain since alcohol makes me sick, and I'm allergic to opioids. My experience has made me question that I've always thought pot should be legalized, but I see it could happen someday in my state and don't know whether to be happy, or stay off the roads in fear of folks like me driving under the influence! :eek:

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I'd sure love there to be an option like pot for pain since alcohol makes me sick, and I'm allergic to opioids.
Everyone's reaction is different so it is important to be quadruple cautious when trying this. There are also a lot of variables from the blend to the mode of delivery to the temperature if smoking or vaporizing. A low temperature and a tiny "sip" rather than a puff goes a long way to prevent lung and throat irritation. I'm hearing really good symptom benefits when you get all these factors personally tailored--improved sleep, prevention of PEM, reduction in pain.

Kenshin

@Starsister Since you are sensative to pot (and there are quite a few who are), I would probably not take the tincture again that gave you the bad symptoms, maybe try a different one from a different strain at a low dose.
Remember all strains give different effects and some are known as relaxing or anti stress types.

Mj is way better for the body compared to alcohol and opioids. Mj = Non Toxic.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I looked at CDB oils at dispensaries, but didn't find anything that met my criteria of organic, no sugar, and low or no THC. Fortunately my Integrative MD is now carrying such a product (with no THC).
CDB definitely seems to help me sleep. Have not been on it long enough to tell how well it works for inflammation.
Can someone help me out with the strains, and the potency. Cannabis is now easily available in Canada.
What strain (not just indica and sativa) ,as there seem to be all sorts of names in each line, would be recommended for say Sleep? What for inflammation? What dosage? We have tried edible oil, but want to try further. Thanks.
Good basic info from a dispensary is important--like the percentage of the different cannabinoids, the mgs or units delivered by different methods, but unfortunately response is going to be very individual. There are some broad recommendations (like Indica for sleep and inflammation) but for some that may not be true at all. There are all sorts of delivery methods now--each with a different rate of metabolization etc. and that is good to know, but how you will respond comes down to try and see. Some seem not to tolerate THC while others find that all their benefits come from THC. Reading experiences here, it seems to be another case of "low and slow" being the way to proceed.

That said, has anyone tried an Indica salve for pain?

PracticingAcceptance

I smoked weed a few days ago. It was the first time since I've had ME.

It made me talk faster, rock my body (didn't want to stop), dance, laugh hysterically. I wasn't aware of feeling sleepy so I stayed up later than I should. I did get the high, where I had no memory of what had just gone on before. I got out of breath from talking, so I don't think it magically made everything better. It did change my experience of pain - I could feel it was there, but it didn't feel as bad. That effect lasted to the next day.

I wouldn't have spent all that energy if I could control myself. I was concerned about PEM. It's several days later and I only had as much exhaustion over the last few days as if I didn't smoke weed. So maybe there's an effect on symptoms which is good enough to make up for the extra energy spent while high.

Overall it doesn't seem harmful, or particularly helpful. I think the laughter may have helped the most.

CBD oil is so expensive. I'm going to wait until it gets popular enough to get cheaper to try it. I'd be open to getting high again but that depends on the people around me.

jesse's mom

I smoked weed a few days ago. It was the first time since I've had ME.

It made me talk faster, rock my body (didn't want to stop), dance, laugh hysterically. I wasn't aware of feeling sleepy so I stayed up later than I should. I did get the high, where I had no memory of what had just gone on before. I got out of breath from talking, so I don't think it magically made everything better. It did change my experience of pain - I could feel it was there, but it didn't feel as bad. That effect lasted to the next day.

I wouldn't have spent all that energy if I could control myself. I was concerned about PEM. It's several days later and I only had as much exhaustion over the last few days as if I didn't smoke weed. So maybe there's an effect on symptoms which is good enough to make up for the extra energy spent while high.

Overall it doesn't seem harmful, or particularly helpful. I think the laughter may have helped the most.

CBD oil is so expensive. I'm going to wait until it gets popular enough to get cheaper to try it. I'd be open to getting high again but that depends on the people around me.

I am a weed advocate for our illness. I really like to use it for pain relief instead of being social with it these days. It helps me relax and sleep easier. I can and do take magnesium for the muscle spasms and such.

I'm glad you were able to try it and had some fun.

I do not get PEM from talking when I smoke... now the problem is the inhalation of the smoke. My lungs get congested if I smoke too much. I have tried edibles the ones I have tried do nothing. I am looking forward to edibles that work.

It is really nice to laugh!

Rufous McKinney

Scott- can you tell me more about your condition? I know my physical symptoms are most improved when I’m chilled...low anxiety. I know Valium can get me there but I don’t want to start a dependency thing. Any more intel you can share around your symptoms pre and post indica/sativa would be helpful. Thx
Daily for decades. Indica in the day, sativa in the evening.

For nausea, promotes neurogenesis, decreases inflammation, increases appetite, anti-tumor properties, makes me feel chillaxed. Also helps with pain (but I don't have that).

I have a colleague who says it helps with his depression and anxiety and now he's off anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds. A friend uses if for sleep (he has Crohn's and sleeps sooooo much better since using medical marijuana).

Perhaps go low and slow with high CBD and low THC as per @Learner1

Have used cannabis Indica Crosses for decades and I don't know how I would live without this tool. It stops much of the pain, reduces persistent nausea and the total "creepy feeling" which arrives in my cells most nites. Reduces bladder seizures another symptom I get frequently.

I took Zoloft for two days and it took me three months to recover from that horror. For instance, I came to with my jaw paralyzed (TMJ) at 2 am on nite 2.

After the pain stops, I seem to be a ble to feel a little better for a couple of hours. You know your a really ill person if you are smarter and more functional on Marijuana. And can you believe- I have VERY VERY sore throat. Lose my voice if I visit with a friend for 2 hours. And smoking that: relieves the sore throat. I take nothing else for pain and nausea. It enables me to go to sleep.

Rufous McKinney

Cannabis is rapidly becoming legal in some states in the US. I agree with Scott, but I only vape at night when I don't need to walk (PoTS).
It helps with sleep and appetite and nausea and pain.
way better than any opioids, although they have their place.

It also helps with anxiety.... unless I smoke too much or too fast remember it the buzz goes away if you don't fight it.
It lowers my blood pressure I know because I experimented with my BP cuff.

I am a believer that it helps me with my pain. the deep muscle pain and the pain in my feet and hands. It does not help me with migraine although I have heard it does for some.

Even my daughter says it is good medicine for me... she says the swelling in my neck goes down (spinal inflammation) I know I am also more tolerant of sound when I vape. I never mix with tobacco.... It is a stimulant and with me all stimulants are a set up for all my symptoms to increase

the down side, memory problems while I am high and low productivity. (I don't get that much done anymore anyhow...) giggle. It's after 4:20

If you chose to give it a try my biggest tip is time and place. Be in a safe, comfortable place with only people you trust. put on some music you like and make sure you are in control of your environment. (no paranoia) The high goes away within a couple of hours, but the benefits last about 12 hours.

Spinal Inflammation at the base of my skull seems a key symptom, which then radiates from there. I agree with everything you've said here. BP goes down about ten points. My daughter begs me to use some as she sees how much better I am afterwards. I neither try nor expect myself to be smart and busy or accomplishing things at the end of the day when the body is maxing out on the fatigue and pain. So I just give myself permission to feel far less miserable for a few hours, using a plant God gifted us with.